Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bomb loader and bomb latch for carriers.

(2017-10-09, 07:06 AM)Lincrono Wrote: You're also going to need compact 'bomb' type weapons with the punch of battleship shells (or more potent missiles) to actually make carriers viable as carriers and not battleships that happen to launch drones.

There is a reason that planes came to dominate naval warfare. and it was becasue getting hit with a 500lb or 1000lb armor piercing bomb (or a cruise missile) was every bit as devastating as getting hit by a 16in shell, and a plane/missile could deliver that hit accurately from far beyond the range of any cannon. That dynamic simply does not exist in FTDs in it's current form.

The bomb latch component would be a weapon in the Miscellaneous category, probably one block long with forward extensions possible for larger shells, that can carry a single APS or CRAM shell, casing not included. On its own, a bomb latch would be useless.

The bomb loader component would be a component included in the same group. The back of a bomb loader would connect to the front of a CRAM or APS firing piece. When a vehicle was docked to a tractor beam on the parent ship - possibly with a connection somehow between the bomb loader and the particular tractor beam, but that might be tricky if there are to be multiple subvehicles with the same load - then it can load bombs onto those vehicles at a rate equal to the weapon's firing rate. There is no need for APS shells here to have casing. Loaded bombs would become part of the vehicle they were on and would persist even if the vehicle were pulled out of play.

Loaded bombs might or might not affect the mass distribution of a vehicle in flight. Either way, when and only when a bomb was loaded, a vehicle could detach it by firing the weapon. Aiming it would require either better aerial AI, a bit of default velocity addition like a CRAM bomb chute but less bugged and thereby less deadly to the bomber, or the addition of some sort of basic seeker mechanism like APN missiles have.

As I type this I realize that the bomb latch could potentially be a missile component as well, a 'Loaded Bomb' component which is itself 0.5 meters of shell storage space. But this would make ballistic bombs impossible.

In any case the purpose of this system is simple: With it, aircraft could deliver huge payloads without all the backend that goes into huge payload lobbing cannons, thus making carriers more practical both tactically and strategically. Strategically, because if loaded bombs can persist when the aircraft are pulled out of play, a squadron of planes can be loaded out of battle and deployed to battle with their carrier somewhere far and away and safe.

Along with all this there should be ACB conditions 'If bomb latches full to (Input)%' and 'If bomb latches empty to (Input)%' as well as an AI mode - perhaps a card, as a setting is required - of 'Fly Home' that causes vehicles in the mode to attempt to return to their mothership or a ship that has them selected with a tractor beam, then activate tractor beams when within a certain range; or, if no such vehicle exists in play, to head away from enemy vehicles and make for uncontested territory, then withdraw from combat when in a safe place.

you had me until the 'fly home' part. I get that that's reality, but in a world were everything else can self-generate ammo it's enough to make the system untenable. In particular, it makes it very easy to heal to full between attack runs, which defeats the purpose of giving carriers/strike craft 'teeth.' A good compromise I think is having the first part, where you have to 'prime' or 'load' the system/first shot at a mother ship and then just having a reload that scales with the size of the weapon, but not so long that we run into the current issue of very low DPS.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

Cram bomb chute and vertical missile-guided bombs ejected downwards.
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

(2017-10-09, 10:42 AM)Lincrono Wrote: you had me until the 'fly home' part. I get that that's reality, but in a world were everything else can self-generate ammo it's enough to make the system untenable. In particular, it makes it very easy to heal to full between attack runs, which defeats the purpose of giving carriers/strike craft 'teeth.' A good compromise I think is having the first part, where you have to 'prime' or 'load' the system/first shot at a mother ship and then just having a reload that scales with the size of the weapon, but not so long that we run into the current issue of very low DPS.

Campaign craft don't use repair bots and I think having multiple planes with multiple racks each could increase the DPS significantly. Probably still not to the level of a conventional cannon-armed ship, but carriers are more about range, alpha damage and staying out of the way of the other guy's big guns anyway.

(2017-10-09, 03:21 PM)Normal69 Wrote: Cram bomb chute and vertical missile-guided bombs ejected downwards.

Both work very well as bombs but are still limited by the size of the craft loading them. The whole point of this weapon system was to allow craft to carry weapons bigger than they would otherwise be able to have by displacing the backend onto a different vehicle.

So... the weapon system is split between two craft, essentially. I actually really like the sound of this. You could compensate for the lost DPS from flying back and forth by increasing the damage to volume ratio of the weapon system, ofc.
My fanfic

(2017-03-17, 12:40 PM)Gladyon Wrote: Ships are less fun than rockets
But spaceships are undeniably cooler than both.

something I found on youtube told me to use AC as a bomb dropper so I experimented with it
I ended up with a Shrike that drops about 10-15 1m pure HE shells

it uses minimum power railguns to make the AI aim and just drops the shells with 0 cooldown time.
it nuked the DWG and worked well against the OW ships with thin decks
(2017-10-09, 09:22 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: Go take a shield generator, slap that on your ship and turn the bugger up to max.

KV-2: Derp Lord of the universe

Forward broadside is only broadside

In the meantime, that will be an excellent substitute to use on my retrofits.
My fanfic

(2017-03-17, 12:40 PM)Gladyon Wrote: Ships are less fun than rockets
But spaceships are undeniably cooler than both.

It can be a pain to aim but an alternative is to use a 3x3 omni-mantlet and have a 500mm shell with 1 gunpowder set to minimum and 1 HE and some gauge coolers

or just stick the first design on an airship
(2017-10-09, 09:22 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: Go take a shield generator, slap that on your ship and turn the bugger up to max.

KV-2: Derp Lord of the universe

Forward broadside is only broadside