Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Let Me Implement A Keybinding UI

I think I've had From the Depths for about a year now, and logged a "mere" 12 hours on it in steam. Not because it's a bad game, mind... oh, no, because it's a GREAT game... with a terrible keybinding system. Every now and then I get a craving, play four 3-4 hours, and then give up.

I'm an ESDF player, you see (Go ahead and mock. One day you'll understand.. I'LL MAKE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND!), and while FTD allows for some rudimentary keybinding via Unity's built-in launcher, many of my go-to keys for movement or rotation are bound to keys which cannot be rebound. F is the most glaringly obvious in this case.

Now... I have a proposition for the developers. I am a retired Air Force vet with nothing to do with my spare time except tinker with games and code my own. I have extensive experience with Unity, especially it's UI systems.
Let me make a proper in-game keybinding GUI for From the Depths.
Seriously. For free. I have my own in-house keybindinder prefabs as it is. Give me an afternoon with your project files and I can make every input rebindable. Not because I want a job, or because I'm a nice guy, but because FTD is awesome and I am an old man who cannot wrap his head around WASD.

Or don't, and just keep making the game better. I'm not picky.

That would be great but it is very unlikely because Nick wants as few people working on code as possible AFAIK however his stance on that might have changed after Gladyon joined the team. I'd love to see it made in two fold way default key binds + per block key binds so I can have left propeller group under one key pair right propeller group on other key pair and be.able to throttle them together with third key pair or separately

A. Welcome to the forums m8!
B. try doing a mod or something that may be able to change it, but I don't think you can change UI via mods not sure though.
C. If you do it, keep the standard keybinds as is, so the experienced can don't have to change these things to how they liked it Big Grin

Airforce vet? which branch (Pilot, Engineer, etc..)and Nation? kinda curious as I love planes Smile
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

I think that Nick did something about keybindings for FS, and I think he plans to do it for FtD in some totally undetermined future.

It would be possible to do it via modding, but not without using the ProtecTechTools mod as it would be needed to modify some methods within FtD's core itself in order to replace the references to the keys with something more generic.
Anyway, it would probably be a bit painful to do... at least as much as doing it directly in the source code.

I would suggest doing it as a mod, and if it works well, suggest it here, and it may be implemented. Good luck, it would be a nice addition if it is implemented, and if not as a mod.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2018-01-15, 03:17 PM)Skyer Wrote: A. Welcome to the forums m8!
B. try doing a mod or something that may be able to change it, but I don't think you can change UI via mods not sure though.
C. If you do it, keep the standard keybinds as is, so the experienced can don't have to change these things to how they liked it Big Grin

Airforce vet? which branch (Pilot, Engineer, etc..)and Nation? kinda curious as I love planes Smile

US/Intel, hence the programming background. They wouldn't let me anywhere near the planes Tongue

Might end up doing a mod for it, or just offering him my keybinder package. It's really simple to add to an existing Unity project; just have to drop the prefab into your startup screen, define your keys somewhere, then just find/replace Input.Whatever (GetKey, GetKeyUP, GetKeyDown) with KeybindManager.Whatever.