Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stacked Turret Laser

Hey everyone, I did a forum search to see if someone had already asked this, or if I missed it, but I couldn't find anything. I'm having a bit of an issue with a laser turret. Basically, I'm trying to build a stacked "two-axis" turret for a laser system. It's supposed to be used as a main weapon for a smaller craft, and a local defense weapon for larger ships. The problem I'm running into is that the laser transceiver connects perfectly fine on the first turret (azimuth), but won't connect to the second turret (elevation). Am I running into a limitation of the game engine, or is there some magic needed to make it work?

You need to place a laser transceiver on the first turret, which is perfectly centered and point upward in order to transfer the laser the the second turret.

I had the same problem.

Short answer: just know that transceivers turret-to-turret or hull-to-turret require the transceiver to send its "beam" directly through the turret block itself.

Long answer: If you are using a normal turret (not 2-axis or elevation only) for the second, "elevation" turret, you need to put a laser transceiver on the middle of the first turret, then, using transceivers or connects, connect it to another transceiver which sends the laser energy THROUGH the second turret itself, and then into a transceiver on the second turret.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2018-01-17, 05:34 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I had the same problem.

Short answer: just know that transceivers turret-to-turret or hull-to-turret require the transceiver to send its "beam" directly through the turret block itself.

Long answer: If you are using a normal turret (not 2-axis or elevation only) for the second, "elevation" turret, you need to put a laser transceiver on the middle of the first turret, then, using transceivers or connects, connect it to another transceiver which sends the laser energy THROUGH the second turret itself, and then into a transceiver on the second turret.

Okay, so, the beam actually has to pass through the turret block itself for the second transfer. I think that was my problem. I was trying to do

B T(L Tr) Tr
And I should have been doing
Tr B T(L Tr)

B = block
T = Turret with subconstruct as ()
Tr = transceiver
L = laser

I was worried that I'd run into an engine limitation about multiple subconstruct. Thanks for your help, I can now go make my laser armed corvette the bane of the DWG. The whole reason I was trying to get this working was because laser are the perfect anti-air weapon for campaign, but I was perpetually running into issues where small fliers would get above the firing arc of my laser turret and murder my ships. Especially the bomber drones from that darn DWG carrier. Plus, I hate how lasers look when you add larger numbers of steering optics to them.

I don't exactly understand your diagram thing, but if it works, then you did it right. I had to ask here as well after trying to make a 2-axis laser for my adventure craft. I already had an upward-facing laser, but wanted a turret to fight ships, since I was dedicating 95% of my vehicle's power to the laser, all of it RTGs (about 1/2 the vehicle's cost). Upward-facing lasers work well for AA, you don't really need too many restrictions, but it typically means you need more steering optics and get less accuracy.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

Here is how to make it work, from another post:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=49204]

This might have been dormant too long but I figured I could pip up about my findings.

You dont actually need two turret bases, a two axis turret will work fine. Just use one connector on the base of the turret, then more in front and above untill you can place the tranciever above that first connector, then remove all the connectors but the first and one in front of the tranciever, you build the laser combiner on top of that.

Once that is done you should have 4 blocks on that turret, 2 connectors, one tranciever, and one laser combiner.

Also, simple lasers mounted on two axis turrets(with the appropriate weapon controler) actually do surprisingly well against missiles.

Yeah, it is well known that 2-axis turrets work just fine, but most people prefer multiple bases because it looks really cool and allows for quicker movement.

I'm pretty sure simple lasers don't work on missiles, I've tested it and they did nothing, though that may have been a few versions ago. With their 100% accuracy and high damage they are very effective anti-missile, assuming it works, that is.

(2018-04-26, 01:20 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: Yeah, it is well known that 2-axis turrets work just fine, but most people prefer multiple bases because it looks really cool and allows for quicker movement.

I'm pretty sure simple lasers don't work on missiles, I've tested it and they did nothing, though that may have been a few versions ago. With their 100% accuracy and high damage they are very effective anti-missile, assuming it works, that is.

They work, the only issue is their charge-fire-recharg cycle. That can trip you up if you cant account for that when setting them up. Best to have them supporting another anti missile system to cover their gaps in coverage.

Yepp, they work. I have a little subobject with 2-way turret, one simple laser, and CIWS+weapon controller.
The ciws max distance is set up to 700m to have time to wind up before missile reaces 500m, the controller have max range 500m to take down near targets.
They get off torpedoes and missiles with scapel-like accuracy, I just set up different firing delays for them to cover eachother's wind-up time.

They work perfectly with the necessary passive detection, and also work as anti-air, while making nice holes in all other vehicles coming near. Wink
Simple and cheapo things, just make sure they can't turn towards the main body, as they prone to masochistically cut themselves when turning, and winding down, still firing.
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]