Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please criticize my first ship

This is my first somewhat functional ship. It doesn't have a name, it goes faster than it needs to and has huge amounts of excess engine power, it's very easy to sink (although it takes longer to kill), has 165 missiles and 8 badly made turreted Cram Cannons and nothing else, it looks horrible, it doesn't deal with EMP very well, it's poorly armored, I wasn't even the one who made the hull, and only the extremely vital parts are shielded. Tell me what problems I missed. I'll probably fix a lot of these. It dies against most Neter ships of it's size but does surprisingly well against the WW2 campaign enemies.

Edit: Here's some pictures, forgot about those things.

Edit 2: Needs a name. Preferably not too serious.
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

Do your missiles have torpedo propellers? They will get stuck otherwise, and/or fly everywhere but your target. The three back turrets can't fire forward, I hope? You will want to armor, your laser connectors, they are fragile.
Most of your detection is in one spot, the center of your ship. I would recommend detection on your gun turrets.

Neat ship though, I can't build big things.
A force as voracious as time itself.
A void as cryptic as reality itself.
An enigma as vexing as life itself.
[Image: HjaVgvK.jpg]

(2018-02-12, 03:33 AM)Minecraft Zerneas Wrote: Do your missiles have torpedo propellers? They will get stuck otherwise, and/or fly everywhere but your target. The three back turrets can't fire forward, I hope? You will want to armor, your laser connectors, they are fragile.
Most of your detection is in one spot, the center of your ship. I would recommend detection on your gun turrets.

Neat ship though, I can't build big things.
So far after doing some tests, it seems like the best part so far is the missile barrage. It's reasonably accurate and does a lot of damage due to the sheer number of them. The cram cannons don't screw up too much because I put failsafes on them, but there have been some slip ups. They're also generally inaccurate at long distances and on small ships, but the enormous damage on larger ships make up for it. I'll armor the LAM things soon enough. So far, the greatest problem has been movement. It's fun to watch it fight because I never have any clue where it'll be in 5 seconds. Unfortunately, this hinders combat effectiveness.
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

Have you considered making the turret 'heads' overall smaller and moving some of the internals for them down 'below deck'? You have a HUGE amount of empty space that you can fill. Alos, shielding the BACK of a turret is usually a waste of time. 90%+ of the time, your turrets will be facing the enemy. You could save points on each turret simply mounting the two shields on the sides, making them a bit longer, and then angle them so they meet in front of your turrets, or even slightly overlap.

Similarly, there's no reason to have anything except the LAMS node itself above decks at all. You have SO MUCH empty space in the hull. Might as well use it.

You don't need that ridiculous amount of engine power. Not even close. I'd go for a much more compact and fuel efficient engine from this thread/platform ( http://fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showt...?tid=26052 ). It also means you can cut out some of the ridiculous amounts of fuel your design carries

Also.... your design is just TOO narrow. The recoil of your CRAM broadside pushes your deck down below water level. Also... downward facing props and helium pumps? Your ship isn't THAT large man..... come on. To give you an idea of how unnecessary that is, I poked several holes in your boat, in examining the armor.... and your design still floats!

Now, on the plus side, I do like the fact that your ship has at least 2M of armor everywhere. You have your ammo barrels and AI inside of separate heavy armor cubes, also good. I'd personally split the ammo up into two smaller stockpiles and separate them by at least 4-5 meters. I'd also move the AI box 2-3 meters further away from the ammo, to limit any sort of damage if the ammo goes off. Similarly, the engines. I wouldn't run giant chain of engines, all connected in sequence. If one part of that exhaust goes out, many of those cylinders are going to overheat. Make smaller engines, and spread them out so one penetrating hit doesn't cripple your engine power.

