Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Terrain Editor Height Maps

i.e. a low resolution map interpolated out to each point, with high frequency (high resolution) texture added as currently.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Geez, ouch, didn't consider filesize 0.0

I think that low-res and interpolation thing could work really well, if the noise doesn't deform too harsh, but that's a matter of fine tuning the values after importing the heightmap.

A complex but nice alternative:
A smaller but higher resolution map inside a hole of a much larger low res map.
So one could have vast low-detail areas and somewhere embedded, super detailed mountain peaks, archipelagos, harbors and cities.
A patchwork of differently placed and scaled, but identically sized 4k x 4k heightmaps.
One low res vanilla base map, and one smaller map per faction HQ and landmark.
Only problem I see is the interpolation at the edges between different resolution zones leading to weird gaps in the mesh.
Pursue happyness with diligence
-Mastodon

you can set noise in the world editor so you can turn it off or scale it as you please.

Yes that is an interesting alternative or additional feature but I think it's probably more useful to get full heightmap replacement in first then have additional detail zones if required.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

Alpha channel can be the "blend factor"- so if you have a large part of the map you don't care about set it transparent and let the world editor make some islands for you.

Aw yiss, alpha channel Big Grin
-Mastodon

I know, there's other stuff around, but any further thoughts?

bump Big Grin
-Mastodon

Wait who said it has to be a picture? It can just export it as a text file - a 2D array with height value in them.