Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Request] smallest possible laser for a 4 node LAMS

So i need the smallest possible laser system that can succesfully defend against a WF Retiarius salvo with 4 LAMS nodes. Power use should be fairly low-medium so i can mount it on smaller vessels.
Thanks in advance Big Grin
Please check out my creations. I need tips.
Mediocre builder.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=885784383

I made these little units, slap a bunch on the deck/superstructure.

(2017-03-29, 09:30 AM)ThatZenoGuy Wrote: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=885784383

I made these little units, slap a bunch on the deck/superstructure.

Wow i never thought about deck mounted lasers!
Please check out my creations. I need tips.
Mediocre builder.

(2017-03-29, 10:05 AM)jihad-teppo Wrote: Wow i never thought about deck mounted lasers!

I'm surprised so few people (if any at all) don't know about that.

They're really good though, especially in large numbers.

After testing, you can usually do it with a 4Q laser with one coupler hooked to a storage cavity, two standard cavities (eight pumps), and two frequency doublers, assuming you set the LAMS defenses to fire within 100 meters' range to avoid wasting power. You will want shields to protect against the ensuing frag showers and I'd avoid putting it too much on the deck itself because why use more deck-space than you need to for it? LAMS nodes can easily be configured to protect at all angles with no moving parts.

However... Against the Retiarius itself, if your ship is moving slow enough, I'd recommend using a smoke defense instead of a standard LAMS defense. (Or in addition if the laser nodes can be placed outside the smoke zone.) Put smoke defenses around where you expect it to aim on your ship. If it works right it'll foul the Retiarius' laser designation systems and, as a result, cause the missiles to miss badly.