Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Changing Tides - Archived pre-subforum thread

(2016-05-16, 07:11 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote:
(2016-05-16, 06:05 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: Okay, I've had a look at them now.

The revamped Corsair - Much better now, although still very unusual by OWC standards. The odd heliblade is fine, and I'm alright with it having the current number of repair bots instead of shields due to its focus on repair and construction. Corsair may not be the most fitting name for it though, but it's certainly OWC enough to make it.

The sea python drone (air python?) - This thing is ridiculous. I like it very much for its silliness and as such it fits the ramshackle nature of the Reefback Wreckers to a T. May integrate (with some modifications) as the Flying Fish, if I can.

The Transcend - This one's a bit of an enigma to me. Style-wise, it's closer to what I have planned for the Venom Lance (who will be using conventional-looking battleships with laser armaments and ramming tactics), but has the misfortune to be built of wood. It doesn't really fit with any of the factions I'm afraid, though the use of teleport pads to get around the ship is something I ought to use for the larger OWC builds.

Thank you, you can change the name if you like. I was honestly thinking of renaming her the Purifying mother (since she spawns in her little drones).

Lol, yea I didn't intend to make the Seapython (btw I like the name Airpython, fit's more than what I was gonna rename it to) that way! It just suddenly took off and I couldn't help but continue working on it.

Thanks to that tool I can real quick make her out of metal beams if you like, the only reason she currently is made out of mostly wood is due to my metal shortage in my campaign Undecided (have defeated the entire DWG for the second time and for some reason this time I'm completely out of metal, meanwhile before I had so much metal I didn't know what to do with it).

Also the secret project has gone by the wayside temporarily, I lack the required skill in engines to make her......effective. SO I'm either gonna download the IreLan engines and make do, or experiment with engines and see what I come up with.

I've come to a decision regarding the Transcend - with its rather tacked-on seeming hydrofoil system it actually fits with the Reefback Wreckers rather well due to its oddball nature (The general theme of the Wreckers being that they make their ships out of shipwrecks and stolen vehicles as well). That, and the Wreckers could probably benefit from a carrier since their armada is a little lacking.

For engines, you can certainly use the IreLAN engines, although there are other options. Most notably, there's KuramaFox's unified engine raft (which I heavily rely on, there are some really good engines there), though it does briefly cause your frames to drop when spawned in - if you're looking for high-power engines that don't use the travesty of injectors, the Unified Engine Raft is a good decision.

I probably should have said earlier, but ideally when designing for the OWC you should be using one layer of either alloy or metal, with two layers for ammo storage, and covering the entire craft in a shield bubble. LAMS or CIWS are both acceptable - go ham with missile defences if you want to.

I am having second thoughts about the Air Python or FLying Fish though. The Sea Python has about the weakest gun outside the simple weapons tab, and the Air Python is still very visibly similar to its DWG ancestry. Considering that the sea drone I already have is very loosely based on the Sea Python, I'm a little uncomfortable with using anything too close to Neter campaign vehicles.

The Corsair (I'll be giving it a different name to fit the OWC better though) is one or two tweaks away from being pretty much perfect. I can handle those tweaks myself, so consider it part of the OWC fleet now. (On a side note, I may do some experimenting with aesthetics on it, since the OWC aren't set in stone quite yet)

Just a warning about the Corsair, somewhere along the lines her weapon systems stopped working. I've made an imperfect fix for the missiles but the torps as of currently are dead. I've actually made a post asking about it so hopefully they should be fixed soon (and she'll be steaming along again, happily engaging targets from a distance). Sweet, can't wait to see her in the fleet!

Alright, glad that'll get some use haha.

I haven't heard of KuramaFox's before, I'll be checking it out a little later on today (since I've literally been on FTD since I woke up trying to figure out what happened to the Corsair and reworking the Air and Sea Python)

Alright, sounds easy enough (saying this though I have a weird tick about shields, don't know why I won't use them but I don't Undecided ). Haha, you asked for it then. Since missiles are my specialty I know how to counter them, fairly well Smile)

Yea, I've begun remaking her and so far her pontoons have been traded out for level wings (of course keeping my Shadow SRBM's) and I'm debating on either replacing her main gun with either A: a 50-90mm Gatling gun firing Squash Head rounds, or B: MOAR MISSILES!!!

Attached Files
.blueprint   Corsair Class Drone Hydroship.blueprint (Size: 72.11 KB / Downloads: 32)
"If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun"

"If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win."

