Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aimpoint, missile laser designators and hybrid turrets

Loaded up one of my tanks & got presented with this irritating happening - I think I've seen something about the issue before but I can't remember.

Those are beamriders, so the designator spazzing out like that doesn't do them any good. The other tank doesn't have an aimpoint card so the lasers are solid, but I'm pretty sure the missile controller is aiming the turret despite there being two LWCs, and the other one in direct contact with both the turret base and the gun firing piece... or it may just be having a bad time with sensors again.

So, first things first, any fix for the laser designators or is that a sign of something further amiss? the turret itself seems to be vibrating a bit, distant stuff is quite blurred.
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.

(2017-11-17, 01:38 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote: Loaded up one of my tanks & got presented with this irritating happening - I think I've seen something about the issue before but I can't remember.

Those are beamriders, so the designator spazzing out like that doesn't do them any good. The other tank doesn't have an aimpoint card so the lasers are solid, but I'm pretty sure the missile controller is aiming the turret despite there being two LWCs, and the other one in direct contact with both the turret base and the gun firing piece... or it may just be having a bad time with sensors again.

So, first things first, any fix for the laser designators or is that a sign of something further amiss? the turret itself seems to be vibrating a bit, distant stuff is quite blurred.

that's an issue with the turret setup not the designator, do you know which order the LWCs and other weapons were put on the turret?
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2017-11-17, 08:30 AM)Lincrono Wrote: that's an issue with the turret setup not the designator, do you know which order the LWCs and other weapons were put on the turret?

The order of execution of the LWCs is displayed by the ProtecTech Industries mod, and it's also possible to change that order.
Unfortunately it cannot be saved in FtD vanilla format, so it only works as long as the mod is there, if it is removed the LWCs execution order reverts to the standard one.

But at least, you can see the order of execution, it can be very helpful to debug such situations.

(2017-11-17, 08:30 AM)Lincrono Wrote: that's an issue with the turret setup not the designator, do you know which order the LWCs and other weapons were put on the turret?

I've replaced everything in different orders - I use protectech which is telling me the turret/firing piece LWC is the first to execute, I replaced the firing piece & missile controller in that order, and then the turret/missile controller LWCs in that order, it didn't help.

[Slightly later] what did help was removing the cannon controlling Lua that crept in there :p not sure why it only affected the hulls with aimpoint...
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.

As far as I know, laser designators on turrets always vibrate around some, but I'm not sure if its the same issue you're having.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

(2017-11-17, 07:02 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: As far as I know, laser designators on turrets always vibrate around some, but I'm not sure if its the same issue you're having.

I think that's just because they update very slowly ( like all lasers ), slower than the turret movement.

I have the same issue with a submarine to take on air targets specifically like the Squirrel just due to its funky movement(forgot the word im looking for). As you know detection systems under water against air targets is bad we only have two systems that "work" and therefore aiming for air targets I end up with the same issue. However on slow moving larger targets the laser designator's lock on with 0 issues and stay fixed.

I think smaller targets are already harder to detect with our detection systems and more when something is not moving in a smooth way (totally forgot the word im looking for)

So, I am guessing its probably the detection systems you may have installed on your tank? not enough? need some other types with what you may have on already? / any custom settings perhaps may have thrown it off a bit ?

Nope, it was supposedly disabled lua arguing with the aimpoint card ( as mentioned a couple of posts above ) - I still don't know why it was happy without aimpoint. Removing the lua contents entirely fixed everything. I'm pretty good at abusing detection by now...

If you're having problems with a sub you may just have to bite the bullet & extend the averaging times, and use missiles vs Squirrels. What can also work is hordes of bad detection devices, like several radar bouys, so you get a lot of signals to average.

* Radar bouys
* Retroreflector
* Laser designator
* Wireless snooper thing ( which is an abysmal sensors )

I think that's it for seeing in air from underwater?

(2017-11-21, 08:44 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote: Nope, it was supposedly disabled lua arguing with the aimpoint card ( as mentioned a couple of posts above ) - I still don't know why it was happy without aimpoint. Removing the lua contents entirely fixed everything. I'm pretty good at abusing detection by now...

If you're having problems with a sub you may just have to bite the bullet & extend the averaging times, and use missiles vs Squirrels. What can also work is hordes of bad detection devices, like several radar bouys, so you get a lot of signals to average.

* Radar bouys
* Retroreflector
* Laser designator
* Wireless snooper thing ( which is an abysmal sensors )

I think that's it for seeing in air from underwater?

but several radar bouys, wouldnt only one be detecting anyway? sorry for trying to relate to your problem like that, I honestly thought it was kinda the same issue :/

Edit: Just double checked, they all track. Still crap though lol

(2017-11-21, 10:09 PM)lordmuck Wrote: sorry for trying to relate to your problem like that, I honestly thought it was kinda the same issue :/

Nah it's understandable, even I thought it might be detection at first - however bad detection is quite random as you'd expect & that wasn't random, it was trying to aim at two points at the same time.

For your sub I think you're going to have to rely on a few retroreflector sensors if you want any decent bearing resolution, the laser rangefinder will be ok for range as long as it doesn't trigger smoke. Shooting out of the water is not going to be accurate in itself given even with supercav the velocity below & above is different iirc. Shooting at subs with supercav rounds is awkward even with very little above-water arc.