Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 10 Vote(s) - 3.7 Average

ANOTHER (huge) SHIP. Armad Armed Forces.

(2018-05-29, 03:03 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:
(2018-05-28, 10:40 PM)benzo711 Wrote:
(2018-05-28, 09:25 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: 1. Don't use big CRAMs! They suck!
2. Make it look nicer!
3. Don't spam HA!
(I think)

1. I like CRAMs, and I'm trying to make them feasible.
2. I tried. (Mainly through sloping and missile gantries as railings).
3. I know about armour stacking. The main turrets have nothing but HA because I want them to survive. If your ship can't fight then what's the point? Plus on the main armour belt the only place where it's nothing but HA is around the place where the engines and ammo are. Everywhere else it's 2 layers of metal in front of 1 layer of HA.
I wouldn't say I've spammed it on this ship.

You were fairly close.

My suggestion for CRAMs: if you really want CRAMs as main guns, always use 3-5 barrels, 1500-2000mm, and keep as much of it as possible within the hull. I haven't loaded in either of your monstrous ships, but given the size of the turret cap, I'm guessing that much of the gun is there, when you want nothing more than gauges. I don't know, but there is a good chance that your guns pack slowly due to an inefficient layout of autoloaders, and explosive damage also suffers.

For aesthetics: Make things less blocky. Make your turrets be on a circular base with a rectangular but sloped frame for the top. Make your hull look more or less like this: () but with the front more gradually sloped and the back coming together quicker. A gradual, semi-wedding cake superstructure will do better than your current cube, and smaller turret caps (more stuff in the hull) will also help out looks and increase survivability of your guns (less space to hit). You can also make your main guns further forward and aft, to allow some superfiring and more room for secondaries.

For armor: Like WWII Russia's tank mentality, you don't need 2m HA on your turret if the barrel will explode sooner than 1m HA can get worn down. The barrels, especially since your turrets are flat-fronted, will take damage and get destroyed quicker than your armor will ever hold up. Unless you are worried exclusively about high-gauge sabot, you don't need more than maybe 1m HA and 1m metal. Also, you should probably put wood, alloy, or metal inside behind the HA to act as a spall liner, since HA fragments will do a lot to the inside of your ship (HESH). Some material buoyancy (wood or alloy) will help your ship float better.

I`ve sawed off Xacamakar`s main turret. Just take a look.
[Image: 1GPZgB7h.jpg]

Attached Files
.blueprint   All that glitters is not gold.blueprint (Size: 211.64 KB / Downloads: 1)
"Stay alive, stay active, and get as much practice as you can." - Francis Albert Sinatra

The reason they look like that is because Dale.... Er, I mean, Armad's only concept of beauty is hatred.
A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.

Guys, I tried to make it look better by adding more missile gantries railings but I don't know. Sad
"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."-TheMightyJingles.

My last name is Proctor
The Proctor is a ship in the game
Yay. I'm happy.

Blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28006

(2018-05-30, 11:19 AM)benzo711 Wrote: Guys, I tried to make it look better by adding more missile gantries railings but I don't know. Sad

That's why ya should practice it in Trial and Errors. If ya can Tetris the weapon systems. Then the hull shapes ya can do as well... And please don't ever say again "I don't know". Sooner or later ppls getting tired with ya excuses. Just practice it and make it happen. Angry

Ok, I'm not the best at aesthetics (or spelling the word aesthetics, though I think I got it right), but I'll try to give you some suggestions:

For the hull, first layout the bottom, waterline, and deck shape, so 3 vertical images of what your ship should look like. They will be 3 horizontal layers, maybe about 4-8m apart, depending on size. These should be more than a wedge on a box. Try making the deck an oval shape, make the waterline an oval with a pointy bit towards the front, and make the bottom a smaller ovalish shape. Then, attach them together with various slopes. You can sometimes go without corners and inverted corners, but often times it looks best with them.

For the deck: you can use wood or alloy, sometimes painted, to get a better deck look. Sloping up the front often gives a more battleshippy feel, and you can use various things for railings. I prefer normal metal with slopes that match the hull, though you can also use paddles, glass, or other things, often on spinblocks to get angles that match the hull. ERA armor can be used to make glass or paddles look better when going in one meter from a slope. Missiles are a bit more expensive and the red looks a bit odd.

For turrets: I like to keep my turret caps small, it provides a smaller target, and you often want your more vulnerable components in the hull, anyway. I typically go with the bottom 1m as a slop slightly bigger than the width I want the cap to be, then a semi-rectangular cap, with the front sloped up with 1m or 2m vertically, and the back sloped parallel, meaning it gets bigger at the top, reversing the effect at the front. Then I tend to add a couple things sticking out either side at the back, at the highest point or 1m down. ERA slopes work on smaller guns, but you can use full metal on main guns. The top of my turrets is normally almost a rectangle, with slopes to the sides and front, but a mostly flat top.

For superstructure: I can't, but I'll try to give you some tips: Make it layered, so dedicate a certain amount of your hull between the main guns as superstructure area, I typically leave 2-3m on either side for walking, but you can use the full width, especially if the superstructure is walkable or only overhangs over walkways. You probably want it to be at least 5m wide everywhere, but it can and should be wider where the bridge and any secondaries are. Try to have variation in where the guns are, so not a simple line at one height. Makes some superfiring, some in the middle, some in front or behind, etc. Try to make the bridge a few levels up from the deck, and add some towers on top. Smoke stacks can be vertical or slightly sloped back, but they should be within the superstructure area, possibly with an extra layer of deck over the minimum.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Guys, is it better now?

(Wider, more secondaries, better looking main turrets (IMO) and better (?) super structure.)

My last name is Proctor
Yay. I'm happy.

(2018-06-01, 11:50 AM)benzo711 Wrote: Guys, is it better now?

(Wider, more secondaries, better looking main turrets (IMO) and better (?) superstructure.)

It still lags massively and still costs too much, but the aesthetic-wise now it`s more pleasing. Far better, though I was thinking that my computer gonna die. Try and do something similar to the Ximarka.
"Stay alive, stay active, and get as much practice as you can." - Francis Albert Sinatra

*Forgets to put steering on the Xacamakar lol*

It has steering now. (ecs dee)

My last name is Proctor
Yay. I'm happy.

Better, but the main guns could still use some work. The front one could be moved forward a bit, to allow a more varied superstructure, and perhaps a superfiring secondary could be put there. Try making the main guns a bit lower, maybe 1 or 2m height, and maybe another few meters thinner.

I just now saw your main guns, and nearly threw up. Do you see any sort of problem with them?

Let me elaborate. That shape rotates in a I think 27m well, while a more efficient shape will rotate in a 13x13 well, 1/4 the volume, while costing less and being more efficient. I also noticed that it is entirely made of explosive pellets, hopefully attached to autoloaders. What I do, is I put ammo boxes on the outside where they attach to 1 or 2 autoloaders. I put HE in the middle where they get 4 connections. I put hardener boxes on 2 or maybe 3 connection spots.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Apparently Khaz is posting on blueprint threads.

Notice meh.

My last name is Proctor
Yay. I'm happy.