(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Just a warning about the Corsair, somewhere along the lines her weapon systems stopped working. I've made an imperfect fix for the missiles but the torps as of currently are dead. I've actually made a post asking about it so hopefully they should be fixed soon (and she'll be steaming along again, happily engaging targets from a distance). Sweet, can't wait to see her in the fleet!

If you manage to fix this, let me know. I'll probably have a look-see at the torps myself in a little, see what the issue is.

(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Alright, sounds easy enough (saying this though I have a weird tick about shields, don't know why I won't use them but I don't Undecided ). Haha, you asked for it then. Since missiles are my specialty I know how to counter them, fairly well Smile)

Yeah, you're not alone in disliking shields, they're perhaps a little too effective in their current state.

(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Yea, I've begun remaking her and so far her pontoons have been traded out for level wings (of course keeping my Shadow SRBM's) and I'm debating on either replacing her main gun with either A: a 50-90mm Gatling gun firing Squash Head rounds, or B: MOAR MISSILES!!!

I assume you're talking about the Transcend here? Quite frankly, unless its advanced cannons turn out to be god-tier sabot factories to put the White Flayers to shame, I'm fine with it as it is. The Reefback Wreckers are hardly endgame material by any stretch of the imagination (they lose to the Corensian Monarchy quite badly), and shouldn't be overly reliant on hydrofoils. I'll probably apply a couple of tweaks to make it look more Wrecker-y before integration (and change the subspawns to something else), but like the Corsair, it's pretty much accepted at this point.

In the likely event that you're actually talking about your Secret Doomsday Project, "MOAR MISSILES! MOOOAAAR!!" is undoubtedly the OWC answer for armaments. (If stuck on naming conventions, the OWC will be using either blade-based names, surgical names or combinations of both)

(2016-05-17, 07:11 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote:
(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Just a warning about the Corsair, somewhere along the lines her weapon systems stopped working. I've made an imperfect fix for the missiles but the torps as of currently are dead. I've actually made a post asking about it so hopefully they should be fixed soon (and she'll be steaming along again, happily engaging targets from a distance). Sweet, can't wait to see her in the fleet!

If you manage to fix this, let me know. I'll probably have a look-see at the torps myself in a little, see what the issue is.

(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Alright, sounds easy enough (saying this though I have a weird tick about shields, don't know why I won't use them but I don't Undecided ). Haha, you asked for it then. Since missiles are my specialty I know how to counter them, fairly well Smile)

Yeah, you're not alone in disliking shields, they're perhaps a little too effective in their current state.

(2016-05-16, 11:41 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Yea, I've begun remaking her and so far her pontoons have been traded out for level wings (of course keeping my Shadow SRBM's) and I'm debating on either replacing her main gun with either A: a 50-90mm Gatling gun firing Squash Head rounds, or B: MOAR MISSILES!!!

I assume you're talking about the Transcend here? Quite frankly, unless its advanced cannons turn out to be god-tier sabot factories to put the White Flayers to shame, I'm fine with it as it is. The Reefback Wreckers are hardly endgame material by any stretch of the imagination (they lose to the Corensian Monarchy quite badly), and shouldn't be overly reliant on hydrofoils. I'll probably apply a couple of tweaks to make it look more Wrecker-y before integration (and change the subspawns to something else), but like the Corsair, it's pretty much accepted at this point.

In the likely event that you're actually talking about your Secret Doomsday Project, "MOAR MISSILES! MOOOAAAR!!" is undoubtedly the OWC answer for armaments. (If stuck on naming conventions, the OWC will be using either blade-based names, surgical names or combinations of both)

I was actually talking about the Airpython, but I'll more that gladly add MOAR missiles to the [REDACTED, INVALID CLEARANCE]. After all, she is meant to cleanse.....

No need to remind me about the White Flayers and their OPness, I still have PTSD over what they did to my beloved Armada Sad. Saying that though, this Secret Project WILL be my revenge against the White Flayers and their Treachery. As well as be the OWC's new Capital ship killing toy >: ) (I need a devious face DANG IT).

(2016-05-17, 09:16 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: I was actually talking about the Airpython, but I'll more that gladly add MOAR missiles to the [REDACTED, INVALID CLEARANCE]. After all, she is meant to cleanse.....

