Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average

How to laser shotgun: this is how you make lasers on small units combat effective!

I've been building lasers for a good while now and I just wanted to share a very peculiar way to build laser systems making even 100 block arrays viable against higher difficulty campaign designs.

I've come to name it "Laser shotgun"; not for the inaccuracy but because of the very high damage it unleashes every time it fires. It uses a 1Q system with storage cavities to allow it to always keep charging but only firing under 10 times a minute. Just remember to set the local weapon controller firing the combiner to 0.10 "rounds" a minute.

Here are the stats of said laser system for you to be able to replicate it on your units. I used the most block efficient method of building a laser of this kind, that is having 4 pumps for each cavity and using 3x3 storage cavities.

This is the ratio you have to respect in order to get the "laser shotgun" with a reload time of 10 seconds

Number of storage cavities: X

Number of cavities: X*5

Number of laser pumps: X*20

Number of destabilizers for every cavity of the laser system: 5

If you want the laser shotgun to charge more than 10 seconds after each shot remember to do some math and calculate how many more storage cavities you will need to add to avoid times where the laser stops charging without adding any more laser pumps.

using such a system, you will get to deal 335 damage for each laser pump in your multipurpose laser every 10 seconds, you could potentially build a laser system able to punch thru two layers of Heavy Armor but fitting on a 300 block unit nevertheless.

I hope this explaination of the "laser shotgun" is exhaustive and that I managed to showcase the very high potential it has. For every question and uncertainty make sure to comment down here and I'll make sure to anwer and clarify. Have Fun with the thing, yes because I am also giving you a very basic laser shotgun: it's quite litterally a small floating mass of engines that points at the enemy and fires a 400 laser pump laser system every 10 seconds. It has 6 combiners to spread the damage a bit and never overpenetrate, but you could totally reduce the number of combiners to just make it able to potentially ammorack every vehicle it fights against.

P.S. I am building an SD vehicle with a 1000 pump WA assisted laser shotgun as main weaponry that will only fire 4 times a minute but will basically punch a hole thru anything you throw at it. Sweet dreams Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   How to laser shotgun.blueprint (Size: 93.02 KB / Downloads: 289)
I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress" -Frederick Douglass

(2017-01-23, 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote: I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc

You're mean. You know that? You're mean.
I should have stopped lurking the forum and go to bed 3mn earlier, now I will dream at that monster and how to defeat it!

(2016-11-13, 10:38 PM)Gladyon Wrote: You're mean. You know that? You're mean.
I should have stopped lurking the forum and go to bed 3mn earlier, now I will dream at that monster and how to defeat it!

It will be Meteor-sized but will fly at around 490 meters of altitude at a speed of over 100 m/s, the high altutude won't make it have more drag than an Omeganightmare...hopefully.

The weaponry of the unit is going to only be lasers, but It will have three different laser systems for different roles

1) The main offensive laser system: 1000 laser pumps, laser shotgun firing once every 15 seconds to kill/heavily cripple anything it fires at in A Singular Strike

2)The secondary offensive/defensive laser system: 500 laser pumps, standard 4Q laser system that will serve as AA but also shut down and dedicate itself to being LAMS if missiles get near the unit

3) The purely defensive laser system : 500 laser pumps, 0Q, destabs and storage cavities for it to be able to shoot down most of the ordinance from burst fire ACCs and missile batteries. I haven't decided if it's ganna stay continuous or if I'm going to usea more orthodox 4Q.

As for defence I'll try using a 3 shield layer system since at that speed a second low intensity reflect layer would be close to useless and because I still want two laser absoprtion shield layers. I'll also try to give it at least one layer of heavy armor behind metal everywhere but I will have to see if the unit can handle its weight.

When it comes to the lift system, I think I will have to cover the underside with huge ion thrusters but also use a custom jet engine to push it over 400 meters but not over 500 nevertheless.

The turning system will be Tricky: the craft will be mostly develped along the Y axis so it will not be wide. I will probably have to resort to a variable thruster turning system with two custom jet engines, but I don't know how viable that will be at 490 meters.

That's all I can think about this new unit of mine. It will have rapid assault aesthetics and will be best described as a tribute to the old Darkstar, the true DEATH BY LASER

[Image: 159D723DA5E0959FED34384D9C65B8120E454C47]

[Image: C7F9B6FB08D214A9D938EF4ED698DFE8C3E87A06]

I loved that thing so much I put a week into it to bring the block count down to 15400 blocks, but I guess the faction changes of SD killed it when I was on the one year hiatus.

ç_ç

As for how to kill the future unit... it will depend on how many shield projectors and armor I'll be able to fit it with until it can't fly Tongue

I will probably not be able to fit it with a second shield layer and not go over 2 layers of heavy armor even in the most vulnerable spots; so I guess that high speed Inertial frag or HE will be its weakness, but you'll hopefully need a lot of it.
I do not apply murder to the vehicle, the murder has the vehicle built around it! -ARCAGNELL0

(2017-01-23, 04:32 PM)Shade Wrote: I think you can basically stack infinite shields in an arc

I too miss the old Darkstar (the new is good and all, but I loved how the old one looked).

I was planning to build a laser ship, and now I will probably use a shotgun instead of 4Q

(2016-11-13, 11:06 PM)Conn Seanery Wrote: I too miss the old Darkstar (the new is good and all, but I loved how the old one looked).

I was planning to build a laser ship, and now I will probably use a shotgun instead of 4Q

I'm glad to have converted you to the dark side of the laser pump!

Fantastic idea, thanks for sharing!

Now, is this more or less effective then 4Q if you use all 1500 blocks available to a laser system? Or should I just have two 1500 block laser systems? Questions, questions.

(2016-11-14, 06:59 AM)ShaadowMaaster Wrote: Now, is this more or less effective then 4Q if you use all 1500 blocks available to a laser system? Or should I just have two 1500 block laser systems? Questions, questions.

This system has less damage per minute than a standard 4Q laser system but hits a lot where it hits and that usually is what very small units using lasers usually require: To do damage and reach internals and not harmlessly shaving off blocks from the outside.

So, anwering your question, I think it stands on equal ground when compared to 4Q. This system basically can only be used offensively and you require to have very good detection and accuracy to make every shot count; while 4Q is the best LAMS to shoot down shells with and can have a lot of different roles.

That said: When fighting against laser shielded units it's best do do important damage every shot instead of spamming laser goodness all over the place. So if you're planning on having multiple laser systems and you are going to fight big protected units like the Steel Strider battleships then yes. Ammoracking them in the first shot and coring them in the second is awesome and is something you totally should go for, nit to mention you could probably even manually aim the laser and pick off enemy turrets with ease Big Grin

(2016-11-14, 05:32 AM)T3hJimmer Wrote: Fantastic idea, thanks for sharing!

My pleasure!

(2016-11-14, 10:54 AM)ARCAGNELL0 Wrote: nit to mention you could probably even manually aim the laser and pick off enemy turrets with ease Big Grin

You're really mean... but I've beaten you on that one.
I made a mod that allows to configure the AimPoint card and to target specific types of blocks, and it now comes with a configurable timer before changing the targeted block (of course, it will change sooner if the block is destroyed).

I tried my battlecruiser with its main turrets aiming for the target weapons, and it decapitate the turrets of the Thyr without blowing them up.
Very neat.
Unfortunately, sometime a loose shell will detonate the turrets...

I can only imagine how efficient it would be with a heavy sniper laser.