Similarly, your missile strike. It's immense, true, but it's also tightly clumped together and easily crippled by one or two High explosive and/or fragmentation hits. If you move the engine that is currently below it (because you can, as discussed, shrink your overall engine power) you could sink the missiles down further into the hull, and maybe even split them up slightly with a beam wall between them to prevent serious chain reactions. I'd also recommend using some of the space to mount an ejector on each missile tube, to help shoot it out of the launcher swiftly and cleanly.
(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3

A lot of thing were said right.

My only addendum is on "generates a lot of excess power".
As Greyfell said, make smaller engines, and do not generate excess (if it has no cause, for example powering electric drones), as it will ruin you in the campaign.
Also moving components inside, heavyers to the bottom makes your craft more stable.
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

Ok... here's my criticizes about ya Battleship.

Armaments

1. Ya CRAM turret the appearances is not good looking. At least make ya turret look presentable. And please try to get used to applying the square blocks, triangle blocks, inverted triangle blocks and wedge blocks. Or at least make the turret look like WW2.

2. Ya CRAM turrets too easy been pop out by the enemies. I also agree with the Greyfell. Make ya turret a bit smaller and the CRAM components into the internal of ya hull.

3. There's a lot of missiles ya made of.

First...yeap its good to wreck the small and medium-size units ya encounter from.
Second... ya missiles are turning away once they launch to the sky. I strongly suggest applying the Ejector Add-on at least two each launcher. Or... apply Torpedo Propeller to make it extra ejector.
Third. Your missiles will most likely eat all ya material resources. And quite a volatiles as well. Yer don't want a chain explosion from the missiles pod did ya? I strongly suggest make a less at least 6x or 9x missiles each pod ya build.

The Hulls

First The appearances overall is nice... no sliced of cake at the bow. Good good! But er... where is your bridge? Confused
Second Ya need to rework again ya Laser components. Too exposed and easy been blow off from the enemy attacks. Please armor them well.
Third Ya ship is almost sinking mode. I believe this might be overweight too. Try using the woods or alloys to support the structure inside. Otherwise... ya don't want to see your ship going to the 88% Damage and Sinking Mode. if ya know what I mean XD
Forth Your shields... please make it Alpha set to the 0.00. It might be invisible mode but it still protects ya turrets. Don't be lazy for that. And please... hide them inside...ya shields are too exposed by the enemy.
Fifth I'm not really like the propeller-like that. Too simple ya built, it's like ya doing the... *Last-minute-assignments*. Try to make the propeller good at looking.
Sixth And please... Do not use the Fleet Colors. Why? Ok, this is why.

[Image: IV6R9N0.jpg]
It might be tiresome for ya. But ya have to do it by clear up the mess at the color palettes. Be disciplined to do this. Or... Be sure ya save and name it... Starter Boat or something. So ya don't have to worry anymore to build the new ship by pressing "B" button for that.

And... this why I said do not use the Fleet Colors
[Image: bQPSVX3.jpg]

I'll send my ship for ya example. It might help ya a little to improve your ship from the components, ya armaments, and... your appearances. But that it requires your creativities to make ya own hulls. I honestly to say... I would like ya build something beyond from my expectations. Which mean is... Uncommon Designs. But it's too early for ya if ya still new for this. Practice it and try to make it better. XD

And lastly...I'm sorry if I sounded like the aggressive person to criticized ya ship.

.blueprint   Light Cruiser Swordsman.blueprint (Size: 199.79 KB / Downloads: 13)

(2018-02-12, 07:30 AM)Greyfell Wrote: Have you considered making the turret 'heads' overall smaller and moving some of the internals for them down 'below deck'? You have a HUGE amount of empty space that you can fill. Alos, shielding the BACK of a turret is usually a waste of time. 90%+ of the time, your turrets will be facing the enemy. You could save points on each turret simply mounting the two shields on the sides, making them a bit longer, and then angle them so they meet in front of your turrets, or even slightly overlap.

Similarly, there's no reason to have anything except the LAMS node itself above decks at all. You have SO MUCH empty space in the hull. Might as well use it.

