Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Smart Lua Missile Guidance System v2.1.2

(2017-09-09, 05:55 AM)sundy123 Wrote:
(2017-09-08, 11:25 PM)Lincrono Wrote:
(2017-09-08, 06:10 AM)sundy123 Wrote: Are ballistic missiles that go to space and drift to the target, then turn off their thrusters and fall onto the target possible? If so how should I do it?

If by ballistic missile you mean nukes, yes they're very possible though you don't switch off the thrusters or you lose guidance, they're also expensive.

If you mean regular missiles this is basically how APN bombs work. However there is no point in having a boost into orbit followed by a glide. It is possible but extremely wasteful and the success rate against a moving target is very low. If you're tuning off thrust to avoid LAMs it's much better to aim right for the target, dump all the fuel in a max burn near the target, then coast to the target, and even that is somewhat less effective than just mass swarms or large, fast thumpers.

I mean regular missiles, the reason for ballistic missiles is for maximum range, i have achieved indetectable missiles of range 3000m without lua, i believe with lua i can reach 5000m. However i lack the skills. As there is less drag high up fuel use can be significantly reduced. So the missiles can reach targets further and faster

Hey sunday123,
In theory it should already be possible using this script, however it will take some tinkering with the UserConfig variables. Here's what your'll probably need to deal with:
-CruisingAltitude: Will need to be set high enough to get your missile into space.
-BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange: Should be set to a fairly high number so when you start coasting, you are actually pointing at the target, but not too low that you can't get into space.
-UseFuelDefinedThrustControl: Your'll probably want to set this to false so that you can directly influence the thrust levels.
-BaseMissileThrust:Your'll have to try to find the right level which burns up just enough fuel to get you into space and pointing at your enemy.

Yeah its not perfect...maybe at some point in the future ill implement this behaviour in the code properally. (no promises)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I consider my ambassadors to be the best in the world, they always seem to come to a successful resolution, I just wish they could learn to use a few less missiles on passing seagulls.

Not much luck with my recent trails, I do hope you add this option.

Somehow some missiles don't work properly, as shown, only 1 missile is tracking properly, 3 from the same launcher are not and 4 from another launcher are just not responding at all. Some times the script end with this log:
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:766: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:766: in function 'ControlMissileThrust'
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:782: in function 'SetMissileThrust'
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:849: in function 'Update'
[string "temp buffer"]:74: in function 'RunUpdate'
[string "temp buffer"]:80: in function <[string "temp buffer"]:78>

(After further testing some missiles decides to work randomly, some times all work, sometimes only 1 does, sometimes the script stops)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2017-09-10, 09:29 AM)sundy123 Wrote: Somehow some missiles don't work properly, as shown, only 1 missile is tracking properly, 3 from the same launcher are not and 4 from another launcher are just not responding at all. Some times the script end with this log:
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:766: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:766: in function 'ControlMissileThrust'
[string "--FTD Smart Missile Guidance System..."]:782: in function 'SetMissileThrust'

(After further testing some missiles decides to work randomly, some times all work, sometimes only 1 does, sometimes the script stops)

Hello Sundy123,

Thanks for the bug report, unfortunatly I have not been able recreate this bug yet, and I currently can't tell whats causing it. Could you please post the construct so I can try to figure out what the problem is.
I consider my ambassadors to be the best in the world, they always seem to come to a successful resolution, I just wish they could learn to use a few less missiles on passing seagulls.

I can report having the same issue. I am using the new script from the pastebin and the first missile in a volley seems to track excellently, then about 9-10 missiles will cruise in a holding pattern around and above the target. I have tried switching the multitarget off, I have tried changing the missile itself, nothing seems to work when fiddling with what I have available.

But the flight pattern is very consistent. One missile hits superb, then wait wait wait wait and then after 9 missiles I get a clear hit again. I am using a vertical launch setup from a submarine below water with a single ejector, 14 launchpads with staggered fire.

Addendum:
I don't have anything in the log and my script also doesn't stop running.

Yet another addendum:
The missiles that hit well also seem to have inconsistent approach paths. One dips into the water for the extra explosive damage, another commits to a high altitude approach and drops on the target. The missiles have Frag-Exp-EMP-EMP warheads.

(2017-09-11, 11:51 AM)6dwavenminer Wrote:
(2017-09-10, 09:29 AM)sundy123 Wrote: Somehow some missiles don't work properly, as shown, only 1 missile is tracking properly, 3 from the same launcher are not and 4 from another launcher are just not responding at all. Some times the script end with this log:
stack traceback:

Hello Sundy123,

Thanks for the bug report, unfortunatly I have not been able recreate this bug yet, and I currently can't tell whats causing it. Could you please post the construct so I can try to figure out what the problem is.

Here is the blueprint, the missiles are mounted on 2 2 axis turrets and the VLS system is not lua, they are experimental missiles so don't mind them

Attached Files
.blueprint   Blizzard Class Guided Missile Destroyer.blueprint (Size: 364.83 KB / Downloads: 22)

(2017-09-11, 01:51 PM)sundy123 Wrote:
(2017-09-11, 11:51 AM)6dwavenminer Wrote:
stack traceback:

Hello Sundy123,

Here is the blueprint, the missiles are mounted on 2 2 axis turrets and the VLS system is not lua, they are experimental missiles so don't mind them

Hey Sundy123,

I've found the issue, in previous versions of my code, and in the example userconfig's on the first post I mistyped one of the variable names causing the issue.

To fix this, on line 34 change "BoostIntecpetionTime" to "BoostInterceptionTime".

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, hope this didn't cause you too much grief, I'm just going to fix the post up now I've facepalmed myself enough times...(This isn't the first time i've made this kind of stupid mistake)

Hmmm that wasn't the issue for me apparently, my LUA box did not show any spelling errors on that line. I grabbed the code only yesterday and several times over today to make sure I copied it correctly.

(2017-09-11, 10:02 PM)snowdrake Wrote: Hmmm that wasn't the issue for me apparently, my LUA box did not show any spelling errors on that line. I grabbed the code only yesterday and several times over today to make sure I copied it correctly.

Hey Snowdrake, sounds like your missiles are just staying at their cruising height, in which case just increase the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange" in the user config. However, it could also be that the missiles don't think they can turn in time to hit the target, to fix this mutliple soultions are possible:
-Overwrite this behaviour (although the missiles will probably now miss) by increasing "InterceptionTurnAngleTollerance"
-Increasing the turn speed of your missiles by having a higher fin to length ratio
-Have your missiles start directly targetting the enemy sooner by increasing the "BaseDirectEngagementGroundRange"
-Use a turret to aim the missiles at the target
-Playing around with the thrust values

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Ok, so the script stopped stopping, but the missiles still aim unpredictably, some work fine but some don't and just aim at an empty point in space

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)