Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quick Question: How do I use HESH?

I want to use a round type on one of my tanks that isn't frag or HE, but I can't get HESH to do any damage at all. Even a scrapworks shrugs off the rounds like nothing.
Anyone have some good 348mm HESH rounds I can see to work out how to make a good shell?
My BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.

You put as many HE modules witb special factor 1 behind the squash head.
It can be countered by spall liners and spaced armor.
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

(2018-01-14, 04:43 PM)Skyer Wrote: You put as many HE modules witb special factor 1 behind the squash head.
It can be countered by spall liners and spaced armor.

Thank you. I was using them at 0.8 so maybe that was the mistake.
My BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.

HESH round works even without HE behind it. Are you sure you used SQUASH head? If you want to use the additional HE, the more special factor will be closer to 1 the more HESH effect (spalling) will be created and less standard HE effect (explosion). It's worth setting all the way to 1 in most cases. If you are likely to encounter shields then you can use inertia fuse and set less then 1, so at least some explosion damage is created after bounce from shield.
primum non nocere

Set HE factor to 1. If you watch in slow motion, you can see your projectile hits the target and spalls on the other side. The spelling damage is consistent with the type of material, so having a lining of wood behind metal helps. Also gaps are you best friend here. Squash is basically frag but never bounces on surfaces, and the damage depends on the material it travels though. Best to just add on as much HE as you can without sacrificing too much accuracy. As I said, you don’t need any fuses because it doesn’t bounce on surfaces. You may want to add one if shields are an issue however.

HESH vs DWG is probably going to be a bit disappointing ( no matter what Lathrix says ) because there's so much wood - the frags produced by spalling are going to be quite low AP, and the innards of a lot of DWG tanks do have some metal ( or even HA ). Pure HE works quite nicely though, stick a HP head on it and you've got the thump damage HESH does in there as well.

Inertial fuse is a waste, HESH will do nothing if it goes off on a shield. If you have some leftover HE that isn't directed to the head it will do something of course - but then you're crippling the shell if it *does* land on armour, because whatever explosive damage is leftover will be fairly pitiful given the size of shell.
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.