Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

INN. Varsenda(CA-1)

Hi, I'm new to these forums, my first post here.
And I'm here to present my latest ship which also happens to be the first ship of mines to use advanced cannons. it's also my first attempt at painting ships. Yes it is indeed proof against it's own guns.
It is an entirely conventional warship. I based it's design on the Baltimore and Mogami class heavy cruisers. i kept it within World war II era technology. Before you guys say guided torpedoes is NOT WW2, Germany had early forms of guided torpedoes late in the war, so there.
The Imperial Neterian Navy's first cruiser, the Varsenda.
The name for the navy is just something I came up with and has no real correlation with anything.

-Class overview-
Name: Varsenda class
Operators: Imperial Neterian Navy
Preceded by: None
Succeeded by: Ikaros
Cost: 1.8 Million RP
In commission: 2015-2016 August 21st
Re-commissioned: Nov 11th 2016-???
Planned: 1
Completed: 1
Active: 1
Retired: 0

-General Characteristics-
Type: Heavy cruiser
Length: 142 meters(overall), 139 meters (waterline)
Beam: 20 meters
Height: 27 meters(mast)
Draft: 6 meters
Freeboard: 2 meters
Propulsion: 2 main fuel engine, 4 Auxiliary fuel engine with 11 screws
Speed: 25.7 knots
Complement: 1 player with vehicle controller and fire control computer or AI with target Prioritization, Naval AI Algorithm, and Patrol card
Sensors and processing equipment:
_2x Surface&Air search radar
_Navigational radar
_2x Smoke dispensers
_2x Flares heat-seeking countermeasures
Armament:
_4x3 8" L/50 Cal ASG-1 Mod 1
_8x2 5" L/55 Cal DP-1 Mod 1
_7x 40mm L/125 Cal AA-1 Mod 1 Gatling-style guns
_4x3 6-block sonar-guided explosive torpedo

-Armor-
Belt: 1m alloy decapping plate, and 3m metal armored belt(Decreases to 1m below the waterline sloped at 45 degrees backed by wood)
Deck: 1m wood bomb deck, and 1m metal armored deck
Upper deck: 1m of Wood or Alloy
Main turrets: 1m of metal
Secondary turrets: 1m of alloy
AA guns: 1m alloy gun shield
Magazine: 2m of metal
Barbette: 1m of metal(Superfiring guns have 1m alloy decapping plate)
Conning tower: 1m of metal, and 1m of wooden splinter protection around bridge spaces
Bulkheads: 1m of wood

Notes:
-The bow and stern is protected mainly by 1 meter of alloy backed by 1 meter of wood.
-The bottom hull around the bow and stern is metal while amidship is wood.
-The area around the armored box is of double hull construction.
-18 water-tight compartment above waterline, 20 including conning towers.
-23 water-tight compartments below the waterline excluding subdivisions between the 2 hulls.

-Design History-
I originally wanted the ship to have five triple turrets, eight twin dual purpose guns and "a lot of 40mm" alongside four quintuple torpedo launchers, depth charge racks and depth charge throwers.
I first made the main guns, the secondary and finally the 40mm. Tested them to check their performance. All of them were satisfactory. To be proof against it's own guns for a balanced armor design, it need 3 meter armor. And so the ship was design as such.
At that time I was still contemplating on if I should make the torpedoes guided. Ultimately, I decided to use an already existing torpedo i had for my campaign ships.
Next I decided that the fifth main gun turret would need to be removed if I were to want a smallest possible ship while maintaining a good forward firing elevation arc for turret #2 as I had planned the layout to look similar to the Mogami.
The torpedo mounts were also reduced in size, they looked too bulky compared to the length of the launcher. So they were reduced to triple launchers due to aesthetic reasons than actual performance considerations. Though as they are hidden inside casemate-esque location similar to the Mogami-class, it is a pretty pointless change.
I also had planned 40mm at the bow and stern but I realized that I couldn't fit them there unless I want to block the main gun's close range arc of fire due to how low it was in the water.
After some other minor modifications and some paint scheme testing, this is how it came out. I have another paint scheme planned for later.

[Image: inn__varsenda_ca_1__measure__1_by_afjklol-d9m3afr.png]
[Image: inn__varsenda_ca_1__measure_1_by_afjklol-d9m3aj4.png]
[Image: inn__varsenda_ca_1__measure1_by_afjklol-d9m3amc.png]

Current camouflage is the standard peace-time paint-scheme, "measure 1"
(I'm using the same nomenclature as USN but scheme is different)
The silhouette from afar makes it look like a battleship IMO, but the dimensions is fairly close if not small for a heavy cruiser, a Baltimore class have 21m beam, 205m length and 34m height. I do have to admit the speed is a bit slow for any cruiser of that era.

Tell me what you guys think. I spent a lot of time on it, as in 3-4 days worth of time. No repair bots has been added to it yet.

