Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

v2.15 Released [all branches]

I think that putting them at the back, facing down, might work best, so you can't run into them, even if you try.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2018-02-05, 02:32 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I think that putting them at the back, facing down, might work best, so you can't run into them, even if you try.

Probably, but my heavy bomber has 27 bombs on its front half, and it has a pitch of about 14 degrees, yet it works well.

If someone has a blueprint of a CRAM bomber (with CRAM chutes) which explodes itself while it shouldn't I'm interested in looking into it.

(2018-02-05, 04:07 PM)Gladyon Wrote:
(2018-02-05, 02:32 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I think that putting them at the back, facing down, might work best, so you can't run into them, even if you try.

Probably, but my heavy bomber has 27 bombs on its front half, and it has a pitch of about 14 degrees, yet it works well.

If someone has a blueprint of a CRAM bomber (with CRAM chutes) which explodes itself while it shouldn't I'm interested in looking into it.

I'll change mine up and see if it works after some restriction and more room.

Would you still be interested if the explosion is intentional?Big Grin Many suicide missiles are technically bombers too.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

(2018-02-04, 09:49 AM)Gladyon Wrote: The bombs are now spawned 2.5m in front of the bomb chute, and they inherit only of 1/5th of the velocity of the vehicle.

Excuse me. I would like to ask you why bomb chute was changed to inherit 1/5th of vehicle velocity... it was a shocking change for dive bombers and their aiming devices Sad

(2018-02-05, 04:19 PM)oliwehr_sds Wrote:
(2018-02-04, 09:49 AM)Gladyon Wrote: The bombs are now spawned 2.5m in front of the bomb chute, and they inherit only of 1/5th of the velocity of the vehicle.

Excuse me. I would like to ask you why bomb chute was changed to inherit 1/5th of vehicle velocity... it was a shocking change for dive bombers and their aiming devices Sad

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it was because bombers would drop their bombs straight forward, and they could get an arc like a normal cannon round. If your bomber is going 100m/s, the bomb would have, in the past, been traveling at 120m/s when it left the bomb chute, therefor going faster forward than the bomber, and at an arc which would look totally ridiculous, for bombs. Now, it would be going at 60m/s, and likely more straight down.

(2018-02-05, 04:14 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I'll change mine up and see if it works after some restriction and more room.
I have no restrictions on my bombers, they fly at 120 or 160 m/s depending on the bomber you pick, so I think bomb chutes are now quite safe.

(2018-02-05, 04:14 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: Would you still be interested if the explosion is intentional?Big Grin Many suicide missiles are technically bombers too.
If it is intentional, I'd be interested in the pictures Wink

(2018-02-05, 04:19 PM)oliwehr_sds Wrote: Excuse me. I would like to ask you why bomb chute was changed to inherit 1/5th of vehicle velocity... it was a shocking change for dive bombers and their aiming devices Sad
Then you can use a motorized barrel, it has a higher muzzle velocity (about 120-140m/s if I remember well) so it is more suited anyway.

Before the change the bomb chute had only 20m/s muzzle velocity, so if you were dive bombing, you had a lot of chances to hit your own bomb.

As to the reason I changed it, it's because when you have a bomber flying horizontally at about 90-100m/s (quite standard, even a bit slow) and bomb chutes facing downward (the standard setup for bombs), then the bombs were fired nearly at the horizontal.
So, the bomber was hit about 100% of the time by its own bombs.
And if the bomber was designed to work like that (no block ahead of the bomb chutes), then the shells hit the target at a very odd angle, hitting their side at about 45 degrees, more like a shell than a bomb.

Now, the bombs begin their trajectory at about 45 degrees and will hit the target deck more often that its sides.

Gladyon, have you done any sort of tests to determine the effectiveness of pendpeth/time from impact bombs vs non-penetrating bombs?

I use time from first impact for most of my bombs, and I find it unfortunately a bit lackluster. (It is fun to see a single volley drill straight through a Bulwark's main gun (with shields) and punch a 30m wide hole in the bottom) I probably will get better results by spreading out the shots, but haven't figured it out yet. Should I only have each LWC control 1 bomb? Or do I need multiple AI?

(2018-02-05, 04:48 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: Gladyon, have you done any sort of tests to determine the effectiveness of pendpeth/time from impact bombs vs non-penetrating bombs?

I use time from first impact for most of my bombs, and I find it unfortunately a bit lackluster. (It is fun to see a single volley drill straight through a Bulwark's main gun (with shields) and punch a 30m wide hole in the bottom) I probably will get better results by spreading out the shots, but haven't figured it out yet. Should I only have each LWC control 1 bomb? Or do I need multiple AI?

I tend to avoid subtleties, my bombs are pure HE... I love explosions Smile

Having different LWCs helps in spreading the shots, same as adding a small timer on some bombs so they aren't all launched at the same time (so, different trajectories and different impacts).

Well bombs did what they do IRL, almost, because there was no drag that would make them fall vertically. I think it would be better to give bombs downward boost of about 5 m/s and it could help also.

(2018-02-05, 07:45 PM)Gladyon Wrote:
(2018-02-05, 04:48 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: Gladyon, have you done any sort of tests to determine the effectiveness of pendpeth/time from impact bombs vs non-penetrating bombs?

I tend to avoid subtleties, my bombs are pure HE... I love explosions Smile

Having different LWCs helps in spreading the shots, same as adding a small timer on some bombs so they aren't all launched at the same time (so, different trajectories and different impacts).
Pure HE is fun, but a bit lackluster against heavily armored opponents. With 50 bombs, I bet it wouldn't be as much.The pendepth fuses are the only way my bombs will ever get through the HA coated AI mainframes and ammo stores of my hard OW vehicles. Without the pendepth thing, the explosion would be more likely to literally disconnect the HA section from the metal hull than to destroy it itself.

I use a total of 7 LWCs on my bomber. 4 of them control 2 bombs each, standard pendepth and inertial. 2 LWC control one bomb each, a slightly more hardening focused penetrator meant to get to AI and ammo sections to disable the enemy that way. The last LWC controls a larger, HE only CRAM with a -5 altitude fuse and inertial.

Unfortunately, they all like to target the same spot, which is disappointing. I may try adding another AI, this one with no aim point and set to control 2 of the double LWCs and the pure HE CRAM to spread the shots to disable important but vulnerable bits like LAMS, missile detectors, and smaller guns.