Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Buff APS accuracy! (or at least correct it!)

(2017-12-19, 10:30 AM)Eagle Wrote:
(2017-12-19, 01:44 AM)MizarLuke Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 11:36 AM)Eagle Wrote: I would approve of an accuracy buff, or at least make it so that small calibers are significantly more accurate than higher calibers, to offset their lesser destructive potential and to increase their worth as an AA/CIWS weapon.

Perhaps a 10% accuracybuff to 500mm and a 50% buff to 50mm and a lineair scaling in between would do.

Prediction messes up AA more than accuracy. I wouldn't actually like slightly more accuracy, since the inaccuracy would help when most of your shots miss.

Then you keep your barrel stubby and there's no problem anymore Smile

Except that you cant use them as CIWS then...
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

(2017-12-19, 10:30 AM)Eagle Wrote: Then you keep your barrel stubby and there's no problem anymore Smile

You have to actively try(overclock) to keep inaccuracy high even with current numbers.
If you decrease inaccuracy AA barrels need to be shorter than propellant burn requirements, or be too accurate and 100% miss whenever prediction is off(most of the time).

An example:
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...#pid325038

(2017-12-19, 11:50 AM)draba Wrote:
(2017-12-19, 10:30 AM)Eagle Wrote: Then you keep your barrel stubby and there's no problem anymore Smile

You have to actively try(overclock) to keep inaccuracy high even with current numbers.
If you decrease inaccuracy AA barrels need to be shorter than propellant burn requirements, or be too accurate and 100% miss whenever prediction is off(most of the time).

An example:
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...#pid325038
Or, ya know, you could set the accuracy setting on the weapon higher than 0,01. Smile
Procrastination level is over 9000

(2017-12-19, 03:24 PM)Eagle Wrote: Or, ya know, you could set the accuracy setting on the weapon higher than 0,01. Smile

Sorry lost me there, what do you mean by "accuracy setting"?

Do you mean the minimum accuracy before firing? Because that is a lot different.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Overclock seems to be an implementation of the suggestion of recoil-based inaccuracy, perhaps that needs a revisit? However having barrel length just tied to propellant does seem to solve a lot of everyone's complaints, and reduces complexity. Someone with a better knowledge of guns can correct me here as my hands-on knowledge was a long time ago as a cadet, but the barrel just needs to be long enough that the propellant charge burns evenly and fully - ignoring wear and badly constructed bits, uneven propellant burn is the main cause of inaccuracy, and the shorter the barrel the faster & possibly more uneven the propellant has to burn. And again if the barrel is too long it can bend & that is obviously an accuracy problem.

Issues shooting fast stuff have little if anything to do with inaccuracy, mostly the tricky business of prediction & are not really relevant here ( prediction is something that can certainly be improved but it's worth it's own thread ).
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.

I've seen two common threads in the 'accuracy' argument.

A desire for shorter barrels (been addressed, but I still think we could do better.)

people confusing the gun's accuracy with the greater problem of acquiring and striking a target (related to accuracy, shell velocity, ship tracking, and target prediction). tracking and prediction definitely need work, shell velocity can probably wait until we make a decision on weather or not rail-guns will be forever bad and/or when god grants us a sane shield system.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

Spose it's also a matter of what happens to ACS going forward. Thought some things like CIWS/AA guns might end up being done in semi-modular, simple weapon type designs while APS itself was redone more as a way of building just large size cannons with loading systems and such. Maybe that was just a mod idea, can't remember but thought there was the possibility at some point of APS getting redone. Which might change the way accuracy works, again.

Mostly now for accuracy of guns I make railguns, not always so much for velocity, but just for accuracy. Helps make 120-500mm guns that I've managed to put into 5m shot groups out passed 6 km (beyond FtD combat range). And if I can I try to hid the rail bits inside the turret since they're a bit wonky aesthetically.
My DeviantArt Page Full of Shenanigans
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[Image: ljhYQd1l.jpg]

I brought this up a long time ago in update discussions and I got roasted for it. So good luck with that. Seems people don't know how real guns work and they don't care to know either. We got janky as detection systems because "realism" but god forbid we get guns that are anything but horrible.

Of course you got roasted, guns arn't as accurate in FTD compared to real life because the engagement ranges arn't as far. In real life large battleship guns could reach out past 15km pretty easily, in FTD your MAXIMUM range is 5km due to the cap on LWCs. If you gave FTD guns real life accuracy you'd just snipe out ai cores and ammo barrels, also forget about making small aircraft because their flight ceiling is extremely limited.