Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Changing Tides - Archived pre-subforum thread

(2016-05-27, 03:31 PM)Hypersycos Wrote: Aight. I meant it would build something like this, and use them like missiles btw, but I think you got that anyway.

How stronk should the carrier be?

I'm planning for the main strength of the OWC to be in helicopters, with thrusterfoils for sea-level support. The carrier should be more resilient than the average OWC design, but be fairly reliant on its drones for damage output. Maybe save the nuke missiles for the heli-fortress-thing (really big helicopter gunship) I've got planned and faction HQ? I don't really want them to be too common.

(2016-05-27, 02:29 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 01:01 PM)Hypersycos Wrote: I kinda had a plan for the factory ship to be armed with 4 ICBMs, is that not allowed then? ;D

Also, because you want OWC ships to disintegrate after armour is breached, should I literally stack the insides with ammo barrels/nukes or smth?

I'd rather not for the factory ship. The OWC isn't really about suicide craft, the Venom Lance and the Collective are more likely to use those.

>: ) Well then I'll be designing those for the Venom Lance and the Collective soon, (after all I have been disappointed by my new "Capital Killer" (who knew it was so hard to design these things.....)). I'll be posting the DL soon, but here's a fair warning and a pic (it's a slightly older one, but it gets the basic point across. Also I will be putting a Disco Beam of Death a little later Tongue and the ramming ability (currently, I'm taking a short reprieve from FTD (You have no idea how pissed off I got when it could barely take on a plunderer, though this last version I made can take one on handily))) :

[Image: Ys0sWA4.jpg]

She's very underwhelming. I was hoping that she could at least go toe to toe with the Treachery, but it appears she has a few faults.
#1. Her shields, while effective, drain almost all of her engine power. So anything else that requires power, has to run off her battery bank (which is fortunately recharged by something like 20 RTG's).
#2. She keeps fricken flipping over and showing her belly to everything!!!!! (Note: this latest version has made it hard to do so but it still can do it)
#3. She's cheap to manufacture meaning if you have more than enough metal (one costs something like 250,000 metal), you can make quite a few and in packs of 3 they can be devastating, however this low cost has the ultimate price of 1 thick armor almost everywhere.
"If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun"

"If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win."

(2016-05-27, 07:58 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: >: ) Well then I'll be designing those for the Venom Lance and the Collective soon, (after all I have been disappointed by my new "Capital Killer" (who knew it was so hard to design these things.....)). I'll be posting the DL soon, but here's a fair warning and a pic (it's a slightly older one, but it gets the basic point across. Also I will be putting a Disco Beam of Death a little later Tongue and the ramming ability (currently, I'm taking a short reprieve from FTD (You have no idea how pissed off I got when it could barely take on a plunderer, though this last version I made can take one on handily))) :

She's very underwhelming. I was hoping that she could at least go toe to toe with the Treachery, but it appears she has a few faults.
#1. Her shields, while effective, drain almost all of her engine power. So anything else that requires power, has to run off her battery bank (which is fortunately recharged by something like 20 RTG's).
#2. She keeps fricken flipping over and showing her belly to everything!!!!! (Note: this latest version has made it hard to do so but it still can do it)
#3. She's cheap to manufacture meaning if you have more than enough metal (one costs something like 250,000 metal), you can make quite a few and in packs of 3 they can be devastating, however this low cost has the ultimate price of 1 thick armor almost everywhere.

#1 - what strength are the shields at? you can probably dial them down a little.
#2 - I'll take a look at it, a ramming craft won't be reversing so an active keel could work well.
#3 - Don't worry about resource cost. AI factions have pockets deeper than the Marianas Trench.

(2016-05-27, 08:07 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 07:58 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: >: ) Well then I'll be designing those for the Venom Lance and the Collective soon, (after all I have been disappointed by my new "Capital Killer" (who knew it was so hard to design these things.....)). I'll be posting the DL soon, but here's a fair warning and a pic (it's a slightly older one, but it gets the basic point across. Also I will be putting a Disco Beam of Death a little later Tongue and the ramming ability (currently, I'm taking a short reprieve from FTD (You have no idea how pissed off I got when it could barely take on a plunderer, though this last version I made can take one on handily))) :

#1 - what strength are the shields at? you can probably dial them down a little.
#2 - I'll take a look at it, a ramming craft won't be reversing so an active keel could work well.
#3 - Don't worry about resource cost. AI factions have pockets deeper than the Marianas Trench.

Most are strength 7 (minus the one at the back, that's 10 since she's gonna be attempting to out range them).
Thanks, generally I put some sort of keel on as well but when I tested it the ship's top speed dropped from 27m/s to 19m/s so I pretty much avoided that.
Yea, I wouldn't normally but this ship was suppose to double as my counter to the White Flayers Treachery.
Something else that I actually just realized, the reason why she's so dang underwhelming is probably because her main weapon. It's a Impact Particle Cannon, so she was engaging way above it's max range (something I'll address on my end).
Here's her BP.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Avante Garde class Capital Killer.blueprint (Size: 394.5 KB / Downloads: 19)

(2016-05-27, 10:07 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Most are strength 7 (minus the one at the back, that's 10 since she's gonna be attempting to out range them).
If this is a Lance ship, you can drop the shields on the rear to 4 or 5, since the front's gonna be facing the ramming victim enemy most of the time anyway. Outranging I think I'll leave to the Collective and their sabot factories.

