Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RTG optimal efficiency

I did some calculations, and it turns out that the optimal electric engine drive factor for an RTG+electric engine setup, if you want the maximal volume efficiency, is 0.79, yielding 19.37 PPV. The optimal drive factor for cost efficiency is 0.36, yielding 0.1541 power per material setup cost (this yields 16.15 PPV). In the attachment, you can find a graph representing those results.

This means that if you are striving for just volume efficiency, every fuel engine with worse than 20 PPV (as with an RTG, you also do not have to dedicate any space to fuel tanks) should be replaced with an RTG setup - and RTGs also have the advantage over very efficient fuel engines of fitting into very tight, awkward spaces.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun - Maxim #24

<3 Thank you. :3
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

RTGs are the best. None of the 'don't use RTGs crap' RTGs are the best. Oh yeah, and fuel engines are actually nice as well. Screw steam.

19.3 PPB is around that of a 1288ppf 5x3xn fuel engine, to give an instant comparison.
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.

I am not gonna use an electric engines with less than 0.36 drive or more than 0.79 now. Thanks a lot, I never did any math myself. I'm a bit surprised the best volume efficiency isn't 100%.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Are you taking into account the fact that you need way more batteries for the same total power output per second when you run them at 79% (27% more batteries), or worse, 36% (178% more battery!)?

Also: a decent 5x5xN turbosnake engine is around 37 power per volume, nearly double but not counting fuel. Steam exceeds that power output per volume greatly and you don't need the volume or cost of fuel tanks--just lots of material storage (or use centralized resources!).

More interesting and useful would be figuring out optimal drive factor for a steam turbine/battery setup which includes estimates on steam boiler ramp-up time's influence on power/sec and how that influences electric engine output.

One plus consideration for people using fleets and/or modular designs like myself:
the energy is automatically shared between units (and I think without batteries it isn't possibble).

So on calculations you must add together fleet energy and divide by block counts of separate units. Wink
That make possibble armoured energy unit, which won't be targeted because of low weapon and ammo count,
also units with no real engines working in tandem.
MULTIPLAYER!

(2018-02-23, 12:30 AM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: Are you taking into account the fact that you need way more batteries for the same total power output per second when you run them at 79% (27% more batteries), or worse, 36% (178% more battery!)?

Also: a decent 5x5xN turbosnake engine is around 37 power per volume, nearly double but not counting fuel. Steam exceeds that power output per volume greatly and you don't need the volume or cost of fuel tanks--just lots of material storage (or use centralized resources!).

More interesting and useful would be figuring out optimal drive factor for a steam turbine/battery setup which includes estimates on steam boiler ramp-up time's influence on power/sec and how that influences electric engine output.

Yep, I did take that into account. And well, obviously both fuel engines and steam engines beat out RTG+battery setups in power density, though I would be interested (and am not well-versed in engine design to calculate that myself) in where the breakeven point in terms of power per volume and power per cost between fuel engines/steam engines and RTGs is, considering also the volume/cost of enough fuel/material to run the engine for a certain amount of time.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun - Maxim #24

(2018-02-23, 09:34 AM)Normal69 Wrote: One plus consideration for people using fleets and/or modular designs like myself:
the energy is automatically shared between units (and I think without batteries it isn't possibble).

Actually I would be grateful if anyone can confirm that.
I am planning a carrier strike battle for my upcoming tournament. I will be using ultra light planes and it might make sense for them to share the power with the carrier.
primum non nocere

(2018-02-23, 11:36 AM)harnas1977 Wrote: Actually I would be grateful if anyone can confirm that.
I am planning a carrier strike battle for my upcoming tournament. I will be using ultra light planes and it might make sense for them to share the power with the carrier.

Of course I can confirm that.
Just don't forget to put them on the same resource group - I use no other setting for a balanced share (and have some grief because I cannot delete those settings if accidentally clicked on).

I have a 7 component eradicator which only 2 holding fuel engines, one has RTGs, the remainder of them gets electric power thru batteries which are in all the 7.

Take care of your resource range! Anything outside will get de-powered.
Maybe you can set up an ACB like "if batteries below Z%, return to mothership" on the planes.
MULTIPLAYER!