Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Twin 104m AA

7x5 on a 3m turret base, with 3m of 3x3 neck. Each gun fires approx 130rpm (260 total, obviously) with .327 inaccuracy though if you stick another 4m barrel it'll be .189. As is, the gun is mass-centered on the turret block, but with a longer barrel I would add a counterweight which there is room for. Energy use by the rails is about 1590e/s but obviously you can turn it down. Completely recoil damped for all your strange "This craft is too lambed small but I'll make it fit!" delusions...

[Image: GVQQB] (image doesn't seem to load...)

I give no excuses about the not-really-a-turret-cap that only existed to see if i needed to add a counterweight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   7w5h3n Twin 104mm AA Flak.blueprint (Size: 233.2 KB / Downloads: 36)

I like it. Standard loaders for sustained rate of fire and rail boost for accuracy and\or speed. Decently compact package
(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3

I tend to wing my turrets because I actually have no idea what I'm doing and this one actually was so dead simple i double checked the barrel/loader math because aps guns can't possibly be that easy right?

I've found that once you start building them, understand the APS calculator, understand what sizes can do what..... they are sort of easy.

You're ahead of me, I've barely touched rail-gun assist yet

(2018-03-15, 11:30 AM)anathemia Wrote: I tend to wing my turrets because I actually have no idea what I'm doing and this one actually was so dead simple i double checked the barrel/loader math because aps guns can't possibly be that easy right?
(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3

I have used some rail assist, but found it used a ton of power for little gain. It took some extra math, and if you change your battery number, you have to redo everything.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2018-03-15, 03:09 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I have used some rail assist, but found it used a ton of power for little gain. It took some extra math, and if you change your battery number, you have to redo everything.

The thing with railgun batteries that can aid ya, when you set up the rail gun have it reqdy to use a certqin battery size. i tend to use 8 4m beams as a base. If/when you double the battery size all you need is to half the % of the battery to use and the numbers maintain.

Something ive come to do is start by a power drain rather than the turret itself.
if i got a small 3x3 injector per turret that means i have 800 power per second. thats 400 powdr per shot for a 120rpm gun and it needs to charge in .5 secs. mostly accuracy buff at this power level.
But thats 1600 for a 30 rpm gun, which is a ~ 100m/s speed boost on a fast shell.

I got more stuff to say but ill wait till i geg home and am not on mobile.

the maths easier thats
(2016-10-27, 12:13 AM)Chromoid Wrote: AdNecrias, you have earned this:
[Image: EObLzKD.png]
Bear it with pride, my friend. *salute*

(2018-04-17, 07:56 PM)AdNecrias Wrote:
(2018-03-15, 03:09 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I have used some rail assist, but found it used a ton of power for little gain. It took some extra math, and if you change your battery number, you have to redo everything.

Also, that post is from awhile ago, and your reply doesn't really help as it doesn't reply to what my comment stated, that railguns aren't really worth the power.

The thing with railgun batteries that can aid ya, when you set up the rail gun have it reqdy to use a certqin battery size. i tend to use 8 4m beams as a base. If/when you double the battery size all you need is to half the % of the battery to use and the numbers maintain.

Something ive come to do is start by a power drain rather than the turret itself.
if i got a small 3x3 injector per turret that means i have 800 power per second. thats 400 powdr per shot for a 120rpm gun and it needs to charge in .5 secs. mostly accuracy buff at this power level.
But thats 1600 for a 30 rpm gun, which is a ~ 100m/s speed boost on a fast shell.

I got more stuff to say but ill wait till i geg home and am not on mobile.

the maths easier thats

I don't really understand what you are talking about, due to grammar and spelling, mostly, but I know how to do railguns. Divide 60 by your fire rate in rpm and then make sure that your railgun charges in that amount of time by adjusting power % to use and to some extent the number of railgun magnets.

Power drain is 100 per charger, assuming you calibrated it right, for any RPM.

The problem I see with what you explained is that shield projectors also have a battery storage amount, therefore messing up most cases of using a specific power amount to reduce how much adjustment is needed.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

(2018-04-17, 09:06 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I don't really understand what you are talking about, due to grammar and spelling,
Oh god it's even worse than I remembered.

(2018-04-17, 09:06 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: Power drain is 100 per charger, assuming you calibrated it right, for any RPM.

Oh, this is new information for me... makes it so much easier! Christ.

Anyways, you're right it'll always come down to you needing to mess with the energy % to use slider whenever the number of batteries isn't the same as in the initial configuration.

But a couple of things you should keep in mind. If you've got the battery chargers required, the railgun system is self balancing. Yes, it'll try to charge a lot more power than it usually uses for the initial shots but after a while as your battery drains the number goes smaller and you should eventually be firing with the usual rail assist, with the batteries drained to the level you had on the initial craft.

Given that they charge at a fixed 100 power drain in any condition, if you keep your railgun to "allow being fired without fully charged" It should be getting only the juice you expect per shot under continuous fire, with a cram like bonus charging whenever it gets downtime.

Second point, railguns have rather fragile components such as the barrel magnets that REALLY change the railguns settings. As such barrel damage quickly messes up your numbers making the rail boost smaller than expected.

Also, this is the example I wanted to talk about, but got cut due to mobile idiocy (that "maths"parts at the end)
[Image: unknown.png]

This is an example of a 840rpm 56mm frag minigun. its shooting at ~700m/s, frag inherit some of the speed of the projectile so this slightly boosts their damage too, besides making planes easier to catch.
I had a blueline 17.6k Power engine for this gun. which meant I had (17.6k*60)/840=1.25k power per shot. And 840/60=14 shots per second meant i had to charge it in 0.071 secs.
I keep the charge per shot and time on the subobject's prefab and when I go to put it in a vehicle I need to get the final battery number and and ratio it to the initial battery number I had. (8 4m beams being my standard reference)

I used to be eyeing (or winging) the number of chargers before, now you've said that 100 per second per charger thing it'll make it even faster.

Yes the point about letting it charge extra is quite true, however, if you use the battery for other purposes, you can accidentally drain a large portion. It would also slightly mess up shots fired in quick succession.

On small, rail-assist cannons, not full railgun-only cannons, you can typically hide the charges within the cap if you have a decent-sized battery.

(2018-04-18, 02:53 AM)MizarLuke Wrote: Yes the point about letting it charge extra is quite true, however, if you use the battery for other purposes, you can accidentally drain a large portion. It would also slightly mess up shots fired in quick succession.

On small, rail-assist cannons, not full railgun-only cannons, you can typically hide the charges within the cap if you have a decent-sized battery.

Yeah, but fortunately, that occurs only if you aren't bothering to give it any tuning to the vehicle you're placing them in. No effort, no gain. Smile

Yeah I end up doing that. My turrets are never too big too so I guess I never ended up with full-railgun only cannons. Actually, does that even work? What's the point, trading fuel for cooldown gauges? I guess if you really are going big, but that's not cost effective, is it?

Mind you, I usually build the turrets then build the vehicle around those. So besides having more turrets than vehicles, I end up always having custom built guns, so adjusting isn't a worry.