(2016-05-27, 10:07 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Thanks, generally I put some sort of keel on as well but when I tested it the ship's top speed dropped from 27m/s to 19m/s so I pretty much avoided that.
Yea, I wouldn't normally but this ship was suppose to double as my counter to the White Flayers Treachery.

You'd probably want something larger to counter the Treachery, unless it's a swarm boat. I may never know how I managed to capture a Treachery, but I'd bank on it being due to throwing the entirety of the last fleet I stole into the grinder.

(2016-05-27, 10:07 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Something else that I actually just realized, the reason why she's so dang underwhelming is probably because her main weapon. It's a Impact Particle Cannon, so she was engaging way above it's max range (something I'll address on my end).
Here's her BP.

Nice, I'll have a look tomorrow when I've had some sleep. Particle cannons will certainly be a good choice for the Lance, since they're all about up-close combat.

Bit of an example of OWC helicopter technology - the Sliver.

[Image: E7cWyNA.jpg]

Not finished yet, but works well enough and gives a general idea of what I have in mind - sleek, with main rotors recessed into the hull.

Well, I got a ship for ya. In an attempt to get back into FtD, I decided to build something. At first it was suppose to be something for the Reefback Wreckers, then it was born into this:

[Image: Qd97LxV.jpg]

Say Hello to the Matercula class Hydrofoil Carrier. She's not meant to be in the midst of battle (I actually forgot to throw her in one, but I got a good feeling she wouldn't do well), however she can support a fleet with 8 aircraft, with room for more. She was suppose to ship with some but while they are devastating they have the problem of being too fast for their own missiles (most testing showed that the second salvo would clip through them and blow up on the inside, which isn't exactly ideal) so for now your gonna have to supply your own. Something that actually shocked me was that during testing I let her go running about while I was putting on the "flight deck", and when I looked at her speed she was going 25m/s, so in my usual fashion I thought to myself "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...." and now she goes 49m/s lol.

Attachment added to new post, with an added bonus for the wait.

(2016-05-30, 06:52 AM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Well, I got a ship for ya. In an attempt to get back into FtD, I decided to build something. At first it was suppose to be something for the Reefback Wreckers, then it was born into this:

img snip

Say Hello to the Matercula class Hydrofoil Carrier. She's not meant to be in the midst of battle (I actually forgot to throw her in one, but I got a good feeling she wouldn't do well), however she can support a fleet with 8 aircraft, with room for more. She was suppose to ship with some but while they are devastating they have the problem of being too fast for their own missiles (most testing showed that the second salvo would clip through them and blow up on the inside, which isn't exactly ideal) so for now your gonna have to supply your own. Something that actually shocked me was that during testing I let her go running about while I was putting on the "flight deck", and when I looked at her speed she was going 25m/s, so in my usual fashion I thought to myself "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...." and now she goes 49m/s lol.

Attachment temporarily removed due to it being made of single blocks. Will post attachment a little later when done, and hopefully with a new fighter.

This looks pretty interesting - is it using the same dediblade stabilising system as the Agar? I'll have a look at it when you've got the blueprint sorted out. The Old World Coalition certainly needs something with some advanced cannons to cover their weaknesses a little.

On the subject of the Avant-Garde - I've had a brief look and identified the following issues.
  • Stability. The moment it started to turn it flipped onto its side. This is probably due to the rudder being at the bottom of the vehicle.
  • Made of single blocks. Beaming this one will help a lot.
  • Doesn't really fit the aesthetic I had in mind for the Venom Lance.
  • Main cannon is kind of odd, with a burst-fire firing pattern that I'm not overly fond of.
(On a side note, if you're looking to give the Treachery a beating, inertial-fused pendepth cram shells work pretty well. Pair them up with an EMP particle cannon
for extra effectiveness - the EMP fries the shields, the pendepth crams shred the innards, or the EMP does very little and the crams gradually crush the ship through sledgehammer blows.)

Soooo: i found this thread a day ago and was interested. If the Iron Devotion still needs a HQ i want to ask some questions about it and have a go at it.

- how large in volume should it be ?
- vessel, fortress or structure ?
- if vessel how fast ?

Ill try my best when i have these guidelines , so i dont have to rebuild the Lamb thing.
You can't classify something as "spaghetti"
if you don't have something "non-spaghetti"
to compare it to.

-A kind Ale War

(2016-05-30, 02:00 PM)Meth3ik0n Wrote: Soooo: i found this thread a day ago and was interested. If the Iron Devotion still needs a HQ i want to ask some questions about it and have a go at it.

- how large in volume should it be ?
- vessel, fortress or structure ?
- if vessel how fast ?

Ill try my best when i have these guidelines , so i dont have to rebuild the Lamb thing.

Thanks for showing interest! I'm currently on the fence about whether the Iron Devotion should have a boss ship or a fortress HQ, but I'm currently leaning more toward a fortress. I don't have any particular volume limit in mind, but as long as it's a comparable volume to Davy Jones' Outpost (or other Neter HQs) it should be fine. I'd like the fortress to have a central super-turret looking something like this:

with a main cram turret in the middle (no fuses, exp and frag only - or just use the one from the Atonement, which is attached) and light AA guns around it (pls no sabots). However, if you can come up with something that works better, go right ahead and build that instead - having seen the designs you submitted for use in Neter, one of which (the OW Tortoise) inspired the Chariot design of the Iron Devotion, I'm pretty confident you'll come up with something interesting. I'll probably post a set of build guidelines for each faction (it's about time I got round to it), so keep your eyes open.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Atonement.blueprint (Size: 138.19 KB / Downloads: 19)