Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Paddleship Pummel (Closed)

Two weeks until I can start building, and then will have 6 days to finish. Will call it Hyperush probably X)
Have an idea for design, but have no idea if it works.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

(2018-08-05, 03:40 AM)DraWay Wrote: Two weeks until I can start building, and then will have 6 days to finish. Will call it Hyperush probably X)

Slap some huuuuge paddles on it to make it go super fast. Tongue

(2018-08-05, 03:44 AM)Captain_Fox Wrote:
(2018-08-05, 03:40 AM)DraWay Wrote: Two weeks until I can start building, and then will have 6 days to finish. Will call it Hyperush probably X)

What is fast for paddleships in FtD anyway?  This is the first one I've ever built so I have no idea what's reasonable...

Vehicle Design Theme = Fugly but Functional

(2018-08-05, 05:17 AM)Ipsok Wrote:
(2018-08-05, 03:44 AM)Captain_Fox Wrote:

What is fast for paddleships in FtD anyway?  This is the first one I've ever built so I have no idea what's reasonable...

Well, the Red Wing goes a little over 13m/s, and I can do similarly with the Juggernaught-class. That one could possibly go faster if I could get the nose to go out of the water instead of dig into it when traveling at high speeds. So might be coating some alloy along the bottom of it, like what I did with the Red Wing.

I had made 25 m/s paddleboat with Marauder-like but single (no clipping) wheel. It's big enough to carry good fuel refinery and some weapons and still look civilian.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

So.. 

I have been fiddling around with battle ship scale rail guns and what it takes to stop them, with similar results to Dorkious's entry to Harnass1977's tournament that I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZZAe1x...e=youtu.be

I could armour against one shell or two but I just noticed that no repair bots are allowed.  Making this a rather tricky scenario to defend against.

Have you considered this Celery Man?

(rough & probably not entirely accurate example of rail stopping armour is attached)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That will be SOOOO expensive to use it probably won't be worth it.

Repair tentacles are, IF you have enough space for a secondary ship. And even that has a distance problem.

If ships do not need to have a single citadel rail sniping is going to be rather ineffective. Just have decoy ammo in empty spaces and 1-2 backup AIs and a rail build becomes a lot less effective. Maybe limit the max battery power?

(2018-08-05, 08:26 PM)Mourark Wrote: So.. 

I have been fiddling around with battle ship scale rail guns and what it takes to stop them, with similar results to Dorkious's entry to Harnass1977's tournament that I just found:

(snipped)

The only reason I have allowed super railguns is because of the really vulnerable and enormous engines that could easily get damaged and stop functioning. I think limiting the amount of battery power is a good idea, but I don't know how much I should limit it.

(2018-08-09, 03:56 PM)Celery Man Wrote:
(2018-08-05, 08:26 PM)Mourark Wrote: So.. 

(snipped)

The only reason I have allowed super railguns is because of the really vulnerable and enormous engines that could easily get damaged and stop functioning. I think limiting the amount of battery power is a good idea, but I don't know how much I should limit it.
FYI, you're writing inside the quoted post, so your words are just as dark as the quote's and appear to be also from the quote.

As for limiting the battery power... Would 100k power be too much or too little? 10k sounds like too little unless the hyper rails are gonna be firing very slowly...