Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Changing Tides - Archived pre-subforum thread

(2016-06-04, 08:38 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: K, I'll get to work on it. It's gonna be interesting to see how it turns out since the components of one ship is gonna be spread among two ships that are welded together lol.

Best thing about twin-hulled ships is that you can build each hull like a standalone ship and double the resilience of the ship to being disabled (AI sniping, EMP, ammo hits, etc)

(2016-06-04, 08:38 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Ok, I'll begin testing them to see if I can incorporate the shotgun design in the dual hull ship (maybe as an anit-air or anti-missile system?)

I'll be honest, shotgun designs are probably gonna fare better against air targets than missiles, considering that missiles more often than not come in a continuous stream.

(2016-06-04, 08:38 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: K, I've begun work on it but it's gonna be a while since currently it looks like a bunch of squares and rectangles pieced together by an insane engineer (and to be fair it kinda is lol) and that's without the weapon systems. Eh, don't worry about it. As it stands I'm still trying to get a rough idea of what size a Destroyer is in my opinion lol.

I suspect that your classification of ships will be at least partially dependent on the maximum size your computer can handle Tongue

(2016-06-04, 08:38 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: Yes they truly are. I'll do a 'spoiler' on it once I've finished the final details and find out what [CLASSIFIED] is capable of.

I believe the correct term for this is an "intelligence leak" Cool
Joking aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I won't be as active as usual, so I can't actively evaluate designs as I'd like to (and can't continue building up the Corensian Monarchy), but I can probably find the time to keep up to date.

(2016-06-04, 09:33 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: Best thing about twin-hulled ships is that you can build each hull like a standalone ship and double the resilience of the ship to being disabled (AI sniping, EMP, ammo hits, etc)

True, that'll help with the ammo hold significantly (since currently most ships I design are nearly split in two via an ammo shot).

(2016-06-04, 09:33 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: I'll be honest, shotgun designs are probably gonna fare better against air targets than missiles, considering that missiles more often than not come in a continuous stream.

K, I might actually add that to my current anti-fighter ship to increase it's effectiveness.

(2016-06-04, 09:33 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: I suspect that your classification of ships will be at least partially dependent on the maximum size your computer can handle Tongue

Well than that'll be interesting Tongue, the only ship that gives my computer a hard time is the big OW ship (I cannot remember it's name but the thing is huge and is a nightmare to fight (I spawned it on accident while testing)).

(2016-06-04, 09:33 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: I believe the correct term for this is an "intelligence leak" Cool
Joking aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I won't be as active as usual, so I can't actively evaluate designs as I'd like to (and can't continue building up the Corensian Monarchy), but I can probably find the time to keep up to date.

Well this will most certainly fall under that category (since once I test it I plan on putting the 'intel leak' without any pictures and with a vague description that'll get the point across) you won't be disappointed Wink. That's ok, I'll still upload them (maybe, I'm still trying to figure out whether keeping them for a while would be better) and be constantly making changes on my end. As it stands I'm finding it hard to get on FtD recently (family problems) so I won't be designing much for a while, also I plan on building something for the Corensian Monarchy. I'm just torn between it being a dedicated anti-air vessel (since they would seem to be susceptible to it) or a Destroyer. What I do know is that I'm gonna attempt to make it paddle based (since I'm the person who draws it out on a graph paper prior to designing lol) but I won't sacrifice too much firepower to do so (current projected armament if Destroyer: 3 Dual 250-300mm ACC (or CRAM's since there still is no fix for ACC cannons, grrr...),4 150mm Dual-purpose ACC (or CRAM's) ,and 4 Dual 45mm Flak ACC. If Anti-Air: 4 Dual 150mm Composite AA ACC, 8 Dual 60mm Flak AA ACC, and potentially a Hothead Missile system (the hotheads are the one's on the Benevolence Mk II) OR a Redeye missile system (Benevolence Mk III what I've come to designate as being an Interceptor (since after messing with it, I've edited the engines to allow for more jet engines)))
"If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun"

"If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win."

Alright, got some new toys for ya.

