Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: What do you think about the suggestion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good idea
40.00%
8 40.00%
Bad idea
60.00%
12 60.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Increase material cost of all weapons and fuel

(2017-12-25, 10:59 PM)TheShadowKick Wrote:
(2017-12-22, 12:33 PM)draba Wrote: Even if it was in and weapons would be a bit weaker/volume, if cost density is the sameish as structure everything will be filled up.

I'm unclear on why everything being filled up is a problem.

Currently on things that are strong in combat every part is critical, taking an unmitigated hit will cripple some weapons, engines or LAMS.
Reinforcing different areas doesn't work since everything is important.
Combined with active defenses being necessary that's why things only showing 1 side are so popular.

Also, as Zijkhal already mentioned:
- HEAT/HESH doesn't work properly against solid things(that's also partially a problem with base mechanics)
- compartmentalizing ships is bad compared to filling them up and maybe adding some air directly below the outer armor layer

If your ship is so dense that any unmitigated hit will knock out important components then I'd argue it's not as strong in combat as it could be. I always build my ships with empty spaces and interior armoring to soak up whatever hits get past the active defenses. Many of my ships can fight until they hit the Too Damaged mark and despawn.
I can sail my airplane in space.

(2017-12-27, 04:39 AM)TheShadowKick Wrote: If your ship is so dense that any unmitigated hit will knock out important components then I'd argue it's not as strong in combat as it could be. I always build my ships with empty spaces and interior armoring to soak up whatever hits get past the active defenses. Many of my ships can fight until they hit the Too Damaged mark and despawn.

If your ship has a significant amount of empty space it's guaranteed to hit the too damaged mark against something dense of the same quality Smile
Big, airy things get stomped in every tournament and it'll get even less attractive with the aimpoint fix in 2.1

More dense:
- much better armor all around, with current stacking bonuses this matters a lot(as it should IMO)
- better shielding(and a smaller target, but this doesn't matter as much)
- less drag, higher agility