Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

V2.01 [Dev Test]

(2017-08-08, 11:12 PM)draba Wrote:
(2017-08-08, 08:07 PM)harnas1977 Wrote: Looks like 2.01 hit the stable branch.

To be fully frank I don't like the new APS firing visuals. To me, it looks like an over sized flame thrower than a gun, smoke is supper black and this effect looks out of place - not really corresponding well with the hit explosion.

Yep, APS is way over the top.
CRAM looks great though, I really like it. A bit too much smoke but the Bulwark's 2000mms are awesome.

500mm with lots of propellant:

[Image: fpzmc7hl.jpg]

Wait what? Over the top? We are talking about FtD here Big Grin

jk

Now one simply does need a pressure effect on the water from firing the main cannons beyond a certain caliber:

[Image: WNUS_16-50_mk7_Iowa_pic.jpg]

As you can see, the FtD team isn't too far off with the new effects. And the Iowa/Missouri only uses 4 GP modules Tongue
(2018-03-12, 05:51 AM)Chunkblaster Wrote: @Lord O' Talons What Anime is that?

(2018-03-12, 01:22 PM)Lord O Talons Wrote: BM effects and docking stations.

---lolwhat Big Grin

(2017-08-09, 07:18 AM)Tyr3n Wrote: As you can see, the FtD team isn't too far off with the new effects. And the Iowa/Missouri only uses 4 GP modules Tongue

I'd say the entire length of the ship vs 1/3 is pretty significant Smile
Real life comparisons aside: IMO this big a flash simply doesn't look good and you can't see what's going on from all the fire and smoke.

(2017-08-09, 06:50 AM)Sable Phoenix Wrote: I hate to say it, but it's still awful. It's not ear-piercing like the first one, so it IS an improvement, it's just that the new sound is freaking lame. There was nothing wrong with the original laser sound effect; just put it back to that one, the way you did with...

For me it's definitely an improvement compared to the old sound(and a BIG improvement on the previous version).
A bit muted for beefy single-beam systems but perfectly serviceable.

Agreed on PAC, like the old thunder sound.
If accuracy being tied to charge time gets removed the sound on lower charge times need some love though.

(2017-08-09, 08:50 AM)draba Wrote:
(2017-08-09, 07:18 AM)Tyr3n Wrote: As you can see, the FtD team isn't too far off with the new effects. And the Iowa/Missouri only uses 4 GP modules Tongue

I'd say the entire length of the ship vs 1/3 is pretty significant Smile
Real life comparisons aside: IMO this big a flash simply doesn't look good and you can't see what's going on from all the fire and smoke.

(2017-08-09, 06:50 AM)Sable Phoenix Wrote: I hate to say it, but it's still awful. It's not ear-piercing like the first one, so it IS an improvement, it's just that the new sound is freaking lame. There was nothing wrong with the original laser sound effect; just put it back to that one, the way you did with...

For me it's definitely an improvement compared to the old sound(and a BIG improvement on the previous version).
A bit muted for beefy single-beam systems but perfectly serviceable.

Agreed on PAC, like the old thunder sound.
If accuracy being tied to charge time gets removed the sound on lower charge times need some love though.

You are right, but keep in mind: muzzle flashes and smoke are way more persistent than in the game, with a reasonable fire rate you can see good enough, imho.

If it is too much for someone (for CRAMS at least) flash hiders might be a thing.

It is only a problem for the spameroo cannons with high gauge.

However, the sounds are fine to me, the PAC sound is one of my favorites, right next to the new CRAM sounds (this metallic ripple is just awesome, might need a bit more beef in the higher gauges).

---lolwhat Big Grin

I agree that the APS cannon visuals isn't that good.
It feels strange for lower gauge gatlins too.
I think that:
- it's too large, for all gauges (especially the length, the width is slightly better)
- the duration is too long
- there's too much smoke
- the light stay on too long after the shot
- maybe we could have different effects depending on the gauge / shell head (currently, the low gauge gatlings are really really strange)

But, it is an improvement compared to the original one.

And, the LAMS visuals are pretty good, I like them a lot.
I think it's important to speak about the positive also.

I don't know how Nick is planning the integration of the new visuals, but that usually takes some tweaking and tries and errors.
So, I think we should try to define more precisely what we think is good or isn't.

Last thing, the CRAM visuals aren't following the gun, while the APS ones are following the guns.
I'm not sure which one is the best, but they should be consistent.

I like that the lights are somewhat afterglowing after the shot, with a slow firing cannon it looks like the barrel is orange hot glowing.^^

The lighting effect should solely fade out at the cannon itself that slow to resemble that. The "spread" of the lighting should be literally a flash from the gases. Oh and fast firing cannons have faster particle effects I think.

About the lasers: hmm...I think the lighting around the LAMS may be toned back a bit, I can provide a screenshot later, but the ship is even seen from km away with a very bright green thingy around it...

I personally like it, especially in the dark. But I do not know how long. Big Grin

---lolwhat Big Grin

(2017-08-09, 09:29 AM)Gladyon Wrote: And, the LAMS visuals are pretty good, I like them a lot.
I think it's important to speak about the positive also.

Last thing, the CRAM visuals aren't following the gun, while the APS ones are following the guns.
I'm not sure which one is the best, but they should be consistent.

Lasers in general look awesome.
2 nitpicks:
- continuous LAMS didn't get the particle effects
- 4Q with many nodes may be a bit too bright

I like the CRAM version, smoke/fire not following the barrels.

(2017-08-09, 09:13 AM)Tyr3n Wrote: You are right, but keep in mind: muzzle flashes and smoke are way more persistent than in the game, with a reasonable fire rate you can see good enough, imho.

It is only a problem for the spameroo cannons with high gauge.

The cannons in the picture have 4 seconds between shots but it's still really annoying for me.

4 seconds I do consider as spameroo cannons...My fastest consistent main guns with >450mm fire about 6-10 seconds each, more common are 20-30 seconds.

Maybe a flash hider for APS might be a thing?

One gripe I do have though: the particle effect is tied to the barrel itself, getting dragged around (just like before though, leading to sometimes glitched out permanent firing effects after the cannon aborted engagement)

Is it possible to make a "standalone" particle effect that stays in the place where it was spawned? This might solve some of the "I can't see a Lamb thing" issues, especially for faster craft.

The blow-out effect of the cooling APS system may stay where it is, it looks cool Big Grin

---lolwhat Big Grin

(2017-08-09, 10:30 AM)Tyr3n Wrote: ...

Nvm who considers what spam and how it works in real life,
I think these 200m muzzle flashes look ridiculous in the game even with 1 RPM.

(2017-08-09, 10:30 AM)Tyr3n Wrote: Maybe a flash hider for APS might be a thing?

It's the little devil in me, but on that note maybe make cannons shoot little bunny-shaped shells.
Then an extra component could convert those to ones that do not look silly Smile

The effect is a Bit over the top nur Not hat Bad just Scale IT a Bit down
like's strange music Tongue

The fire effects for the APS are waaaay to long. Look at the example of the Iowa. The flashes of the iowa arent long as the ship it self xD