#1. The Vanguard class Drone Thrusterfoil:

[Image: EnKpl7M.jpg]

(Yes that's the Matercula in the background, since I thought she might need a few around to draw the fire)

Initially designed to hold her own against anything the Reefback Wreckers and potentially the Corensian Monarchy could throw against her, however during the designing phase the Head Engineer decided to turn her sights on bigger targets. Perhaps even against the disgusting Venom Lance and their taint that they spread. So he added an experimental weapons system to the back, dubbed: Power cannon (he really wasn't creative with names....). This improved her firepower significantly and allowed a flotilla of three to not only withstand but destroy a Palisade (which was acquired by a shady man..... no one even knows where it came from, he said something about "Onyx Watch" and how it belonged to them, whoever they are. Maybe he has been breathing in too many of the toxic fumes......he might need to be cleansed...). However due to the need to produce as many as these as we can in a short span, the engineer was forced to sacrifice armor meaning that they can be crushed with a single well placed CRAM shell. To counter this they were given improved speed, allowing them to outrun most shots. Production: Awaiting approval from higher ups.
(also she's not 100% done, she has no shields and no smoke deployers, however she does have LAM's and a Interceptor missile array (I'm not gonna lie, this is my first time creating Interceptors, so this is interesting lol). Also her engine overheats (a problem I didn't notice with the Tadpole engine design of mine during initial testing.....))

#2. The Vulture class Bomber:
[Image: JZTsDAB.jpg]

(er, since I have no idea what faction this one will go to I'll just put her original lore)
After the success of the Rapier class Fighter, the Altesian Monocracy decided to update it's forces of bombers from the standard Shrike bomber modification, to something that could serve as a dedicated bomber and would as such leave the Shrikes to a AWAC's role or potentially as commercial aircraft for the citizens of Altesia. No price was set upon the contract, leaving many corporations to come in and try their hand on making bombers. However the contract ended as soon as it started, as the Forescythe Corporation had a new design for us that could fill this role. Leary about putting their egg's all in one basket (since Forescythe designed the Rapier), the Council approved their request for a demonstration. This demonstration was all they needed, and small scale production was approved of for further testing that same day. At the time she was initially known as the B-01, however after several pilots got in and flew it, they all decided to nickname her "Vulture" since she's deadly AND decisively ugly.... She is completely capable of ruining any Captains day by all 22 (I think?) missiles. Production: Awaiting further approval from the Council
(this is so close to done, there are quite a few problems with the design however . Her engine will overheat every now and then but the other two will kick in and will suffice for a while (something I'm working on). This is the bomber that was suppose to ship with the Matercula, however she got delayed because her missiles would clip through and blow up on the inside. This problem was fixed? (I'm not sure, testing showed that it wasn't her missiles that did her in now, it was the Pinacle and it's AA but I would watch for that) The other problem is that she is a big fricken target that isn't going all that fast (39m/s last I checked) so most AA can hit her, but her metal exterior prevents all but the big one's from getting through. Other than that it truly is a devastating blow she can deal and once these problems are fixed (which I might call upon you to help me fix this) she'll be a force to reckon with.).

I had a little too much fun writing both lores lol.

Prototypes missplaced temporarily. (Apparently some idiots took them for a *ahem* 'test drive' and are heading full speed ahead into White Flayer territory. Don't worry, the Silent Service Task Force is moving to intercept so those prototypes will be in your dockyards soon enough (AKA I forgot to beamify them AND I misnamed them.....)).

Prototypes reacquired.

I had too much fun with that as well.....

Attached Files
.blueprint   Vanguard class Drone Thrusterfoil.blueprint (Size: 111.59 KB / Downloads: 23)
.blueprint   Vulture class Bomber.blueprint (Size: 88.35 KB / Downloads: 23)

(2016-06-06, 11:18 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote:
(2016-06-04, 09:33 PM)StahlSentinel Wrote: I believe the correct term for this is an "intelligence leak" Cool

Well this will most certainly fall under that category (since once I test it I plan on putting the 'intel leak' without any pictures and with a vague description that'll get the point across) you won't be disappointed Wink. That's ok, I'll still upload them (maybe, I'm still trying to figure out whether keeping them for a while would be better) and be constantly making changes on my end. As it stands I'm finding it hard to get on FtD recently (family problems) so I won't be designing much for a while, also I plan on building something for the Corensian Monarchy. I'm just torn between it being a dedicated anti-air vessel (since they would seem to be susceptible to it) or a Destroyer. What I do know is that I'm gonna attempt to make it paddle based (since I'm the person who draws it out on a graph paper prior to designing lol) but I won't sacrifice too much firepower to do so (current projected armament if Destroyer: 3 Dual 250-300mm ACC (or CRAM's since there still is no fix for ACC cannons, grrr...),4 150mm Dual-purpose ACC (or CRAM's) ,and 4 Dual 45mm Flak ACC. If Anti-Air: 4 Dual 150mm Composite AA ACC, 8 Dual 60mm Flak AA ACC, and potentially a Hothead Missile system (the hotheads are the one's on the Benevolence Mk II) OR a Redeye missile system (Benevolence Mk III what I've come to designate as being an Interceptor (since after messing with it, I've edited the engines to allow for more jet engines)))

