Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 26 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average

What I'm working on now

Information 
Hey guys,

In order to keep you updated on whats going on I've made this thread where I'll basically just describe little features I'm working on as I work on them.

So to start with I've been working on AI characters that belong to one of 9 teams (one of which being your team) and they automatically appoint a commander per vehicle who gives orders to his 'crew'. Still in the early stages but they can navigate the vehicles nicely and set about various tasks. The commander can control the vehicle as long as he has crew in all the right places (he also counts as a crew member so for a small vehicle he controls it himself). If you have two teams on one vehicle they will have one commander each and will fight it out for control of the vehicle. This is the main aspect for development over the next couple of days.

I've also added 'volumetric' (in appearance only) (currently) and customisable explosions which look lovely, and nice muzzle flashes for all the weapons. I plan to make explosions which 'surge' around the ship until they become contained at which point they will 'break out' through the weakest surface. That's a bit in the future though- no need to delay the pre-alpha for that!

I've also added 'pooling' to all of the main types of object and effects in the game so rather than creating and destroying bullets or cannon balls they are all handled in a pool and simple enabled and disabled (being constantly re-used). This is also the case for sound effects, explosions, splashes, debris, etc. This improves performance and will make the multiplayer much easier to handle.

I'm currently just writing a little GUI (whilst I wait for my indian to arrive!) that will show the release notes and any bugs, as well as giving an idea (for every release) of what the next release should contain.

I've also added music to the game which will play intro music to very main event and game type, as well as signifying level ups. It plays through the loading scenes and fades one song out whilst fading another in. I have some lovely music in there and am open to suggestions!

Tomorrow is Christmas shopping day but expect some more updates soon Smile

Hope this helps to tide you over until the release!
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Lamb Nick, why did you have to post this?! Now i can't wait anymore Wink.
Well it is good to hear you are still developing the game. If it actuly becomes as I imagine then it would be the 4th game where i will spend over 100h of playing the game Big Grin.
There is no reason in being a adult if you can't be childish -Nerdcubed

Crew, huh? So how do they look like? Are they even represented ingame or are they abstract? Will I decide where the crew works or is that done automatically (e.g. every three generator blocks is one crew member)? Could you do a video about this? (short, ofc, so it won´t delay the alpha Big Grin)
The sword that smites evil.

The crew are robots such as yourself - the final character models are still to be finished off. You'll be able to tell them which vehicle to go to but their commander will tell them what to do once they are on board (each vehicle with crew on it will assign a commander from among the crew). If they are on your ship and you are the commander they will just man guns, repair stuff, fight off other 'boarders' etc. More tasks will be added as time goes on and so will a higher levels of control over your commanders and your crew. I'm not yet sure how you'll 'make' crew. Perhaps placing bunkbeds or something like that eventually... but for now probably something simpler. In the first release of the game it'll probably be more about fighting enemy crew than controlling your own, but we'll see how far I get.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

I'm pretty excited about the npcs and how they will play Smile
hope they are kinda smart Big Grin
Can we play multiplayer in the pre-alpha?

I hope to get a multiplayer update out by the 13th January Smile

Sounds good Smile

Is ftd releasing between christmas and newyear? Because ut would be a great newyear gift Big Grin
There is no reason in being a adult if you can't be childish -Nerdcubed

haha yeah that's the aim but if not before new year then certainly within a few days of it. Managed to get back to programming again last night so added a few more features and tweaks :

Collision damage. This is quite a big one! Collisions with the land or other vehicles will cause a wave of damage throughout both structures. This is quite fun because it will respect 'air gaps' so if you have two layers of hull separated by a gap then the force will not make it from the outside to the inside (unless it gets into the connecting beams). Early tests of this feature saw my plane loose a wing on a hillside, smash nose first into the ground killing me (as I was sat in the front) and blowing up most of the engine. The plane then scraped it's belly off on the hillside and then flew upwards, spun round (because it only had one wing) and smashed head first into another island blowing up the ammo barrel and shredding what was left of the plane. This made me quite happy!

The second change was something quite far under the belly of the game which makes aeroplanes more controllable. Because the game only allows placement of blocks in one meter intervals it is very difficult to place a jet engine *directly* behind the center of mass. I've added some code that will treat anything that is within one meter of being behind the center of mass as being directly behind the center of mass. This means that the jet pushes directly forwards rather than constantly pushing the nose of the plane upwards/ downwards / left / right.

Are there any blocks specialized for ramming? I mean are you able to build build ships that can just bash through other ones?

I realy cant wait for the game, now that i know its nearly ready for pre-alpha Smile