Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

The relative power level of From the Depths.

(2017-04-24, 01:15 AM)Hikari Wrote:
(2017-04-22, 06:29 PM)afjklol Wrote: From the depths is not as Op as you made it sound like. You are looking at it the wrong way.
Average APS have abysmal velocity. Even railguns have really low velocity which barely approaches modern artillery systems.
Wood taking on CRAM because CRAM have a velocity of a baseball being thrown by a baseball player.

1m of wood is enough to stop traditional muzzle loaded cannons from the age of sail. During the American Revolution, a meters worth of ,sand, dirt and/or planks of wood was enough to stop gunfire and cannon fire. In fact iirc couple meters of hay was enough to stop bullets from muskets

FtD range rarely if ever shoots beyond 5km.
That is a limitation of AI, not the weapon's limitation. You can see APS get up to 20km effective range or more with railguns
Even if they do, they miss by a mile. They do have fast RoF, but that is pointless because you get sniped by a supersonic anti-ship missile 20x the range FtD can ever imagine.
FTD armor is way stronger than anti-ship missiles and lams take them down even faster. Close range explosive won't affect a few meters of metal.

Our armor takes like 3 layers of metal to stop a subsonic sabot round. Modern APFSDS can go at high supersonic to low hypersonic speeds. If FtD need that thick of a armor to stop some subsonic projectile, it will be paper to anything a modern weapon system can do.
Assuming modern weapons can actually go through 3m of metal.
Abrams has 1m of armor and its pretty much immune to weaponry

FTD ships also can easily do 70+ knots, I am sure modern ships don't do 70
knots

Our planes move as fast as a normal warship. Any WW2 fighter can completely outperform us. We are as agile as some WW1 aircraft, but turn fighters tend to lose to energy fighters.
And modern aircrafts are all better than FtD in terms of energy fighting. Also do note that newer generation fighters with super-maneuverability can be almost as agile as FtD planes.

Modern fighters can't fly around with 1m of armor

We can't even break the speed of sound.

We broke the speed of light x11.1million times over

Our tanks are fast, but they are paper thin in armor and have guns that can't do anything with our AP munitions due to the low velocity. Most of FtD tanks are huge. Easy target. FtD tanks aren't that accurate so we will get sniped 4-5km away. Our engines... hmmm considering they can power lasers that goes through material... they are fairly powerful I guess. But thats about it

Shells don't need to go supersonic speeds when they're 500mm and weight a few tons, and yet again... armor...

Nukes? We have 12m radius nuke. That is laughable to even conventional munitions.

Modern nukes are better since ftd is stuck with limits for explosions.

In a real scenario,
FTD has shields RL will never have, shields that block anything kinetic or energy, nuff said

In land,
In land FTD has things larger than the Ratte and move at over 300miles per hour. (135m/s being the land speed limit in ftd)

I do not see anything in real life being able to match the ability of FTD stuff simply because FTD stuff doesn't follow IRL rules. You don't get gattling guns that shoot 2500rpm 500mm/8m shells IRL. Thats like shooting massive bombs out of a cannon. I don't think you fully understand the scale of things in FTD to modern stuff. Sure modern stuff is more complex, but it lacks in raw aspects of everything in FTD except explosions. Who cares about subsonic solid rounds when you shoot things that are up to a ton for shells. A simple 500mm solid bullet could be ~150kg in a single solid shot. Pyrotech essentially hit every single mark correctly.

A weapon system is only as good as its targetting. The AI's 5km range limitation gives a hard limit to the range of FtD ships. Even if their weapons are good enough to hit targets further away they can't be properly aimed at greater distances.

You're also putting way too much emphasis on the thickness of FtD armor. 1m of FtD metal armor can be pierced by a low-gauge subsonic kinetic round, this is clearly not a material comparable to materials used in IRL ship armors.
I can sail my airplane in space.

Guys, this has just gotten silly now. It's quite clear that there are 2 camps on this, one pointing out the impossibilities caused by the game engine, and the other pointing out the shortcomings that are used to simplify the design process.

If weapons in FtD were over the horizon Cannons and missiles, you'd never get to see the enemy craft you are firing at/taking fire from. Speed is also limited to make aircraft less overpowered and allow a simple set of weapons systems to work vs any design type rather than needing one set for ships, one for aircraft, and probably one for subs.

There's​pretty much no way to accurately categorise the comparisons between FtD and real life, as the rules on which each run are completely incomparable.
Skullsploder - FtD: where engineering reusable self-teleporting nukes is easier than putting.a bomb on a stick attached to a rocket.

(2017-04-25, 08:44 AM)TheShadowKick Wrote: You're also putting way too much emphasis on the thickness of FtD armor. 1m of FtD metal armor can be pierced by a low-gauge subsonic kinetic round, this is clearly not a material comparable to materials used in IRL ship armors.

But you skipped right over my emphasis on shields that completely stop all kinetic shells. RL shells go faster which make them even easier to bounce.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD, please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - Request new features here.
Support - Private portal to service desk.

(2017-04-25, 12:18 PM)Hikari Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 08:44 AM)TheShadowKick Wrote: You're also putting way too much emphasis on the thickness of FtD armor. 1m of FtD metal armor can be pierced by a low-gauge subsonic kinetic round, this is clearly not a material comparable to materials used in IRL ship armors.

