Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Changing Tides - Archived pre-subforum thread

(2016-06-14, 05:38 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: This is the latest devtest. Not in stable yet (thankfully) and it definitely will be adjusted before reaching stable.

Ok, good.

(2016-06-14, 05:38 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: Believe me, it's a bad thing. I did some testing with a crappy LAMS system I threw together (results are in the 1.9557 thread if you feel the need to look at several lines of everything that isn't a spamcannon getting made useless), and LAMS is way too effective at shutting down CRAMs entirely. Worse yet, it also shreds 500mm APS, which is the next best thing for slow-firing battleship guns. Needless to say, I'm miffed because unless it gets changed the only reliable way to deal damage with cannons is spamcannons, which I loathe.

Well that's not good. If it was just a crappy one that means that my Frigates are completely immune to CRAM and APS damage then (if they were to just release it without fixing it)... I'm slightly ok with this lol (it in a ways sounds fun, but it would completely break the game).

(2016-06-14, 05:38 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: No explanation can be found. Repair tentacles have been a little wonky in my experience (sometimes refusing to repair ever again if a repair bot finishes a turret attachment point they were repairing).

Yea I'm starting to realize that they're great in fleets but also annoying >.< (the worst one I've had is that it repaired a ship that was being rammed by one of my own, and it repaired a part that was inside the other........in the ammo room.......upside I learned that my old ships are surprisingly tough (they have 1 thick armor on the outside and somehow did better versus the White Flayers than my 3 thick armor policy now.......) downside? It was in the campaign.....and the ship that blew up cost 350,000 metal....... and split in two))

(2016-06-14, 05:38 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: I've had a look at it, and identified some things that could improve it:
  • Balloon looks pretty nice. Could pretty much stay the same.
  • Beaming. This vehicle seems to suffer from blockcount inflation.
  • Replacing the frag & hardener pellets with HE pellets will be a good idea. The Wreckers don't have very sophisticated weapons and rely on blunt trauma.
  • Add a few more gauge increasers and remove the packing time limitation. Again, the Wreckers aren't very sophisticated and generally suboptimal.
  • Add an "explode below" fuse and laser targeter to the CRAM so it can function as an anti-sub depth charge gun. Trust me, it'll be great.
  • Could probably use some sort of secondary weapon system. Maybe something like the Coffin Nail or Casket Bolt has would do well, since they're fairly similar in shape. As it stands, it has no firepower outside its bombing range and is massively vulnerable because of this.
  • Replacing the second layer of wood armour with metal (inside or outside, whichever looks better) would probably be a good idea.
  • AI - it's within 3 blocks of the ammo store. Anything within 3 blocks of an ammo barrel will get damaged when it blows, so move it upward a little. Also the tracker target ID card doesn't do anything (to my knowledge). The propulsion balancing card isn't making too much of a difference either. Still, it's well insulated from EMP, so that's good.

Also here's a pic of it fighting a TG Trilobite sub with the gauge and fuse modifications. Yes, it's flying. Apparently the Twin Guard make flying submarines.
  • Thank you, that's pretty much the one thing about it I like the most lol
  • Yea, I forgot to beamify it. Sorry about that!
  • K, I can do that. Besides EXPLOSIONS!!!!
  • K, I was just worried since I didn't want to make a massive CRAM that devastated the enemy (but saying this it's gonna be HE so)
  • I thought I did add a Laser targeter to it, oh well I'll do that when I get back on
  • Yea, I didn't think of doing it like the Coffin nail or Casket bolt though..... This is gonna be fun!
  • I'll do it inside since I still want it to look like it was put together from scraps.
  • Ah, I always wondered what the magical death number was! I'll raise the AI two then, I didn't know that......huh. Yea Propulsion balancing was there for it's......previous...iteration. It looked amazing (had a bridge that was extended outward at the top and a few other things) but once the accelerator was hit it would just do circles(....entertaining but it's suppose to fight the enemy, not make them laugh to death (still a good strategy though)) so I put that on in hopes that it would stop that...and it did but turning would make it nose dive into the ocean. So I removed the comfy bridge and all the other good aesthetics and went with the matchstick design.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.....I might need to make a flying submarine now, they will never expect it! (I would absolutely love to see the face of an attacking force that is facing a submarine that not only can remain at the bottom of the ocean, but also fly!)
"If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun"

"If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Changing Tides - WIP custom campaign - by Gaurdian23 - 2016-06-14, 07:08 PM