Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Central laser mainframe idea

There's a disturbing lack of threads on this sub-subforum... I'll add in a new topic to debate the merits of a specific part.

As people who do a lot of laser turret work tend to know, there's a part that transfers laser charge across somewhat large distances. This thread is asking about various ways to make use of that part to make a central, heavily protected, battery/charging chamber for a large number of lasers that are distantly separated.

How useful is this? How often have any of you made use of the distance allowance to have a large central assembly to power several lasers from? What are the more useful ways of using the setup, in your opinions?

Generally, I'd have the "mainframe" be a heavily armored block of laser cavities, pumps and beam damage increasing parts. Then, I'd have smaller substations for directing the charge to where it needs to be, along with whatever parts are needed for qualities needed for the function of the laser it's going to. Ultimately, the only remotely exposed parts would be the parts that the final lasers come out of. Would this setup work?
As the username suggests, I am obsessed with versatility. Lots of missiles and advanced cannons for weapons, prefabs for most functions to be put in 'slots' and the actual big ships and tanks being just blocks made to go slightly under 30 m/s surrounded by hulks made of subvehicles.

Transceivers - the part you refer to - are awesome. Their benefits are pretty much one of the three big advantages of lasers in general, along with their absolute nonvolatility and hitscan effect. Most of my ships with lasers have their lasers heavily protected somewhere deep inside the structure.

Though the only 'parts needed for qualities needed for the function of the laser it's going to' I can imagine are frequency doublers - which apply to the whole system, and can go in the mainframe - and combiner wavefront adjusters and colorers, which go on the combiner, which has to go directly behind the laser's muzzle. Lasers are easier and more efficient than cannons to set up in 'bullpup' configurations with the optics embedded in the hull.

I would honestly be a little surprised to see a laser setup that didn't hide its core stuff in the center. I'm not entirely sure why one would have multiple systems, aside from the block limit, or perhaps separating lasers by number of Q-switches and purpose.

(2016-12-26, 05:33 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote: Transceivers - the part you refer to - are awesome. Their benefits are pretty much one of the three big advantages of lasers in general, along with their absolute nonvolatility and hitscan effect. Most of my ships with lasers have their lasers heavily protected somewhere deep inside the structure.

Though the only 'parts needed for qualities needed for the function of the laser it's going to' I can imagine are frequency doublers - which apply to the whole system, and can go in the mainframe - and combiner wavefront adjusters and colorers, which go on the combiner, which has to go directly behind the laser's muzzle. Lasers are easier and more efficient than cannons to set up in 'bullpup' configurations with the optics embedded in the hull.

I would honestly be a little surprised to see a laser setup that didn't hide its core stuff in the center. I'm not entirely sure why one would have multiple systems, aside from the block limit, or perhaps separating lasers by number of Q-switches and purpose.

What I mean is that some laser parts are only useful in specific types of lasers. It's those parts that would go in the 'substations,' which act as a source of stuff that wouldn't be in the "mainframe" for the system. The "mainframe" is for the basic damage and generation, with the various extras going into substations, including some extra damage stuff.
As the username suggests, I am obsessed with versatility. Lots of missiles and advanced cannons for weapons, prefabs for most functions to be put in 'slots' and the actual big ships and tanks being just blocks made to go slightly under 30 m/s surrounded by hulks made of subvehicles.

Which laser parts in particular are you thinking of? As far as I know a single laser system (built around one multipurpose laser block) is homogeneous, and any combiner or LAMS that fires from it will draw power and effects from all connected cavities in proportion to their capacity, number of destabilizers, and number of Q-switches. It doesn't really matter where the cavity lines are on the ship as long as they're connected by transceivers to the same multipurpose laser core.

The only things that I know of that can make the beams from the same laser system at the same charge levels be different are the configurations of the particular combiner / LAMS node it's fired from. Optics, steering optics, wavefront adjusters and colorers, as well as combiner versus munition defense node of course.

(2016-12-28, 08:48 PM)BioPhoenix Wrote: Which laser parts in particular are you thinking of? As far as I know a single laser system (built around one multipurpose laser block) is homogeneous, and any combiner or LAMS that fires from it will draw power and effects from all connected cavities in proportion to their capacity, number of destabilizers, and number of Q-switches. It doesn't really matter where the cavity lines are on the ship as long as they're connected by transceivers to the same multipurpose laser core.

The only things that I know of that can make the beams from the same laser system at the same charge levels be different are the configurations of the particular combiner / LAMS node it's fired from. Optics, steering optics, wavefront adjusters and colorers, as well as combiner versus munition defense node of course.

What I'm thinking is using multiple transceivers in a row to get effectively diagonal transfers, while adding some things to the things the transceivers are on to make them more in line with what is needed at the point using it.

(2016-12-28, 09:23 PM)Versatility Nut Wrote: What I'm thinking is using multiple transceivers in a row to get effectively diagonal transfers, while adding some things to the things the transceivers are on to make them more in line with what is needed at the point using it.

Oh! I see what you mean now.
Yeah, laser systems don't currently detect whether components are 'downstream' of a particular transceiver or not - only whether they're linked into the system as a whole. If you connect couplers to a transceiver that says it's connected to a multipurpose laser system, it will connect those couplers and anything on them to the entire rest of the system.

(2016-12-28, 11:00 PM)BioPhoenix Wrote:
(2016-12-28, 09:23 PM)Versatility Nut Wrote: What I'm thinking is using multiple transceivers in a row to get effectively diagonal transfers, while adding some things to the things the transceivers are on to make them more in line with what is needed at the point using it.

Oh! I see what you mean now.
Yeah, laser systems don't currently detect whether components are 'downstream' of a particular transceiver or not - only whether they're linked into the system as a whole. If you connect couplers to a transceiver that says it's connected to a multipurpose laser system, it will connect those couplers and anything on them to the entire rest of the system.

That... is an interesting code flaw. I do believe that this fact opens the option of decentralized laser systems, making fully disabling the lasers much harder. On top of the usual use of transceivers of sticking the laser cavities far away from the thing doing the shooting.