You don't need that ridiculous amount of engine power. Not even close. I'd go for a much more compact and fuel efficient engine from this thread/platform ( http://fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showt...?tid=26052 ). It also means you can cut out some of the ridiculous amounts of fuel your design carries

Also.... your design is just TOO narrow. The recoil of your CRAM broadside pushes your deck down below water level. Also... downward facing props and helium pumps? Your ship isn't THAT large man..... come on. To give you an idea of how unnecessary that is, I poked several holes in your boat, in examining the armor.... and your design still floats!

Now, on the plus side, I do like the fact that your ship has at least 2M of armor everywhere. You have your ammo barrels and AI inside of separate heavy armor cubes, also good. I'd personally split the ammo up into two smaller stockpiles and separate them by at least 4-5 meters. I'd also move the AI box 2-3 meters further away from the ammo, to limit any sort of damage if the ammo goes off. Similarly, the engines. I wouldn't run giant chain of engines, all connected in sequence. If one part of that exhaust goes out, many of those cylinders are going to overheat. Make smaller engines, and spread them out so one penetrating hit doesn't cripple your engine power.

Similarly, your missile strike. It's immense, true, but it's also tightly clumped together and easily crippled by one or two High explosive and/or fragmentation hits. If you move the engine that is currently below it (because you can, as discussed, shrink your overall engine power) you could sink the missiles down further into the hull, and maybe even split them up slightly with a beam wall between them to prevent serious chain reactions. I'd also recommend using some of the space to mount an ejector on each missile tube, to help shoot it out of the launcher swiftly and cleanly.
First of all, thanks for the criticism. I would probably miss some of these if I was looking for problems to solve myself. I'll probably move some turret stuff below deck later today. I'll stop shielding the back part of the turrets. I'll move the LAM things below deck for protection. I'll do one of two things with all that excess engine power, I'll either reduce it or make some shields for the hull. As for the narrow design, I was unfortunately not the one who made the hull. I found the hull in a hull dump somewhere on the forums. I have noticed that the hull is too narrow, but it'll take a long time to fix that. The general ability to float seems to fluctuate with this boat, in or out of battle. I'm probably going to try finding a way to fix that. I'm going to move the ammo away and split it up more. The engines were a rush job, I literally threw a bunch of prefabs down and connected them. I DEFINITELY plan on changing that. As for the missiles, I don't want to reduce the size of the barrage, so I'll probably make room for another one and use the room created to add ejectors to each one. I figure I can take out the frontal cram cannon, which will also reduce recoil and make it go less underwater. I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged every criticism, so once again, thanks for the criticism.

(2018-02-12, 09:05 AM)Monklizard Wrote: Ok... here's my criticizes about ya Battleship.

Armaments

1. Ya CRAM turret the appearances is not good looking. At least make ya turret look presentable. And please try to get used to applying the square blocks, triangle blocks, inverted triangle blocks and wedge blocks. Or at least make the turret look like WW2.

2. Ya CRAM turrets too easy been pop out by the enemies. I also agree with the Greyfell. Make ya turret a bit smaller and the CRAM components into the internal of ya hull.

3. There's a lot of missiles ya made of.

First...yeap its good to wreck the small and medium-size units ya encounter from.
Second... ya missiles are turning away once they launch to the sky. I strongly suggest applying the Ejector Add-on at least two each launcher. Or... apply Torpedo Propeller to make it extra ejector.
Third. Your missiles will most likely eat all ya material resources. And quite a volatiles as well. Yer don't want a chain explosion from the missiles pod did ya? I strongly suggest make a less at least 6x or 9x missiles each pod ya build.

