Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

V2.03 [Dev Test] CONTENT Update

I Barely play the campaign in the first place, and I don't have a reason to complain, I set the design difficulty to Godly for a reason, I want a Challenge (And farm XP Big Grin)
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

I must agree with Majyst, factions are at severe disadvantage. Raging from building restrictions to non existant strategic AI.

Godly difficulty is for the best of the best, and units there should put up some fight atleast.

Also, PAC is counterable with air units. It's limited effective range and field of fire means a 1-axis PAC is not a versatile weapon. Throwing ships at it is not the right solution if you don't have it outgunned and outmassed

(2017-10-15, 03:14 PM)Stinger10034 Wrote: Also, PAC is counterable with air units. It's limited effective range and field of fire means a 1-axis PAC is not a versatile weapon. Throwing ships at it is not the right solution if you don't have it outgunned and outmassed

I think campaign shouldn't have cheese but got to agree here, 1-axis PAC on a ship is really easy to get around.
PACs are virtually useless when field of fire is above ~10°.

(2017-10-15, 07:53 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote: I don't mind the tanks - I like the way the PAC effects look even, I just don't agree they should have them.

I would hope the Thyr beats it given it's the signature ship of a tier higher faction and what it costs - that is not even remotely a good measure. It was explained to me that you're not meant to be clever, you're meant to fight this ship with repairbot spam - well hell, why don't I just fight everything with whatever cheese I can dig up? I'll just go one better & make a deathsat, cruise round the map edges and end everything that way.

I actually said that trying to play an endurance test against it isn't a great idea unless you are super redundant, not repair spam or any of that.

"Spam". More cheese. This is now not only acceptable but encouraged? dumb brute force or game mechanic abuse is the way forward? it's weak to APS, with... butterfly shields? yet more cheese. Yeah, sure it's weak to APS, just like everything is weak to APS if it doesn't have a LAMS. No, that is not "weak to APS", that's simply "doesn't have a LAMS".

HEAT is APS few anti-shield methods, its not cheese to use it for what is inteded for. Its not the lack of LAMs that makes it weak to HEAT-APS. The lack of LAMs makes it weak to missiles. As for Cram spam, thats just a term everyone calls any mid gauge Cram it seems.

"Try to outDPS first". This is not a challenge - a challenge is something you creatively think your way around. This is either a dumb endurance test or something you abuse the game to get around - either way it is not just no fun, it actively reduces fun. I've built my deathsat already in case I want to run the campaign again ( I suppose I could build a hovercraft full of missiles & go out for the evening while it kills the thing ), but I might just delete the ship instead.

You obviously cannot step up to this challenge because you just saw it and instantly went to the default method it takes to beat anything faction based. No, its not an endurance test, if actually took some time to think about what a pierce PAC does, which is attempt to poke at a crafts weakspot. You might realize that redundant building would defeat the PAC's main purpose really quickly. A vehicle with only cram weaponry would be one of the hardest targets for it to kill, as it doesn't have any defense or offensive advantages against crams. Or like others have mentioned, the craft works in a very specific range, too far or too high and it cannot shoot back. Maybe if you actually do what you preach, you might have actually sat down and thought of a strategic way around this challenge than brute force it with a sat. Also, just because there are shields doesn't make it anti aps, you seem to ignore APS explosive and anti-shield options which are really really good recently.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD, please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - Request new features here.
Support - Private portal to service desk.

Gonna have to weight in on the side of the newer ships. The factions need some power plays and really tough ships given they're under just about crippling limitations on size and repair that player ships are not.

PACs in particular, i find easy to counter with ships employing basic redundancy and self repair. If they can't cripple or kill an enemy in one hit they're much less threatening. They suffer from lower DPS, and they usually require some kind of steam engine, or dedicated spinal mount to be truly dangerous, both options that limit endurance and are sustainable to damage respectively. Under the artificial limitations of most tournaments (close range, limited self-repair, limited match time, etc) this makes them OP but in the campaign, counters abound and the payoff for killing one is generally worth the cost of the player's fleet. When we finally get shield changes in that provide a defense and (hopefully) open up the game to more weapon options PACs and forward broadside evasion craft might lose their top block.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

Seeing all the beautiful new easy and regular level designs, but still wanting some more technical challenge from expert and godlies, is there any setting that gives me a balanced taste of every design? For example, if I set the design difficulty slider to like half, does that offer me a decent chance to see all levels of vehicles?

(2017-10-17, 05:01 AM)Stinger10034 Wrote: Seeing all the beautiful new easy and regular level designs, but still wanting some more technical challenge from expert and godlies, is there any setting that gives me a balanced taste of every design? For example, if I set the design difficulty slider to like half, does that offer me a decent chance to see all levels of vehicles?

Nope, designs can spawn one deviation from their difficulty setting, but at lower chances.

If you play on Godly, you will only see Godly/expert

On Expert, you will see Godly, Expert and Regular..◘4
"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"Exaggerating just pisses me off" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds

(2017-10-17, 05:01 AM)Stinger10034 Wrote: Seeing all the beautiful new easy and regular level designs, but still wanting some more technical challenge from expert and godlies, is there any setting that gives me a balanced taste of every design? For example, if I set the design difficulty slider to like half, does that offer me a decent chance to see all levels of vehicles?

Someone correct me If i am wrong, but can't you still set the difficulty higher in the middle of a campaign to cause the factions to start spawning their tougher designs (it's been a while since i started new). I used to set things lower, for the same reason, i really liked seeing other designs. Then after a short grace period or other trigger condition i'd ramp up to godly with max reinforce.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

yes you can change difficulty anytime you like in the campaign, change everything actually, even resource return from destroyed crafts when you're running low.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD, please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - Request new features here.
Support - Private portal to service desk.