Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

small 4q LAMs ?

could some 1 give me an idea on making a small 4q system- 4x5x10, all the ones i've seen r bigger for multiple nodes, i m looking to set up 2 small units fore & aft with just 2 nodes each & the dimensions on my starter ship r constrained.
thanks, smokey66

I had the same space constraint issue, gave up trying to squeeze everything into the hull & ended up building an extended keel so I only needed two couplers per system - the lazer calc told me I only needed 2 pumps per cavity for a 2 node system at 260dmg per pulse, practical tests seem to bear that out ( quite hard to read the combiner tooltip, at 4Hz, mind ). I'm a complete lazer noob though.

(2016-12-16, 05:44 PM)copaceticsmokey Wrote: could some 1 give me an idea on making a small 4q system- 4x5x10, all the ones i've seen r bigger for multiple nodes, i m looking to set up 2 small units fore & aft with just 2 nodes each & the dimensions on my starter ship r constrained.
thanks, smokey66

what are you looking to kill with this system? something this small won't down masses of missiles but it can be built to competently deal with larger missiles, a small CRAM volley, or groups of smaller missiles. They get built slightly different though.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2016-12-16, 07:22 PM)Lincrono Wrote:
(2016-12-16, 05:44 PM)copaceticsmokey Wrote: could some 1 give me an idea on making a small 4q system- 4x5x10, all the ones i've seen r bigger for multiple nodes, i m looking to set up 2 small units fore & aft with just 2 nodes each & the dimensions on my starter ship r constrained.
thanks, smokey66

what are you looking to kill with this system? something this small won't down masses of missiles but it can be built to competently deal with larger missiles, a small CRAM volley, or groups of smaller missiles. They get built slightly different though.

this is my 1st ship i'll put in against DWG, just looking 2 stop a few cram shells fired from long distance, my guns & missiles r set up 2 engage at 3,000m, figure some will hit me w/o LAM, i'll upgrade as i progress 2 larger ship

(2016-12-17, 02:22 AM)copaceticsmokey Wrote:
thanks, smokey66

this is my 1st ship i'll put in against DWG, just looking 2 stop a few cram shells fired from long distance, my guns & missiles r set up 2 engage at 3,000m, figure some will hit me w/o LAM, i'll upgrade as i progress 2 larger ship

3,000m is usually well outside CRAM range. Have you done extensive combat tests with your weapons at that distance?

Anyway. If I was looking to set up a small LAMs system to kill 2-3 crams I would use a 1k-3k (peak power draw, this translates to 10-30 laser pumps) 4Q laser system with 1-4 storage cavities and a few destabilizes. I think the modular one my destroyer uses draws 2k power and has 2 storage cavities(one on each cavity line, system uses 2 cavity lines). you should be able to set up a system capable of sniping 2-3 CRAM shells with this but it will need time to recover between volleys. It will also do fairly well against constant streams of moderate sized missiles since this system usually stabilizes around a few hundred damage per pulse.

if you ship has more energy to spare you can go with a 5 k system using 3-6 storage cavities (the modular ones on my cruiser use either 2 cavity liens with 2 storage cavities each, or 3 lines with 2 each). 2-3 of those will stop a bulwark's fire indefinitely.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2016-12-17, 03:03 AM)Lincrono Wrote:
thanks, smokey66

3,000m is usually well outside CRAM range. Have you done extensive combat tests with your weapons at that distance?

Anyway. If I was looking to set up a small LAMs system to kill 2-3 crams I would use a 1k-3k (peak power draw, this translates to 10-30 laser pumps) 4Q laser system with 1-4 storage cavities and a few destabilizes. I think the modular one my destroyer uses draws 2k power and has 2 storage cavities(one on each cavity line, system uses 2 cavity lines). you should be able to set up a system capable of sniping 2-3 CRAM shells with this but it will need time to recover between volleys. It will also do fairly well against constant streams of moderate sized missiles since this system usually stabilizes around a few hundred damage per pulse.

if you ship has more energy to spare you can go with a 5 k system using 3-6 storage cavities (the modular ones on my cruiser use either 2 cavity liens with 2 storage cavities each, or 3 lines with 2 each). 2-3 of those will stop a bulwark's fire indefinitely.
do you know of a good laser tutorial is, flying blind, just got done working with APS & missiles, not perfect but workable, not to mention having to figure out how to get my ship past 16m/s, got 9 huge props, going to dediblades see if i can go faster with smaller prop target.
i really appreciate the help, thank you, smokey66

(2016-12-17, 05:17 AM)copaceticsmokey Wrote:
(2016-12-17, 03:03 AM)Lincrono Wrote:
thanks, smokey66

do you know of a good laser tutorial is, flying blind, just got done working with APS & missiles, not perfect but workable, not to mention having to figure out how to get my ship past 16m/s, got 9 huge props, going to dediblades see if i can go faster with smaller prop target.
i really appreciate the help, thank you, smokey66

you can either google or do a forum search on 'how to disco' (make sure to put FTDs somewhere in the query) that one is the most comprehensive to my knowledge. I also think the tutorials section has several other smaller more specific ones, including a new one on burst-fire 'laser shotguns' however i don't know of any that are 100% up to date so it's worth asking around for advice on specific systems. There are a couple laser experts floating around who would probably be happy to offer specific tips if you provide them a system to critique, but the not-so-secret secret to a 'better' laser is usually more power, as uninteresting as that sounds.

Regarding you propulsion system. depending on the size of your ship 9 huge props is quite a small number. most large ships use double-digit numbers and a fair number combine huge props+huge jets (sometimes with hydrofoils) to get decent water-bound speeds. For example, my larger ships have one or more 'trenches' cut into the bottom with jets in them (every 8 meters or they are less effective). that usually accounts for 10-20 alone depending on the size of the ship. then there could be anywhere from 10-20 more in the rear propulsion bank. It's a bit of a joke among the community because huge props don't take that much power (75 if I remember) lots of people wish we had some way to connect them to the engines so we didn't need dozens, it's even part of a few mods.

The other thing relating to speed is to reduce the drag - make use of the shift-P modes in build mode, one will give you a drag profile. I think there's a table of drag for different blocks in the wiki too. I have 15 large props on a 100m hull to get it to ~31m/s, at some point you do just have to brute force it.

The other thing about LAMS is don't add too many nodes - they fire sequentially, so you need enough stored power for each per pulse.