Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advanced Cannon Shell Lengths

Hello friends, I'm having an issue with my cannons.

I have a cannon, it has 1 gauge increase and 3 meter auto-loaders. The shell it uses is 12m long (including the 3m of casing). It works well enough, but when I add just 1 gauge increase to the cannon it tells me that the shell is too long!

I know that the shell fit before, and that its diameter fits the cannon, but somehow adding a gauge increase simply breaks it!

So I decided to make another cannon. It is quite similar, but uses 4m auto-loaders. I ran into the same problem! If it has more than 1 gauge increase, the 12m shell will not fit!

I wish to know how this system works, because I feel as if I'm fumbling about in the dark! Can anyone help?

(2018-03-14, 03:57 AM)PoliteTim Wrote: Hello friends, I'm having an issue with my cannons.

I have a cannon, it has 1 gauge increase and 3 meter auto-loaders. The shell it uses is 12m long (including the 3m of casing). It works well enough, but when I add just 1 gauge increase to the cannon it tells me that the shell is too long!

I know that the shell fit before, and that its diameter fits the cannon, but somehow adding a gauge increase simply breaks it!

So I decided to make another cannon. It is quite similar, but uses 4m auto-loaders. I ran into the same problem! If it has more than 1 gauge increase, the 12m shell will not fit!

I wish to know how this system works, because I feel as if I'm fumbling about in the dark! Can anyone help?

Cannon guage changes the size of shell modules. This means that a shell built at one guage will be a different length if the guage changes. Generally, when the guage goes up so does the length of each module though some modules are caped at a certain max length.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2018-03-14, 03:57 AM)PoliteTim Wrote: Hello friends, I'm having an issue with my cannons.

I think you are misunderstanding something.

first, you need to check your Advanced Cannon "gauge". simply look the cannon barrel like what I do in this picture.

and look your Ammo Controller. slide the shell diam.(mm) slider to your cannon current gauge.

then you can get the "true" shell lenghth

I saw the problem because there no 12m autoloader can be used. If you have that length shell you can't even use them before.

You can put the input feeder straight into the firing piece and get very big shells. VERY BIG. Although I don't think it's conventional.

Each module is as long as the diameter of the cannon so if you have 200mm gun then each module is 200mm long
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Here's a quick explanation if any of the others are insufficient.

Each shell needs to be the same length or shorter than the autoloaders and clips it goes into. The equation for this, ignoring certain modules such as fuses, is: gun diameter x number of modules / 1000 = length of autoloaders needed. The "/ 1000" is to convert from millimeters to meters. If you have a 500mm gun and 2 modules, you can use only 1m autoloaders. If you want to use 4 modules, you need 2m autoloaders. If you have a 400mm gun, you can use 2 and a half module sections (5 modules total) and 2m racks. You can typically figure it out yourself in most cases, but once you start using fuses and such, it gets more difficult and that equation no longer applies. The information is also in the ammo customizer, once you input the shell diameter.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Well I'd like to thank you all for your input and help! I suppose I didnt realise how the gauge affected the shell size.

Mizar, thank you for the equation. I'll try to get this all worked out ingame, too.

That all solves it I'd say, have a good day my good fellas!

No problem, glad to help. This is one major thing the forums are for. Go ahead and ask any more questions you might have hereon the forums.

Good day to you, too.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

You are confusing the length of the ammo controller with the length of the shell. Shell length is in modules*gauge, basically ( as people have said ).
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.