Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 17 Vote(s) - 4.59 Average

Nuclear engines- help to design them!

Lightbulb 
Hey guys,

Been trying to spend a bit of time each night thinking about nuclear engines! But I want to know how you think they should work!

Here is my basic idea ( with a limited understanding of how a nuclear engine actually works!)

A central piece (don't know it's name yet)
Water pipes come off it in all directions
The water pipes are coated in uranium blocks
There are control rods in that connect to the uranium blocks
The whole think has to be surrounded in shielding blocks

The reactor basically heats up depending on the number of uranium blocks- the hotter it is the more power it produces

The number of control rods and their connections to the uranium try to keep it cool

The connections the water pipes have to the uranium determine how much of that heat is turned into power

The aim is to get it Lamb hot but not so hot that it blows up

Heat is kind of equivalent to radio-activeness

If a hole appears in the shielding the radio-activeness will escape and damage everything outside- expanding a bit like a gas

The aim, gameplay wise, is to make a large very powerful engine that, once damaged, is extremely dangerous.

I look forward to your ideas!
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Nuclear generators heat water, so a steam turbine can produce energy.
I think the uranium rods should be placed in water tanks, which needs to be shielded.
A waterpipe needs to go out of the reactor and flow into a shielded heat exchanger, where the radioactive water from the reactor heats the water for the steam generator to prevent water with uranium from exiting the circuit.
The steam generator uses the steam created by the heat of the reactor to produce energy.
water needs to be pumped in the main reactor and in the steam turbine circuit.
if not the reactor gets too hot and a meltdown will start.
if the meltdown proceeds(no cooling is provided) the water will get so hot, that it splits in hydrogen and oxygen, which gets ingnited by the heat and explodes and releases radiation.
If the cooling is provided after a meltdown started it wont explode, but wont produce the full ammount of energy, depending on how much it proceeded (I dont know what hapens if you stop a meltdown in real just for simplification)

If a the reactor leaks, there will be no explosion, but the radiation escapes the reactor.
If that hapens, all blocks in a range(depending how big the reactor is) should take dammage

http://afritopic.com/media/wp-content/up...ctor2b.jpg
a picture how reactors are basicly working
Professor from crazy mashines Wrote:Do you know what that means? It means that this Lamb thing is not working!

skullair said everything, nothing to add ^^
There’s a special place in hell reserved just for me, it’s called the throne.
Quote:Tchou: well, all of my space spaghetti basically :p
Tchou: ship*
Tchou: I said ship!

Okay but the next job is to describe that in terms of a set of components and equations for the game Smile
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

a reactor block for the water and uranium storage, then a shield block to place around the 2*2 block: very heavy, very costly, very durabel (stats like 1000 health and 50 armor orso)

a pipe blocks that works both ways, so you don't need to much fiddling around to connect the reactor block to and steam turbine
and a steam turbine (2*1 or/and 3*6) the bigger steam turbine need to get steam from several reactors to work at 100%

also do we need a water pump for pumping water out of the ocean and this is connected whit a pipe block the to normal pipeing network , this also means that this engine is useless for space and aircraft

but because space is so cold we could cool enough whit some heat conductors attached to the reactor and extending to the outside of the ship in space ships, and a bit of water keeps being cycled in the engine
There is no reason in being a adult if you can't be childish -Nerdcubed

For the Pressurized Water reactor, you could make a multi block structure 6x6x6 and then inside you put Uranium and control rod
The pressurized water reactor must be made of a new block : Reactor Containment Structure, same armor as the light alloy block but radiation proof which is more expensive.
and then for the steam generator, it could be a block of the size of the ammo processing that produce steam.
And you can stick as many as you want on the pressurized water reactor(depending of the size of it)
And then you put generator on "steam" generator.
the more you have Steam generator, the more you can put electric generator
but the more you need controls rod and Uranium, so the more you need fuel.

Here is what we have been talking about with Nick
There’s a special place in hell reserved just for me, it’s called the throne.
Quote:Tchou: well, all of my space spaghetti basically :p
Tchou: ship*
Tchou: I said ship!

I feel like for how expensive these will be and such, they should give more power. Just my two cents.
"Evolution never over. Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue. Cannot obtain."

Here is an idea

Place a number of "reactor core" components. place "control rods" and "uranium rods" into these.

Also connect "water/steam pipes" to the "reactor core". The pipes carry water/steam and basically you don't need to worry about which one they are carrying. They form connections to "water tank" and "turbine generator" the "turbine generator" makes the power. The "water tank" stores water and if the system runs dry it will melt down unless you have enough control rods to stop the reaction. "water tank" is filled with sea water using "water inlet". you can re-fill your water tank by putting your water inlet under water.

the "reactor core" component gives off radiation and damages blocks. Shield the entire thing (reactor core, control rods, uranium rods) with a shielding material "reactor shield". Radiation will damage anything it touches except water pipes.

Power depends on the number of turbines, number of uranium rods, and having enough water for the system.

Control rods allow the system to "idle" when no power is needed. It will cool down and use less water. Without them it will heat up, use more water, and eventually melt down.

*edit* advantage of nuclear power : much more power, only needs water.

Disadvantage : expensive. less responsive - needs perhaps 20 seconds to fully heat up and then cools down when not in use (depending of course on how many control rods you place). Dangerous. Large.

I think i once made some suggestions about it (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...hp?tid=909)

And I'm already thinking about different mechanics.
The very easy to build RBK1000-style nuclear fission reactor with oldschool reaction rods, filed with uranium pellets. Lots of control rods. All that in housed in a graphite moderator tube housing within a single layered containment, filled with water.
Or some very modern gas-cooled pebble-bed-reactors, which actualy can't go meltdown-mode.
Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon

I think you cant stop a nuclear reactiob when it already started.
Why do you think the desaster in fukushima hapend.
Maybe there could be an emergency ejektor block which ejects the uranium rods to prevent a meltdown explosion.
The disadvantage is, that this will make the reactor useless and leaks radiation water and rods
Professor from crazy mashines Wrote:Do you know what that means? It means that this Lamb thing is not working!