No need to remind me about the White Flayers and their OPness, I still have PTSD over what they did to my beloved Armada Sad. Saying that though, this Secret Project WILL be my revenge against the White Flayers and their Treachery. As well as be the OWC's new Capital ship killing toy >: ) (I need a devious face DANG IT).

I think everyone has bad memories of the White Flayers. I had to re-evaluate my entire design strategy to deal with them, and was at a disadvantage the entire time due to attacking them directly after destroying the Deepwater Guard. Thankfully I've never encountered a Perforator yet, though I dread the day it happens. Sabot factories will end up in this campaign, I'm afraid, but not at WF levels if I can help it (Not dramatic enough, not enough explosions or laser beams). Try to keep its volume around 9000 metres cubed at the max, I'm trying to keep sizes reasonable for the sake of the frames (even with the Corensian Monarchy, though they have a higher volume cap to accommodate their galleons).

But definitely at WF levels for anti-shoebox weaponry. Never encountered a shoebox, but I have heard stories and I'm not gonna take chances with them.

On the subject of the Air-Python, going over the general shape of it a little to make it more aerodynamic and less like a Sea Python would be appreciated. Probably best to outfit it with a machine-gun, though if that won't fit use missiles. The only weapons the Reefback Wreckers can't use are railguns.

(2016-05-17, 10:02 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote:
(2016-05-17, 09:16 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: I was actually talking about the Airpython, but I'll more that gladly add MOAR missiles to the [REDACTED, INVALID CLEARANCE]. After all, she is meant to cleanse.....

I think everyone has bad memories of the White Flayers. I had to re-evaluate my entire design strategy to deal with them, and was at a disadvantage the entire time due to attacking them directly after destroying the Deepwater Guard. Thankfully I've never encountered a Perforator yet, though I dread the day it happens. Sabot factories will end up in this campaign, I'm afraid, but not at WF levels if I can help it (Not dramatic enough, not enough explosions or laser beams). Try to keep its volume around 9000 metres cubed at the max, I'm trying to keep sizes reasonable for the sake of the frames (even with the Corensian Monarchy, though they have a higher volume cap to accommodate their galleons).

But definitely at WF levels for anti-shoebox weaponry. Never encountered a shoebox, but I have heard stories and I'm not gonna take chances with them.

On the subject of the Air-Python, going over the general shape of it a little to make it more aerodynamic and less like a Sea Python would be appreciated. Probably best to outfit it with a machine-gun, though if that won't fit use missiles. The only weapons the Reefback Wreckers can't use are railguns.

Lol, so I'm not the only one who decided not to attack the Onyx Watch or Lightning Hoods. The funny thing is I only bought this game about 2-3 weeks ago, so I have little experience with the factions (other than the DWG, I like to kinda draw the war with them out so I can get my better ships working), so if you got any tips on fighting the White Flayers I'll gladly take it.

As for the Perforator I believe I have engaged that (though it was in the designer) and come out on top........saying that my main ship had pontoons going into the fight and somewhere along the line lost them, meanwhile my other two ships proceeded to s*** their pants and on accident shoot my main ship in the back.....no I'm not kidding <.<

Ignore all of that I just looked up a pic of the Perforator, that thing IS TERRIFYING
I have no idea what I engaged then........

I'll try to keep the size down, as it stands in her current state she's not all that big. However I'm rethinking her size since she's a little too claustrophobic right now.

K, I'll begin work on her tomorrow (Air-Python). I'm currently on my laptop so I'm not gonna touch FTD until I get on my desktop.

Btw, the problem with the Corsair was fixed. Apparently the Failsafe is the reason >.<. I feel like such an idiot for not thinking of that....

(2016-05-18, 05:06 AM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Btw, the problem with the Corsair was fixed. Apparently the Failsafe is the reason >.<. I feel like such an idiot for not thinking of that....

Ah, don't worry about it. Failsafes behave weirdly with most missile systems. Will integrate the Corsair as the Agar once I've done my tweaking and painting.

Wow. The hybrid injector-carburettor engine you have in there is bizarre.
Don't worry too much about efficiency with the OWC, just overcompensate with fuel tanks.

Alright, most tweaking and painting is done at this point, ready to be integrated as the Agar.

[Image: xZbxjFn.jpg]

Just going to remove some of the repair bots, and possibly put some of the repair tentacles inside. Gave it a retinue of four Decontaminant drones, and it'll be manufacturing tiny Antibiotic drones in combat.

Switched out the odd hybrid engine for an injector engine, will be adding shields in future.