From The Depths - Forum
New UI - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Feedback requests (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=226)
+--- Thread: New UI (/showthread.php?tid=38721)

Pages: 1 2 3

New UI - Nick Smart - 2019-04-12

I'm interested in your feedback on the new UI style and functionality that has been gradually put into FTD

Please use the poll, and also give your written feedback.

RE: New UI - Albino - 2019-04-12

The new ui is neet, but i've noticed some issues, particularly with larger text sizes and PID, additionally the sliding bars total length changes when the character length of the value changes, such as from 2 to 2.1, making the slider a different length. this can cause some weirdness trying to get more exact values using the slider.

RE: New UI - ThunderPanzer - 2019-04-12

The thing I don't like is how inconsistent the formatting is, some text is centered in the boxes while some is stuck to the left or right side of the box and it doesn't really follow a pattern. Other than that, maybe a bit of decoration could be nice as the UI currently look a bit default, and sliders could be made less wonky as mentioned before (there are areas in which the slider rapidly fluctuates from a value to the other due to resizing).
I think that when the issues are ironed out, the new UI will be a lot more versatile than the one before.

RE: New UI - afjklol - 2019-04-12

My main issue is that certain areas of the UI looks cluttered and not subdivided well. Such as the new ACB Ui comapred to before.
The AI UI currently is very empty and so it feels weird going through different areas for a sinlge option anyways. If tehre were more options i think it can justify the subdivision in the new AI.

As for the overall design, I feel like its bland. I'm not sure what theme the game currently is trying to go for as of now.
But if we were to go by the original release design based on the age of sail/dieselpunk, then I think a bit of wooden texture, old parchment paper or a decorative compass on the side of the Ui screen might do some good.
or maybe some copper trim with rust etc.
Though this definitely should come after a bit more optimizing the UI layout.

Some UI also overlap with others. For example, in the block selection menu, some options overlap with the checklist at the bottom right corner.

RE: New UI - Richy - 2019-04-13

I like the look and feel of it, but think the way things are presented inside could do with making a little more user friendly. The AI window in particular could do with being made to look a bit more user friendly

Also having ALL the possible vehicle controls in the top left looks confusing and ugly. imo should only be for craft that have the complex controllers on. Simpler is better

RE: New UI - Carolus Magnus - 2019-04-13

I have never had huge issues with the UI. I think working with UI's is more of a habit of learning to work with their peculiarities, rather than their inherant user-friendlines.

That said, from the depths could use some standardisation as said above, and could be made more intuitive for new players.

RE: New UI - Nick Smart - 2019-04-13

Thanks very much this has been very helpful. I will create a few tasks to these issues out.

RE: New UI - Nick Smart - 2019-04-16

I have this idea that a button press on the UI (next to the X to close), or a key press, perhaps, could "hide the current UI" and when you next press escape the hidden UI pops back up.

This would make it easier to fiddle with something like AI or a PID and then inspect the vehicle and then go back to the same UI.

Do you like this idea?
Does it give you any other good ideas?

I've incorporated a lot of the feedback from this thread into the latest dev tests, more to come, and it'll be in stable soon.

RE: New UI - DelsGaming - 2019-04-16

Like the new UI, my only issues is the way it fails to resize if a larger element is shown due to an object selection,
and the way it handles mouse scrolling used to make the window scroll down, if itgoes over a box it puts focus on the box and changes the values. When scrolling down a window you may not see that the cursor is going to go over a box and certainly not realise it just screwed up the values. Suggest box focus only set on selection not hover.

RE: New UI - Nick Smart - 2019-04-16

(2019-04-16, 05:23 PM)DelsGaming Wrote: Like the new UI, my only issues is the way it fails to resize if a larger element is shown due to an object selection,
and the way it handles mouse scrolling used to make the window scroll down, if itgoes over a box it puts focus on the box and changes the values. When scrolling down a window you may not see that the cursor is going to go over a box and certainly not realise it just screwed up the values. Suggest box focus only set on selection not hover.

Thats a good point about the mouse over when scrolling down. Will see if I can put it on a timer or something so it needs to hover for a few frames before adjusting the value.