Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Laser building checklist

Seriously now.
Checked out depth_dweller's Tachyon replacement with a "proper godly laser", that thing uses 2 pumps / cavity and 11 DESTABS/LINE for 4 combiners, 37 AP.
Managed to squeeze out ~45K dps from 2.2M RP.
Holy spaghetti is that thing bad.

A good system I use is IIRC 4q, 7 lines, 2 destabs per line, 4 cavities per line, 4 pumps per cavity, plus a bunch of frequency doublers wherever. It's about the smallest seriously effective LAMS system you can have, and combining it with some laser turrets whose AI turns off when enemy missiles are within 500m gives it a fantastic dual functionality.

(2016-05-02, 11:57 PM)draba Wrote: Seriously now.
Checked out depth_dweller's Tachyon replacement with a "proper godly laser", that thing uses 2 pumps / cavity and 11 DESTABS/LINE for 4 combiners, 37 AP.

It was buit using a completely different approach, because the whole LH refit was one big learning/research process, and the only thing "bad" about it is a bit more cavities than needed.
It's not even strictly bad since that fact has two tangible benefits.
But must be bad if you say so. I'm so sorry. Proceeding to delete FTD.

(2016-05-03, 12:13 AM)depth_dweller Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 11:57 PM)draba Wrote: Seriously now.

It was buit using a completely different approach, because the whole LH refit was one big learning/research process, and the only thing "bad" about it is a bit more cavities than needed.
It's not even strictly bad since that fact has two tangible benefits.
But must be bad if you say so. I'm so sorry. Proceeding to delete FTD.

Just don't friggin criticize a valid guide if you have absolutely no clue what you are doing. Especially not the way you did.
I originally posted the tips for your ship without malice, half the changes to my things come from suggestions from others(got the malice part in buckets now).

Lasers won't magically conjure damage from thin air if you add destabs, damage always comes from pumps/power drain.
2(maybe 3, won't check) destab/line is literally the friggin same with 4 combiners, the very first hit does slightly more damage then it's ~100K and space thrown out.
Won't even go into the rest, this one should've been obvious but still too hard for you.

Just to make sure you understand: not different, bad.

My only mistake was to try and help you with understanding.

Thanks for confirming that for me.

I will not engage in such a worthless waste of time of an activity again.

(2016-05-03, 06:27 AM)depth_dweller Wrote: My only mistake was to try and help you with understanding.

Again, not a solitary number or reason.
Duck your useless kind.

(2016-05-03, 06:33 AM)draba Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 06:27 AM)depth_dweller Wrote: My only mistake was to try and help you with understanding.

Again, not a solitary number or reason.
Duck your useless kind.

OI!

You say something like THAT again, and you are getting the boot!
[Image: BseTIqf.png?1]

Since I can't just delete my registration I'd like to reiterate:

Muddying up a guide meant to help newbies and posting vague,
unfalsifiable bullshit just so you don't have to admit you're wrong is a really shitty thing by a really shitty person.

Almost as bad are me losing my cool over some random internet stranger
and Anister instantly threatening with a ban despite tolerating Ion fucking up threads for an eternity.

A lot of hostility in here...

Moving on:

What about using two chargers per cavity and 3 triangle-things per connector? It allows you to stack your laser charging thing in a really nice 3x?x? rectangle.

Also: I found the following image on 4chan...How accurate would you say it is?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2016-05-05, 08:37 PM)strungest Wrote: A lot of hostility in here...

Moving on:

What about using two chargers per cavity and 3 triangle-things per connector? It allows you to stack your laser charging thing in a really nice 3x?x? rectangle.

Also: I found the following image on 4chan...How accurate would you say it is?

Nvm cooled down a bit, let's see.

I don't think using anything but 4Q is ever practical, lasers are already weak/power hungry so getting the max damage/power is important.
Some exceptions: you could try a cheapish 1Q with ~10K dps for sniping internals before smoke comes up, maybe an overpowered continuous for stripping lams nodes/whatever else is on the surface. IMO they aren't useful.

I think the image is very nice, range and recharge rate are ofc outdated.
Some nitpicks:
- I don't want to fully recharge between shots. Going very slightly over the recharge rate you get 100% pump utilization, shots made below 100% use less energy so levels balance out a bit below max(doing more damage overall).
- they use way too many words and graphs for a single concept, DPS = number of pumps x 100 Smile
- the same for combiners, 4Q average damage/shot = DPS/8/number of combiners. There'll be some variance between outputs(bigger with more destabs/endpoints), that's important for LAMS but not that much for offensive lasers.
- I don't understand the "more damage results from fewer, larger cavities" part, DPS is the same for 5x10 and 1x50 cavities.
They obviously know that based on what they wrote, I'm guessing it has to do with block efficiency(smaller destab/coupler overhead).