Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please criticize my first ship

Well, I did a large edit of the first variation and got something with less problems but it's still pretty bad. I spaced apart the missiles, added a superstructure (kind of), added 2 more turrets, made the turrets stronger, put them into the hull, put 1 ejector on every missile, added 3 missiles, added 1 block to a bunch of them, shielded the detection, made turret shields invisible, protected the LAM stuff a bit better, separated the ammo some, removed the bottom propellers, changed the layout of the main propellers, removed a couple of rudders, removed some excess engine power and separated the engines, and probably made some other improvements that I can't remember. HOWEVER, it looks hideous, even worse than before, it moves slower, and it can't float period. It just sinks sideways. I even had to freeze the ship in build mode just to take screenshots of it. If anyone knows a way to stabilize it in the center and make it float like an actual boat, please let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   Battleship 2.blueprint (Size: 517.97 KB / Downloads: 8)
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

Did ya download the bp I sent to ya? Ya can figure out where ya missing the setups ya made. And... did ya use the Lead blocks and place it down below to counterweight balances ya ship.

Ok...here's the mistakes ya made on the ship.

1. I noticed ya didn't add Air Pumps for the ballast instead of Helium Pumps. Helium Pump work for the air compartment...or Airship purposes, which mean... it doesn't work inside the water. I removed the heliums and added Air Pumps and still unstable... Continue to the second mistake. XD

2. Ya ship didn't have a proper room for compartments. Ya put a lot of stuff which is lead the air for the ballest...less.. this also lead your ship to become..unstable and sinking mode. Ya need to plans to make the rooms for the air compartments.

3. Too much weight inside ya ship. And ya Centre of Mass is messed up as well. Try to minimize the over components such as Fuel Storages, and Ammo Box. I strongly suggested use Heavy armor to bunker ya AI Mainframes and Ammo Box in less about 2000 ammo. Spam more of Ammo Processors instead of Ammo Box. Ya don't want the ship fly to the sky by the enemy stray bullets hit inside? XD

4 And... again... ya need to do something with ya turret size. when ya CRAM turret spinning to the side. She immediately in sinking mode in the picture below.
[Image: DCTQr8r.png]
Try practice ya building the skill to making the turret size at least around 3m Height, 3m,5, and 7m width, and...3m, 5m, 7m length.

5. Ya ship width is not really supported ya current setups for the armaments. Ya need to make wider. Ya current BB's width 19m. I suggest making wider around 35m. Here's the example the structure of ya ship when ya fix it XD
[Image: x7YxPua.jpg]
Note: Be sure ya put the Lead down below. Otherwise, ya ship going to be an unstable ship.

Note: I suggest ya need to practice to make the standard armors of ya ships. And understand the weights and physics when ya position ya components inside. And... not to be evil. About the missiles. I considered missiles is a Trash Tier. Ya will waste a lot of resources on the missiles because it is not so powerful as ya expected. CRAM is OP OP tier. But need to configure it well to make an even more OP OP. Why not ya try to figure out in Advance Canon (APS) too? They are the universal tier.

As mentioned before, redo the turrets...all the support bits of the turrets should go into an armored barbette below deck, preferably reaching down to the bottom of the ship, this will sink a lot of weight below the waterline, automatically stabilizing your build.

One could argue to build the superstructure out of lightweight materials to further lower the CoM (Center of Mass).

3 other stabilizing suggestions, if you don't want to do that:

active keel (hydrofoils counteracting roll with ACB controls; only works while moving forward)

alloy-lined torpedo bulge along the broadside (wider ship with floaty bits around the farthest distance from the centerline away at water level improve stability quite a bit)

PID roll stabilization with roll thrusters (propellers)
(2018-03-12, 05:51 AM)Chunkblaster Wrote: @Lord O' Talons What Anime is that?

(2018-03-12, 01:22 PM)Lord O Talons Wrote: BM effects and docking stations.

---lolwhat Big Grin

At this point, it seems like I need a wider hull for a ship like this. I'll probably shut down this thread at the end of the in about a day, so final comments and advice should be shared now. Also I have a few questions. How many cram cannons should I have on the ship? How many barrels? How powerful should my LAM system be? What detection should I use and how should I spread it apart? For anti-air, could I just prefab the Thyr's anti-air? How much shielding should I use? How much engine power will I need and what efficiency should I aim for? Should I have a secondary battery to deal with small or medium ships? How fast should it be? What turret size should I use for the cram cannons? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm asking now so that I can make my next ship better. Thanks to those who gave me advice and criticism, it's greatly appreciated.
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