But you skipped right over my emphasis on shields that completely stop all kinetic shells. RL shells go faster which make them even easier to bounce.

Well for the sake of continuing this fun ridiculousness. If we agree that Shields would stop the rounds BUT the effectiveness of FTDs ammo proves that FTDs armor is either weak compared to real life, or the blocks are not solid (which is indicated by their apparent density) then modern explosive bombs and missiles would shred them about as easily as they shred thick RL armors.

FTDs ships are vulnerable to cram shells, modern aircraft can deliver bombs that are larger and more powerful than even the heaviest cram shells while possessing pinpoint accuracy and greater speed. Similarly, modern missiles are orders of magnitude faster than the fastest FTDs missiles and we all know how much FTDs defenses struggle against fast missiles.

Meanwhile modern ships fight at ranges far beyond the sensor, and targeting range of FTDs ships AND beyond the range of nearly all FTDs weapons.

However, I still think that the most effective way to beat an invading FTDs force would be to simply run away while bombing their supply lines until the combat units ran out of fuel.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

I think we're all ascribing too much to the screwy physics used in FtD... there's a whole lot of compromises made in the name of balance and enjoyment (planes are slow, rounds are slow and relatively short range due to the simplicity of the targeting algorithms, everything is more buoyant than it really should be), so realism isn't exactly a strong point in most cases.
Skullsploder - FtD: where engineering reusable self-teleporting nukes is easier than putting.a bomb on a stick attached to a rocket.

(2017-04-25, 12:18 PM)Hikari Wrote: But you skipped right over my emphasis on shields that completely stop all kinetic shells. RL shells go faster which make them even easier to bounce.

Shields don't do a thing against missiles, which most modern navies use extensively.

(2017-04-25, 02:25 PM)Lincrono Wrote: However, I still think that the most effective way to beat an invading FTDs force would be to simply run away while bombing their supply lines until the combat units ran out of fuel.

Unfortunately, FtD ships have the ability to blast ships and structures into scrap and convert that into fuel. Our best best would be extreme range missile strikes, which is something we kind of excel at.

(2017-04-25, 04:12 PM)Pyrotech51 Wrote: I think we're all ascribing too much to the screwy physics used in FtD... there's a whole lot of compromises made in the name of balance and enjoyment (planes are slow, rounds are slow and relatively short range due to the simplicity of the targeting algorithms, everything is more buoyant than it really should be), so realism isn't exactly a strong point in most cases.

The differences are what make the discussion fun.

One of the more interesting questions would be if turret popping would affect IRL vehicles in any manner lol.

Just imagine this,
Shells that can judge wether or not a swivel is worthy of being a turret or not. The tanks with turrets worthy enough get popped while the crappier tanks prove less prone and thus, while the war wages on and the IRL army starts switching to less advanced swivels in order to counteract sudden loss of gun turrets, some person discovers the secret of how the shells judge and then unfolds his ingenius marketing plan that causes a plot twist so twisty, it opens a portal that sucks everything into a dark world where you have to watch every second of all yet to exist script writers of everything from movies, books, comics, games, etc etc,at work over and over again for all eternity....with no snacks!!!.

One rarely manages to punch through the 5th wall because the 5th wall has seen its 4th brethren get punctured and punctured unwillingly in agony, causing little 5th wall to resort to hiding.
meanwhile 6th and 7th wall are just chillin.
Never sail out to far on the daft raft.

(2017-04-22, 06:29 PM)afjklol Wrote: you get sniped by a supersonic anti-ship missile 20x the range FtD can ever imagine.

We can't even break the speed of sound.

Nukes? We have 12m radius nuke. That is laughable to even conventional munitions.

In a real scenario, FtD ships and planes will get destroyed by supersonic missiles instantly from 100km away

In land, FtD aircrafts dropping like flies due to various missiles or SPAAG. FtD
(2017-04-24, 02:21 PM)mrvecz Wrote: RL has:
- Cannons and missiles are much more dangerous
- Longer range
(2017-04-25, 05:31 PM)TheShadowKick Wrote: Shields don't do a thing against missiles, which most modern navies use extensively.
Our best best would be extreme range missile strikes, which is something we kind of excel at.

Hate you break it to you guys, but we have missiles that can go at mach 6 easily, and have range measured not in miles, but light years. and when done correctly these can either A, oneshot the target, or B, transport it infinite meters in multiple directions simultaneuosly without technically damaging it.

Yes, that is a thing we have in FTD. They do that.
Uses the golden ratio.

[Image: n4pzmbo]

Fat_ninja - today at 1:40 PM
Would the perfect pair of boobs be 1.6 times the size of the body or vice versa?

(2017-04-25, 06:37 PM)spookywaggon Wrote: Hate you break it to you guys, but we have missiles that can go at mach 6 easily, and have range measured not in miles, but light years. and when done correctly these can either A, oneshot the target, or B, transport it infinite meters in multiple directions simultaneuosly without technically damaging it.

Yes, that is a thing we have in FTD. They do that.

What are you even talking about?

(2017-04-25, 05:31 PM)TheShadowKick Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 12:18 PM)Hikari Wrote: But you skipped right over my emphasis on shields that completely stop all kinetic shells. RL shells go faster which make them even easier to bounce.

Shields don't do a thing against missiles, which most modern navies use extensively.

Well they will after the 2.0 patch