Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Smart Lua Missile Guidance System v2.1.2

Hey Aleksander,

It would seem you are correct and it is possible to change the thrust of missiles, it's just very hard to find any documtation on it.

I do have some prototype code thats got it working, however, it currently causes huge amounts of lag...

Anyway Expect to see it in the 1.4 version, which i'll hopefully have out within a week. (Unless I get round to doing that re-write of the code i've been thinking of doing)

In terms of part targeting, that, if it's possible, will probably have to wait till 1.5.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that thrust editing is possible.

(2017-07-28, 10:56 PM)Aleksander Wit Wrote: I think i have heard of missile thrust editing lua?... I am just saying that it could make thumper missiles usable if it get huge speed the last 0.5 sec before it hits. Mabye Nick got an idea on how to do it?
I consider my ambassadors to be the best in the world, they always seem to come to a successful resolution, I just wish they could learn to use a few less missiles on passing seagulls.

A part of the target prediction guidance could be that the missile can increase thrust when the prediction do not have a sucsessful hit on a very fast enemy (if it misses the enemy and gets behind it) so that it can get the speed to chase the enemy and hit it.

Hey Aleksander,
Good news and better news,
What you have suggested I am putting in the 2.0 version(There will be no 1.5 as I'm finally getting around to the re-write).
But in the 1.4 version i'm litterally about to release, the thrust will increase with an enemies speed, and will also boost several seconds(can be changed in the user config) before interception.

(2017-07-29, 10:02 AM)Aleksander Wit Wrote: A part of the target prediction guidance could be that the missile can increase thrust when the prediction do not have a sucsessful hit on a very fast enemy (if it misses the enemy and gets behind it) so that it can get the speed to chase the enemy and hit it.
I consider my ambassadors to be the best in the world, they always seem to come to a successful resolution, I just wish they could learn to use a few less missiles on passing seagulls.

whoopsie, spotted another bug in your latest.
if PositiveEvadeDistance.y > MaxAllowedCruisingAltitude then
AimPoint.y = MaxAllowedCruisingAltitude.y;

to
AimPoint.y = MaxAllowedCruisingAltitude;

cheers!

Question... how do you determine the values to use for missile thrust?

Thanks again evilebob,

In the 1.4 version the missile thrust is calculated by:
MissileThrust = BaseMissileThrust + (EnemyTargetSpeed * MissileThrustTargetSpeedMultiplier);
if IntecpetionTime < BoostIntecpetionTime then
MissileThrust = MissileThrust + BoostThrust;
end

Where the following are in the user config section:
BaseMissileThrust , default: 600
MissileThrustTargetSpeedMultiplier , default: 10
BoostIntecpetionTime , default 7
BoostThrust , default: 8000

But in the 2.0 version...welll i'm currently playing around with thrust at the moment, so we'll just have to see where it goes...

(2017-07-30, 05:16 PM)evilebob Wrote: whoopsie, spotted another bug in your latest.
AimPoint.y = MaxAllowedCruisingAltitude.y;

to
AimPoint.y = MaxAllowedCruisingAltitude;

cheers!

Question... how do you determine the values to use for missile thrust?

I tried to use this script with my a new sub I'm working on right now. But somehow it's not working. I don't why, as I even tried around with your "example ship". Did I forget something? Would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance! And thanks for the script.
Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...1107441442

Hello TheXHypex,

I have found two problems:
1. The LUA code does not fire the missiles, you will need a weapons controller.
2. You are using the version 1.3.0 which is bugged, you might want to try the 1.4 version, or (if it is up by the time you read this) the 2.0 version which is almost ready.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

I've been trying to discover thumper missiles and your script me gave the best results of everything I found so far, it worked great when missiles decide to go for the target (and the example configs are a nice touch). But most (about 7/8) of my missiles always fly sideways and they go poof at about the same altitude, so I guess that's the safe detonation thing? Just in case I attached the thing I tested against a turned off marauder and bulwark and can't think of why the missiles would waste themselves. The target was always within range and the 1/8 of the missiles that work properly are spread out through the salvo, not just at the start or end. My vehicle also uses draba's (may his pillow be comfortably cool) hover script and I've been wondering if lua boxes coexist peacefully, but I tried removing it and the result was the same.

PS: If anyone feels the need to part with some advice on how to make good thumper missiles, I'd be willing to take it off their hands.

Attached Files
.blueprint   lua missile cube.blueprint (Size: 186.09 KB / Downloads: 36)

Hey Amadan,
I've checked you're construct, the problem is that the wasted missiles are being wasted because they are not being controlled by the LUA code. Why? To allow mutliple versions of the code to exist on the same construct, to control different missiles with different settings, only LUA transcievers with a set range of a set weapons controller, may be used by that script.

To fix this:

In v2.0.0 on line 11 (line 12 in v2.0.0b):
MaxDistanceBetweenLuaTranscieverAndMissileControl = 10; --The maximum distnace between a lua transciever and its corrisponding missile control block.

In you're case I found that the value '26' seemed to work.
Note: I noticed that you are using v2.0.0b, I would highly recommend updating to v2.0.0 as the previous version had a rare bug which could crash your game...

And in terms of the other lua script, my code should work with anything else as long as the other code doesn't try to aim the missiles while in flight or anything.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

One day I will manage to ask a question on the forum without the answer being embarrassingly simple, but today is not that day. Thanks mate, guidance is great now. The code library could really use an update that includes this script. Although for some reason, if they approached the target at too steep an angle, the missiles would try to turn up (pitch only) just before hitting the target, resulting in a miss. Making sure their approach is more horizontal with a low cruise altitude (100m was good for me) and longer direct ground engagement range (I used 300m) worked just fine, but the example config is quite different from that, so I don't know what to make of it.

I also wanted to suggest tweaking the boost bit so that it takes remaining fuel or distance from launcher to target into account (unless I missed something and it already does), so as to better spend the remaining fuel from a short flight or avoid running out during a long one.