The Hulls

First The appearances overall is nice... no sliced of cake at the bow. Good good! But er... where is your bridge? Confused
Second Ya need to rework again ya Laser components. Too exposed and easy been blow off from the enemy attacks. Please armor them well.
Third Ya ship is almost sinking mode. I believe this might be overweight too. Try using the woods or alloys to support the structure inside. Otherwise... ya don't want to see your ship going to the 88% Damage and Sinking Mode. if ya know what I mean XD
Forth Your shields... please make it Alpha set to the 0.00. It might be invisible mode but it still protects ya turrets. Don't be lazy for that. And please... hide them inside...ya shields are too exposed by the enemy.
Fifth I'm not really like the propeller-like that. Too simple ya built, it's like ya doing the... *Last-minute-assignments*. Try to make the propeller good at looking.
Sixth And please... Do not use the Fleet Colors. Why? Ok, this is why.

[Image: IV6R9N0.jpg]
It might be tiresome for ya. But ya have to do it by clear up the mess at the color palettes. Be disciplined to do this. Or... Be sure ya save and name it... Starter Boat or something. So ya don't have to worry anymore to build the new ship by pressing "B" button for that.

And... this why I said do not use the Fleet Colors
[Image: bQPSVX3.jpg]

I'll send my ship for ya example. It might help ya a little to improve your ship from the components, ya armaments, and... your appearances. But that it requires your creativities to make ya own hulls. I honestly to say... I would like ya build something beyond from my expectations. Which mean is... Uncommon Designs. But it's too early for ya if ya still new for this. Practice it and try to make it better. XD

And lastly...I'm sorry if I sounded like the aggressive person to criticized ya ship.

Thanks for the criticisms, I'd certainly miss some of this without help, time to answer them!

Armaments
1. I'm awful at making things look good. While this isn't meant to look like WW2, I'll agree it looks ugly.
2. I plan on doing that.
3. More missiles= more damage. I'll try moving it apart to prevent the entire barrage from being blown to bits in one blow. I'll then use the extra space generated to add ejectors.

The hull
1. I'm awful at making things like bridges, but I might try adding one at some point.
2. I'm definitely going to hide and armor my LAM things when I can.
3. The ship seems to fluctuate between sinking and trying to achieve flight. This is top priority in things to fix.

I'll answer the rest when I have time.

Edit: And here's the rest.

4. I do plan on fixing the shield problems you mentioned.
5. The propellors are certainly going to be changed, and you're correct in assuming that they were a rush job. This ship was made in 2 or 3 hours.
6. The fleet colors were put on the hull by the person who made the hull, and I plan on removing them at some point.

Once again, thanks for the criticism. It really does help me improve my currently lacking skills and the ship itself. I would not personally count your criticism as over-aggressive, as it was constructive criticism and not just saying something like "This is a piece of ship and doesn't deserve to exist".

I'm not one to talk about functionality, my ships are all rubbish in combat because I limit their equipment to fit a theme (and because I don't know what I'm doing), however, I can give advice about ascetics, and I'd give two pieces of advice as most important:

First off, cover up that wood on the sides. Wood is fine for decks and galleons, but having the hull turn from metal to wood halfway up is ugly.

Secondly, your deck is too flat. Put some sort of superstructure up there. Doesn't matter what, just make it not flat.

Less important things, those turrets all pointing the same direction is weird, and you might want to consider superfiring or just replacing the center guns with fixed broadsides. Overall, no worse than my first efforts.
A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.

(2018-02-12, 10:07 PM)Unhinged mechanic Wrote: I'm not one to talk about functionality, my ships are all rubbish in combat because I limit their equipment to fit a theme (and because I don't know what I'm doing), however, I can give advice about ascetics, and I'd give two pieces of advice as most important:

First off, cover up that wood on the sides. Wood is fine for decks and galleons, but having the hull turn from metal to wood halfway up is ugly.

Secondly, your deck is too flat. Put some sort of superstructure up there. Doesn't matter what, just make it not flat.

Less important things, those turrets all pointing the same direction is weird, and you might want to consider superfiring or just replacing the center guns with fixed broadsides. Overall, no worse than my first efforts.
I'll probably add a superstructure at some point after finishing more important modifications and I'll probably reverse the back cannon at some other point. I'll also make it metal all the way up, that's an easy fix. Also, there's only one wood layer, it's just that most of the ship is underwater.