If you're thinking of building for the Corensian Monarchy, cannons are preferable, with missiles relegated to anti-missile duty. I'll put up the build guidelines for them in a bit, though I won't be able to get the fleet colour values for a bit.
With the Monarchy's focus on broadsiding though, CRAMs are the preferred weapon system for main guns.

Build Guidelines for the Corensian Monarchy:
  • Shields not permitted with the exception of small air vehicles (which are slow and vulnerable) and capital ships.
  • Armour should primarily be 2m of metal.
  • Broadsides are the preferred main weapon system of the Monarchy. Even the AA airship has an AA broadside, so turrets should be fairly minimal with the exception of anti-air.
  • By extension, firerates should be fairly low. Hence AA weapons should be timed or altitude flak shells.
  • Paddles should be present on any naval unit, but should be backed up by props and set to turn at a speed that looks more-or-less right with the speed it travels at. Unless we get motor drive for paddles, they're so far below par as a propulsion system it isn't even funny.
  • Bring lots of resource crates. If the ship could pull duty as a cargo ship (and isn't already too low in the water), there's probably sufficient resource storage. Ditto for spares crates.
  • Plenty of repair bots, but keep it reasonable. Repair tentacles are A-OK for support ships, but again keep it reasonable.

There are two schools of design within the Monarchy;
HM Royal Shipyard:
  • Large, imposing designs - either converted galleons or sleek sailing-ship-like paddle steamers.
  • Mainly armed with broadsides and very conventional.

Duke Jorgenson's Manufactory:
  • Vehicles should resemble early experiments in steamships or steampunk ships of some description.
  • Turrets more acceptable here.
  • Ships should by-and-large be smaller than Royal Shipyard ones, but the Manufactory also produces airships and submarines.
  • Airships should essentially be ships held up by dediblade "balloons" and propelled by dediblades - ion thrusters and small jet engines are acceptable for turning. Preferable naval AI for non-bomber airships, since they're mostly broadsiders.

Faction fleet colours will be added via post editing later.

Things the Monarchy could probably use:
  • More HM Royal Shipyard ships.
  • An extra airship or two.

Edit: Examples of both styles can be seen in this thread.

'Dediblade balloons'

What do you mean by that? Balloons on the outside but also held up by dediblades, or dediblades inside balloon shaped things?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
~~Terry Pratchett

(2016-06-07, 07:09 PM)Hypersycos Wrote: 'Dediblade balloons'

What do you mean by that? Balloons on the outside but also held up by dediblades, or dediblades inside balloon shaped things?

The second. Preferably made of metal like everything else Corensian.

On a side note, the Arcturus shown in the Corensian Monarchy designs thread I linked is a Royal Shipyard design. The Fouroy & Serpent are Manufactory designs.

(2016-06-07, 07:41 AM)StahlSentinel Wrote:
(2016-06-06, 11:18 PM)Gaurdian23 Wrote: *Snipped rambling*

If you're thinking of building for the Corensian Monarchy, cannons are preferable, with missiles relegated to anti-missile duty. I'll put up the build guidelines for them in a bit, though I won't be able to get the fleet colour values for a bit.
With the Monarchy's focus on broadsiding though, CRAMs are the preferred weapon system for main guns.

K, I figured as much lol. I'll go ahead and redesign the missile arrays and put something else there, ironically I boast so much about being good with missiles but I think I have yet to create an Interceptor missile system haha (there is one on the Vanguard but it is actually not working last I checked). Don't worry about the fleet paint values for it, I'll just paint it in my fleet colors and once it gets transferred to the Corensian Monarchy it'll switch to theirs. Yea, I've learned that CRAM's are better for Broadsiding and APS is good for turrets (at least in my brief dip into CRAM's) I'll go ahead and play with CRAM's some more and see what I can come up with (since currently the only functioning CRAM turret I have shoots a monster of a shell that will do some severe damage (even to the WF and their OPness) but it's slow to turn and has worse aim than a drunken sailor who has one eye and their ship is rocking about like they're in a hurricane).