(2018-02-13, 03:47 PM)Aperson Wrote: At this point, it seems like I need a wider hull for a ship like this. I'll probably shut down this thread at the end of the in about a day, so final comments and advice should be shared now. Also I have a few questions.?
Quote: How many cram cannons should I have on the ship?
Depends on your liking. you can CRAM (hoho) as much of them onto your ship as you can fit; I am usually going with at most half of my sub deck space for weapon innards, mostly split into four main turrets.
Quote:How many barrels?
Hmm test it; depending on your tetrising skills and the room in the barbette from 1 to 50+, in your case I'd go with a beefy 2-3 barrels a turret.
Quote:How powerful should my LAM system be?
I am no laser master, but I am going for rather compact 3-5k energy Settings without storage.
Quote:What detection should I use and how should I spread it apart?
Just use real world ships as reference; conning Tower, 1-2 secondary detector Arrangements (fire Control rooms) trackers for bearing and range on turrets (especially CRAMs Need rather detailed Information for bearing and Speed). rangefinders/gimbal trackers for bearing, Radar for detection, laser range finders for range.
Quote:For anti-air, could I just prefab the Thyr's anti-air?
sure, Onyx Watch ships (Bulwark) also sport rather nasty AA guns early on. I recommend fiddling around with small AP spam APS yourself, though.
Quote:How much shielding should I use?
1-2 Long distance low strength shield layers broadside and butterfly/angled shield at the turret fronts.
Quote:How much engine power will I need and what efficiency should I aim for?
Can't say yet.
Quote:Should I have a secondary battery to deal with small or medium ships?
Depends on your preferences, normally it isn't needed, but it certainly looks cool.
Quote: How fast should it be?
20 m/s per second is easily achievable without a huge whirl mess behind your ship and is sufficient for most medium range engagements, imho.
Quote:What turret size should I use for the cram cannons?
I am aiming for 1200-1800 personally.
Quote:I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm asking now so that I can make my next ship better. Thanks to those who gave me advice and criticism, it's greatly appreciated.
Dô itashimashite.
(2018-03-12, 05:51 AM)Chunkblaster Wrote: @Lord O' Talons What Anime is that?

(2018-03-12, 01:22 PM)Lord O Talons Wrote: BM effects and docking stations.

---lolwhat Big Grin

(2018-02-13, 04:44 PM)Tyr3n Wrote:
(2018-02-13, 03:47 PM)Aperson Wrote: At this point, it seems like I need a wider hull for a ship like this. I'll probably shut down this thread at the end of the in about a day, so final comments and advice should be shared now. Also I have a few questions.?
Quote: How many cram cannons should I have on the ship?
Depends on your liking. you can CRAM (hoho) as much of them onto your ship as you can fit; I am usually going with at most half of my sub deck space for weapon innards, mostly split into four main turrets.
Quote:How many barrels?
Hmm test it; depending on your tetrising skills and the room in the barbette from 1 to 50+, in your case I'd go with a beefy 2-3 barrels a turret.
Quote:How powerful should my LAM system be?
I am no laser master, but I am going for rather compact 3-5k energy Settings without storage.
Quote:What detection should I use and how should I spread it apart?
Just use real world ships as reference; conning Tower, 1-2 secondary detector Arrangements (fire Control rooms) trackers for bearing and range on turrets (especially CRAMs Need rather detailed Information for bearing and Speed). rangefinders/gimbal trackers for bearing, Radar for detection, laser range finders for range.
Quote:For anti-air, could I just prefab the Thyr's anti-air?
sure, Onyx Watch ships (Bulwark) also sport rather nasty AA guns early on. I recommend fiddling around with small AP spam APS yourself, though.
Quote:How much shielding should I use?
1-2 Long distance low strength shield layers broadside and butterfly/angled shield at the turret fronts.
Quote:How much engine power will I need and what efficiency should I aim for?
Can't say yet.
Quote:Should I have a secondary battery to deal with small or medium ships?
Depends on your preferences, normally it isn't needed, but it certainly looks cool.
Quote: How fast should it be?
20 m/s per second is easily achievable without a huge whirl mess behind your ship and is sufficient for most medium range engagements, imho.
Quote:What turret size should I use for the cram cannons?
I am aiming for 1200-1800 personally.
Quote:I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm asking now so that I can make my next ship better. Thanks to those who gave me advice and criticism, it's greatly appreciated.
Dô itashimashite.
Thanks for all the advice, it's all quite helpful. While I prefer 2000 mm cram cannons, I'd imagine it would be better to go with 1500 or so mm triple barreled ones. I have no clue how to tetris, but I'll do my best to make a space-efficient design. I might go for six turrets instead of four if the hull is long enough to hold them and stable enough to handle the recoil.

Is there a good length to width ratio that exists for hulls?

I like about 8 to 1, maybe wider if I want more of a dreadnought, thinner for a destroyer.

For the CRAMs, I recommend using about 1/2 motor driven barrels, 1/4 recoil, and 1/4 normal, with 1 elevation.

Also try using a few less CRAM turrets, it will make it easier to fit everything and get them to look good. Try also putting in some smaller APS on the sides as secondaries to keep the firepower. Less missiles would look better, and I recommend putting them in rows. A setup that I use is a line of missile connector in the middle of the ship at the bottom, a launchpad on the left and right, and 1 ejector for each one, giving you a 5 wide area with 2 missiles in each section. Also put in metal or wood beams at least at the top between the rows of missiles.

Making your superstructure mostly wood or alloy would help with the stabilization, as would making it wider. You can also use PIDs to get active stabilization. If it always moves forward, you can use hydrofoils to help as well.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2018-02-13, 06:18 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I like about 8 to 1, maybe wider if I want more of a dreadnought, thinner for a destroyer.
So about 6:1 would be good for a large battleship?

Sure, it is largely personal preference. somewhere from 1:4 to 1:10 would work in most cases. Wider if you need more stabilization.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast