Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Changing Tides - Archived pre-subforum thread

(2016-05-20, 05:40 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: K, rams I can do. Her front ironically is almost optimized for them Smile. Also her speed as of yet is unknown (since I was gonna work on her and put the particle cannons on but in the middle of testing them Windows 10 threw an error code my way and forced a shutdown Angry), a ramming card would make ramming soo much easier lol.

Hopefully once we get ramming cards we'll see less sabot-sniping from the Flayers and more cool melee ships.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: Alright, impact it is (plus in my testing EMP is nice and can do a bunch of damage to AI components, but it just doesn't have the same appeal as ripping a ship apart >: ) (again, I need a devious face....) it just seems more fitting that way as well).

Yeah, EMP is very, very effective against AI components, and before particle cannons I would be sort-of OK with its use in this campaign... the sheer amount of EMP a particle cannon can throw at a target in a single burst makes surge protectors melt with little effect.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: Hmmmm, your giving me ideas.......the only problem is that last I checked Harpoons really don't work well on larger objects, saying that though there is a way to restrict what size those harpoons would attack. I'll have to think about how I'm gonna implement that.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the harpoons will mostly be for use against air targets and small fast things that can outrun the lumbering drill-wielding battleship bearing down on it. You can set the maximum size of vehicle a weapon targets in the local weapon controller menu, as well as maximum and minimum altitude to attack at... There's useful stuff there.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: You want Disco beams of Death, I can give you Disco Beams of Death >: ) (...)! Saying this, it'll be my first experiment with them so that'll be fun lol.

Nice. I'm similarly new to lasers (never really liked them due to their silly amount of engine drain and not being crams), but from what I've done so far it seems that 4 Q-switch lasers are more energy efficient than those with few Q-switches. Continuous lasers... I'm not really sure how effective they are.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: Also I'm thinking about adding 2 90mm Gatling cannons for those pesky fighters, so I'll give the Sabots to them and maybe give the 250mm cannons......HESH? I do have a good design of HESH for that size so I'll go ahead and play around and see what I think will fit most.

Ah. If you're making 90mm miniguns, shells with a single explosive component and composite head will probably be preferable (add in a solid head after the head if more AP is needed). I'm going to try and keep sabots restricted to 54mm and below for most factions.
As for the 250mm cannons... these should really be at a minimum, lasers and ramming are the main weapons of the Lance. HESH is fine, though.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: LAM's is my specialty (more so missiles, but they're a very close second), so I'll throw a *ahem* decent one on (and by decent I mean it's gonna be fun for any missile based ships >: ) (not gonna bother saying it lol)). Well currently all she has is a hull, bunch of fuel and ammo, an ammo production array and something along the lines of a 12,000 power engine(s) so power isn't gonna be too much of an issue, especially since I'm planning on adding another Hotrod engine from IreLAN.

Can't wait to see how that turns out. How effective are we talking? Which missile ships does it make a mockery of?
I may have a crack at making CIWS guns for the Lance or some other faction, because as you may have guessed I really like cannons.

Gaurdian23 Wrote: I'll try my best at adding shields, just a warning though they'll most likely be at a strength 5 or 7 since while I do have more than enough engine power, I want to keep some extra just for some future modifications.

5 or 7 is fine. I don't think I've ever used shields above 4 in designs I've used in campaign to be honest, because again, I like to have my campaign ships reasonably efficient. As long as it's stronger shielding at the ramming end, everything's good.

On a side note, I'd like you to have a bit of a look at this fighter I've built for the Iron Devotion, the first faction you fight - its missiles are a bit lacking, could you possibly give them a bit of an upgrade for taking on fast or erratic targets (keep them using IR seekers or single pixel seekers)?

Attached Files
.blueprint   Benevolence.blueprint (Size: 39.6 KB / Downloads: 11)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Changing Tides - WIP custom campaign - by StahlSentinel - 2016-05-20, 07:09 PM