Attached Files
.blueprint   CA1VarsendaM1.blueprint (Size: 528.63 KB / Downloads: 50)
[Image: fvn8BOX.gif] [Image: RFSgkaw.gif]

she look not bad but a minor couple of 62.5 sabot shells switch her in "firework mode"

on explosive blowup the next and the next and so on in the end the howl ship is destroyed by around 10-20 62.5mm shell's

(i know my 62.5mm sabot gattling is terrefing anything that's not well shielded or has 3 or more layers metal)

(2015-12-31, 01:23 AM)khkpck Wrote: she look not bad but a minor couple of 62.5 sabot shells switch her in "firework mode"

on explosive blowup the next and the next and so on in the end the howl ship is destroyed by around 10-20 62.5mm shell's

(i know my 62.5mm sabot gattling is terrefing anything that's not well shielded or has 3 or more layers metal)

The main ammo barrels are located deep in the ship behind multiple layers of metal. Magazine is 2 meters, behind 3 meters of belt armor and a 1 meter of alloy decap plate. A 1m space in between each layer as to avoid HESH shells having their explosive force travel through.
Though I do admit that it may be able to resist the first few rounds(as in to going through the belt armor) it will give in eventually especially since there is no repair bots on it yet.

The main guns have their magazine clips located below deck in the barbettes. So they are also under the protection of multiple layers of armor. And as they are self contained, they don't tend to spread over to the other turrets.
From tests, all the turrets only explode within their own confines, except for the 3 turrets amidship that are closely packed.

That is the only weak part that would go fireworks mode is the secondaries but as their ammunition is located in the turrets itself, they tend to only destroy each other and occasionally one of the torpedo mounts.
They don't tend to spread anywhere farther than that. Another thing of note is that, none of the secondaries have anything that is below deck so even if they do explode, no real opening in the armor is created.
It's not the most armored ship out there(not supposed to as it's a heavy cruiser) but I did take that in to consideration.

i test 3 time's i used an 62.5mm gatling with sabot ammumition the angle is very horizontal i gave it 2 more test's

the frist one was not that devastating the secound was

i stop fireing after the first explosion startet

i started research about these "fireworks" i found the plroblem more or less if the full shellracks of ur AA gun blown up they take anything around them(6-7block) with it and the ammo boxes in the tower with the boxes spread it over to the other side

could reduce this problem with chaning the ammo boxes to ammouproduction

and an other layoud of our 127'er stops spreading too i'll keep reseaching if i can improffsomething else Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2015-12-31, 02:15 AM)khkpck Wrote: i test 3 time's i used an 62.5mm gatling with sabot ammumition the angle is very horizontal i gave it 2 more test's

the frist one was not that devastating the secound was

i stop fireing after the first explosion startet

i started research about these "fireworks" i found the plroblem more or less if the full shellracks of ur AA gun blown up they take anything around them(6-7block) with it and the ammo boxes in the tower with the boxes spread it over to the other side

Really? That never happened to me before. I always only see the 3 turrets close together get blown away taking one of the 40mm and torpedo mount with them.
I never seen any one of my dual purpose guns explode through the armored deck to the magazine. In fact those guns are located far off enough to the side that, half the turret is farther off than the main belt, meaning most of the fragments would have to strike pass the upper deck and i not the belt. All that alone should be nearly 7 blocks. But this is just from observing the armor scheme and not actual test against the armor.

I'll have to test some more then.

EDIT: I done some testing by using frag rounds. I concluded it is the rounds itself that are causing the level of damage. I fired at forward non-superfiring wing mounts. It exploded without even penetrating the upper deck, it did however destroy the superfiring mount next to it as it was already damaged as collateral from the frag rounds. But as the barbette of the superfiring turret blocked the fragmentation, the aft gun did not explode, it did get damage pretty badly but was still operational.

Procedures-
*Use a torpedo to explode under the ship in to the magazine to test possible chain reaction without damage the turret mounts.
*Use frag shells to destroy one of the secondaries. fragmentation warhead will minimize collateral damage due to low damage against armor. this allow accurate assessment of the destructiveness of a secondary turret exploding.

My conclusion-
*For the 3 secondaries to explode, they must be shot at the superfiring mount to explode the 2 next to it which ensues in a much.
*None of the secondary turret exploding shown to be powerful enough to go through the upper deck, let alone main armored deck.
*The effect destroy the torpedo mounts is a result of the actual opposing explosive shell damaging/destroying prior. The only chain reaction are the destruction of the 3 wing turrets.
*Your must have over penetrated in to the magazine itself and to the other side. Why? I tested a underwater detonation to set off the magazine which did not cause a chain reaction in exploding the secondaries.

Identified problem-
*My ship's armor can't stop your shell from punching through it lol.

I'll edit again to post the attachments. I don't have screenshots of underwater torpedo test though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i can start this chain reaction with a handgun Tongue

we can meet in an multiplayer (dev 1.885) or i can make a video if u don't belive

i know its realy curious

i have a fixed version i'll link an bp

the rear 40mm AA guns making thes problems in combo with the nearby 127's

the insiede of the 127's looks wierd now Big Grin

Ps.: ops ther is an wood block atacht on the turrets my bad they
reason dont want turn Big Grin(fixed that added new bp)

Attached Files
.blueprint   CA1VarsendaM1nf.blueprint (Size: 521.23 KB / Downloads: 54)

Ah it's fine I checked it out and found why, thanks. To be as simple as mirroring the AA gun.
I'll probably make some more changes myself sooner or later.