Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Engine Help? Confusion and trying to learn.

Okay it has been driving me a touch batty trying to figure out the 'engine tetris' for this, but I am trying to create a decent power engine if not modular and hopefully semi efficient engine, for a plane, or other small craft, that well, I either need multiple smaller engines, or a modular, but I know my maximum space is like, 3 tall, 3 wide, and, well with what I was previously using 6 long, but I think I can work that to be 8 long at most...but yeah, I'm going a bit batty trying to figure out how to cram a good bit of 'efficient fuel pwoer' int his amount of space, and would be tempted to just turn it to steam or RTG with the amount of confusion I'm having trying to get 'engine tetris' down correctly.
[Image: 76561197965955364.png]

How much power do you need? I may help you. Smile

3 tall by 3 wide will be tough to fit an engine in. As a basic rule, if you want to be efficient, you will have to use carbs and turbos. You can get the best efficiency from turbos by gathering all exhaust from cylinders in the same point (that is, build an "exhaust manifold") and then feed your turbos, one after each other (used as "in line) to get the full flow of exhaust in each turbo.

Which means: you will need sufficient space to fit cylinder, carburator, and turbo on top or on the sides, so 3x3 will be quite complicated. All depends on the power you need and the power per fuel you want to acheive; with one turbo per carb, you can get around 350-400 ppf; with two turbo per carb, you can go past 1000 ppf as long as you have sufficient flow of axhaust gas in your turbos. Finally, the issue will be the exhaust system: it will require some space.

I managed to get satisfying modular designs, but they are about 5x4 for a section; if you can affors a 3x4 section, I managed this small design, 8 in length:

[Image: 297F0221A66595004A959A88B8A07C61612B4004]

[Image: 5B999972FFCB21480E505B8E5FC9B2DD683196BF]

As you can see, the top part is the exhaust manifold from all cylinders; it helps build some flow for turbos. I added two series of turbos on each side, and you can see the exhaust which is passing from turbo to turbo on the lower part of the engine and bellow for the connection right line / left line. As is, this engine devellop 600 power and reaches about 600 power per fuel under heavy load.

Idon't think it will match your need as it is already bigger as what you explain; hope this willhelp anyway. Fuel engine tetris can be quite a headhache. Smile
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

Thanks, I will keep trying to figure it out, and well, THe power I know I need is preferably 600+, So thankfully not "Too much" in a small space, but I'm thinking also o f potentially either making it into RTG or Steam powered, It's just because it's a fighter craft...Though I might be able to modify it to have a slightly wider/taller engine area, just I have th e 'base form' already in mind and was trying to make a re-fit within most of its current constraints.

(2018-04-08, 02:45 PM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote: 3 tall by 3 wide will be tough to fit an engine in. As a basic rule, if you want to be efficient, you will have to use carbs and turbos. You can get the best efficiency from turbos by gathering all exhaust from cylinders in the same point (that is, build an "exhaust manifold") and then feed your turbos, one after each other (used as "in line) to get the full flow of exhaust in each turbo.

Which means: you will need sufficient space to fit cylinder, carburator, and turbo on top or on the sides, so 3x3 will be quite complicated. All depends on the power you need and the power per fuel you want to acheive; with one turbo per carb, you can get around 350-400 ppf; with two turbo per carb, you can go past 1000 ppf as long as you have sufficient flow of axhaust gas in your turbos. Finally, the issue will be the exhaust system: it will require some space.

I managed to get satisfying modular designs, but they are about 5x4 for a section; if you can affors a 3x4 section, I managed this small design, 8 in length:

As you can see, the top part is the exhaust manifold from all cylinders; it helps build some flow for turbos. I added two series of turbos on each side, and you can see the exhaust which is passing from turbo to turbo on the lower part of the engine and bellow for the connection right line / left line. As is, this engine devellop 600 power and reaches about 600 power per fuel under heavy load.

Idon't think it will match your need as it is already bigger as what you explain; hope this willhelp anyway. Fuel engine tetris can be quite a headhache. Smile

Something you could do to improve that design would be putting another row of cylinders and carbs on the bottom so that you can fit even more inline turbos. Not sure if it would hurt exhaust flow too much, though. Just offset them 1 block so the inlines fit.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

@MizarLuke, yeah,the goal was try to keep the section around 3x3, hence the single row of cylinders and carbs; I have another modular design which sections are 5x5 and with 4 lines af cylinders and carbs, but this is obviously way too big for Ryusho's needs.

@Ryusho: As power you need is quite small, you can consider using a simple injector-based design; you can achieve 800 power with about 9 fuel/sec. Depending on the intended use, this can be cheaper and lighter than a RTG-based solution.
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

I spent some time build this platform. All engine are 3x3x6.

There are 4 engine. Enjoy. Big Grin

Attached Files
.blueprint   3x3x6 engine platform.blueprint (Size: 46.85 KB / Downloads: 25)

Hard to go wrong with the excellent fuel engine platform by Guaibee

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=26052

Maker of moderately good: CRAM, APS, and engines.  

Thank you everyone for imput and help, I will be taking a look at those that people have provided, and also keep trying to figure things out myself, as I realised it might be good to get some extra power on a simple craft I had for a light shield or something so it could be more effective later on then it is, even though watching AnerDyfan Comunity lets play, *His crafts are the little Basilisk 'noodle tank' as AnerDyfan calls it, and the Wyvren aircraft that are against the twin guard and...not dying..they keep just surviving even though they are kinda wimpy on the damage output XD* But yeah, Trying to figure out with those as I want to make upgrades to imput for improving their usefulness compared to currently in the game, though they at least both seem to be very capable and surviving distractions.

(2018-04-09, 05:27 PM)Xalinsky Wrote: I spent some time build this platform. All engine are 3x3x6.

There are 4 engine. Enjoy. Big Grin

I wanted to add a quick extra thank you for this, It's supprising how much power can be put into a small space, but also that The modular engine, I'm trying it, with a backup battery engine, though I was checking, I learned my space is actually 3x3x8 or 3x3x9 at the moment before any other modifcations, But I may make a version that fits the more standard 3x5xn or whatever style at a later point.