Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is it me or does the altitude deciding component of Areal AI simply suck

*This could be me being dumb. Also, the post is a bit all over the place*

Every single plane I make I come across one problem: I can't get planes on the right height. It doesn't matter to what I set the slider to (as long as it stays above 20), it will cruise at around 250-350 meters.

I've tried 50% of the whole craft being wings, etc. and 10 wings max (despite the size of the craft). With the wings, the craft drifts up naturately. With barely any, it seems to be the best.

Also something I've noticed: The pitch of the craft to gain height is a bit odd to me. If I set the cruising to 200, minimum altitude to 180 and if the craft is at 197m altitude, the craft won't stop ascending until it's around 250, where it will try and go down again, repeating this process. It also wants the craft to have a pitch of 11 degrees or more, launching the craft up, without trying to decrease the pitch until the crafts hits that altitude of 250.

One more thing about the pitch: If the craft's altitude is a lot lower than the cruising/minimum altitude, the craft wants to go up with 90 degrees.

I stopped building planes because of this. I only build copters since you don't need the areal AI height component to get it to it's right altitude.

Am I the only person with this problem or is this a more known thing.?

Edit: Apparently a lot of people seem to use PID/ACB's for hieght/pitch control. So what is the point of having it in the areal AI (at it's current state) in the first place?

You may be able to use PIDs to make it stay at the right altitude or you could possibly make something with spin blocks and ACBs. If you go for PIDs, set the test value to the altitude you want and then mess around until it works. In my experience, it works pretty well if you set the top option to max and leave the other 2, although that might not work.
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

Wings are very powerful now. Have fun with metal planes or even heavy armor planes. A good idea is to make most of your wings actually control surfaces(ailerons and elevators). And, as aperson said, PIDs are very useful. The aerial pitch PID has a setting for how aggressive it should pitch to change altitude.

or you can use AI PID to make AI can't control pitch. then using GP PID control pitch and altitude. Big Grin

But using PID's to get the craft on the right height defeats the purpose of the height element in areal AI's, lol. I'm almost tempted to LUA script everything.

LUA script gives you a lot more control over everything.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

"there's a height limit? nah I'll just keep ascending". not unavoidably high lift, because you can manually push it down- the AI just doesn't like to for some reason.