I've looked at the Corensian Monarchy guidelines so I'll begin building that soon. However in the meantime I've remade the Matercula's Radar tower:

[Image: XxzhHBP.jpg]

[Image: s10qOYN.jpg]

How do you think it looks? It no longer has the sight range on the map, but it does now have the ability to constantly target an object (even though at times the lasers will disappear, they still function perfectly fine) as well as has missile detectors on the 'radar' and laser detectors with smoke deployers (albeit they aren't very effective there so it's pretty much purely aesthetic). Furthermore I've removed the spawners (not the sub-vehicle ones Tongue) and added some things there for aesthetics and I've downed the main gun from a triple barrelled 150mm to a dual barrelled 150mm. I plan on actually messing with it and either keeping the 150mm and making it able to almost fire constantly OR replace the main gun with a cram cannon. I'm not sure which as of yet. I have unfortunately not removed the extra armor yet and add the ejectors to the missiles since I can only get on for short bursts.

In this short burst however I also modified the Vanguard. I believe her Interceptor missiles are working now (?), and I've fixed the engine overheat by adding on another compact engine as well as fixing a rare bug she had where she would turn into a submarine (I think). Something interesting BTW, I had her and two Ticks take on a Constitution from the OW and they came out handily on top (she was down to 87% (since she lost her turret) and remained that way, the Ticks took 1% damage each since they on accident bumped skids). I'll continue editing them in the meantime, I won't add the BP's just yet since I have a feeling I'll be making more edits very soon (hopefully tomorrow or Friday), I just wanted to let you know the progress I'm making.

Also, since the Vanguard didn't turn out the way I wanted it to I'll be making more like her. One with a APS that actually fires constantly and a AA version.

I've also begun laying the keel for a Monitor class vessel since I'm very much so excited about them. What I plan on having is a 3m thick metal top hull and 1m thick metal side hull. 1 or 2 Dual 200mm turret(s), and a torpedo launcher in the front hull (since monitors did have torpedo's).

Finally I'm gonna begin building the twin hull ship soon, I'm just in need of some design ideas in the meantime lol.

Well I made another ship like the Vanguard....

Say Hello to the Hunter class Thrusterfoil:

[Image: KrhGOgI.jpg]

That's the best action shot I've gotten yet lol

She's slightly larger than the Vanguard, but impressively stronger.

Lore:

After Designing the Vanguard and the Matercula, the head engineer didn't feel accomplished. He felt that there needed to be a ship of the line so to speak and that all his previous designs didn't accomplish this, so he left his private room and began work on another ship in his workshop. After hours upon hours of building he came up with the perfect design! That was before he realized that said design had no fuel or ammo.....redesigning it in an infuriated state, he fixed the problem and then said screw it to the aesthetics. Trials started the next day, after a short talk with the mysterious man again. This time though, the engineer wanted something of a real challenge! So he assembled a battle flotilla comprised of 1 Hunter and 2 Vanguards and awaited the ship that the man would bring him. After a days worth of waiting (and a short reprieve on land, that may or may not have involved a liquid substance.....or 5) the mysterious man filled his promise, with a ship called the Iron Cordon. The initial test, went terribly. The Hunter's engine failed and the engineer fled to the safety of his personal life boat before the Iron Cordon shredded it to bits. Rebuilding from scratch he fixed this issue and sent the flotilla out again, and won handily. The Iron Cordon buckled under the hammering blows dealt to it and eventually (after 20 minutes) was crushed completely. Production: Awaiting approval from higher ups.

(I'm not gonna lie, this is starting to become fun lol)

Anyways, away from the lore. I'm genuinely impressed with this ship, it costs just under 200,000 metal and can take on an Iron Cordon with only two Vanguards. Of course initial testing was originally against, a DWG Corsair (and then another one), a DWG Prowler (and btw, these three were taken on by the same vessel merely seconds apart from each others destruction), and then I jumped to the OW Palisade....which kicked it's butt so I jumped even higher to the OW Iron Cordon haha.