Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

v2.15 Released [all branches]

I have noticed a bug that has been around probably for ever. I have just never run into it before we had PID controllers.

There is no exit vector provided for post attack runs in the air AI. It just assumes that your craft will continue straight on. If you are running like a thruster sled with the PID all tightened up, the crafts tend to leave the run at an angle. They then continue in a slow turn even though there are no sideways forces acting on the craft.

They basically do a big slow derpy turn around the AO and never get to return attack range before the timer runs out. The AI never gives any command for yaw at all during this period so you can't even use an AI Yaw PID to correct the side slip.

What would really be nice is just a checkbox in the Air AI that turns off pitch, altitude, and roll control. I would just prefer to use thrusters and generic PIDs for that task instead on certain designs.

Heart Stone needs higher (THE highest really) priority on power use. This isn't exactly a bug, but it's a "feature" that I think is worth having a look at. I had a ship that got disabled from running out of power (heart stone was starved, extensions melted away), when it lost most of it's engine power. It still had over 1000 power output, but that was eaten almost entirely by multi purpose lasers and shield generators. Repairs kept it barely alive, but extensions were popping as fast as they were fixed. Finally turned AI off, which shut down the lasers - and after a while the ship finally was able to funnel enough power to the heart stone to maintain it.. which in turn let it restore main engine blocks. So, really - if heart stone needs power, and ship has some output left, it should all go to heart stone first.
Workshop: Voidware, INARI and more.

Honestly, heartstones should be removed and their function should become a standard vehicle function (maybe the mechanic could be baked into engine power if anything). Trying to work on engines with a heartstone'd ship is a matter of constantly hearing explosions and constant repairs
[Image: Br2rXov.jpg]

(2018-02-22, 02:44 AM)Pathos The Kosmonaut Wrote: Honestly, heartstones should be removed and their function should become a standard vehicle function (maybe the mechanic could be baked into engine power if anything). Trying to work on engines with a heartstone'd ship is a matter of constantly hearing explosions and constant repairs

Well true, they can be a real PITA, like when you are building a ship in designer, and the HS keeps blowing up because you didn't yet build the energy systems, or because you placed the stone before you placed extensions, etc. It would help if HS wouldn't get drained at all in game mode where it's not mandatory - that would make it sort of optional, and you could totally ignore it when it's not part of the game mode.

For an alternative mechanism... I guess it could be built into AI. There could be something like a global slider (similar to other stuff like, resource storage size, auto detection power, gravity etc) that defined how much power each AI draws - and if they run out, they could take damage and eventually die. NPC ships already die if they lose all AIs, and depending on game mode the player ships could have the same restriction.

There's one additional property for HS - depending on game mode, they can't be built or repaired. But again I think this could just as well be baked into AI systems - they could be imposed similar restrictions (limited number, can't be built/repaired).

Either way though - regardless of if heart stone stays (and I'm guessing it would be too big a change to just drop them right now), or the utility was swapped to another part, or whether it was baked directly into engine power.. I think one thing is constant: it's the lifeline of the ship.. if it starves, the ship dies - and so it should get priority to available power, before any other system on the ship.

(2018-02-22, 02:44 AM)Pathos The Kosmonaut Wrote: Honestly, heartstones should be removed and their function should become a standard vehicle function (maybe the mechanic could be baked into engine power if anything). Trying to work on engines with a heartstone'd ship is a matter of constantly hearing explosions and constant repairs

Yeah, please. Whenever I look at a campaign ship to retrofit for my use, I often remove the engines first, or close, then have to find the heartstone 10 minutes and 20 explosions later.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Hmm... Heartstones.
Those are multiple use options in the campaign designer.

Either no effect,
the player dies without near a heartstoned vehicle.
and the vehicle dies without a heartstone.

I was surprised first that they need energy, and explode without it. Smile
Why it has these features?

(also tell me please why there is the 80% and sinking - are they for aged versions to be more lagless?)
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

I definitely support the 80% and sinking thing, though it needs some changes to be sub-friendly. It is a mechanic so that sunken ships or aircraft that are highly damaged and unable to be hit by cannon rounds and most missiles. I am quite thankful for it. When a SD aircraft went down and sunk to -100 or so, only my few torpedoes could hit it, but they were enough to bring it down and save me an hour of torpedoing a weaponless HA hulk.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Also, lasers still hit things through unbroken hull. >.>