From The Depths - Forum
Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com)
+-- Forum: Alpha (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Questions (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature (/showthread.php?tid=38321)

Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - DARGON606 - 2018-11-07

So i understand why this is a feature cause i went and looked at other threads and yeah i suppose we dont want a fighter to pull a battleship but this feature has been here for years. 

Why hasn't an alternative been made yet? IE: docking station power consumption based on other vehicles mass maybe?

Are there plans to change it to a new system that i haven't heard of?

Any vehicle i make that carries other vehicles is limited to 30m/s and a lot of my craft are based on not getting hit because they're fast so when i have a carrier that suddenly loses its fighter squadron when it turns on its engines i have a problem.

The reason im bringing this up now is because i've just created a new airship and it was supposed to carry a fighter complement and possibly drop a couple tactical nukes (experimenting with them in my campaign to see how effective they are) but i cant do any of that because the airship happens to go 115m/s (which is far better than i hoped) and clearly thats not gonna work with fighters.

I also wanna see what the general community thinks of this feature and whether it should be changed so i included a poll.

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - DraWay - 2018-11-07

It should be changed, because currently it's pile of crutches.
But i think that battleship sized stuff zipping around at supersonic speeds also should be changed.

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - PualWall - 2018-11-07

(2018-11-07, 03:33 AM)DARGON606 Wrote: The reason im bringing this up now is because i've just created a new airship and it was supposed to carry a fighter complement and possibly drop a couple tactical nukes

Yeah sorry that doesn't sound like a very balanced use for docking stations on vehicles that do over 30 m/s

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - Lincrono - 2018-11-07

(2018-11-07, 03:47 AM)DraWay Wrote: It should be changed, because currently it's pile of crutches.
But i think that battleship sized stuff zipping around at supersonic speeds also should be changed.

much better to allow players their fun, and give the rest of us weapons that can burn them from the sky.

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - DARGON606 - 2018-11-07

(2018-11-07, 05:25 AM)PualWall Wrote:
(2018-11-07, 03:33 AM)DARGON606 Wrote: The reason im bringing this up now is because i've just created a new airship and it was supposed to carry a fighter complement and possibly drop a couple tactical nukes

Yeah sorry that doesn't sound like a very balanced use for docking stations on vehicles that do over 30 m/s

Ok given tactical nukes probably isnt the best idea for this, the fighters would be fine. After all there are airships from the other factions that have fighters (IE: Barracuda) its just that they're slow and like i said currently my designs rely on their maneuverability to stay alive.

And thats not the only two uses. There are other things you can use docking stations for. Like for instance i've seen vehicles that have smaller vehicles attached to them that are really just a floating turret in the air near them. IE: Defense outpost from the grey talons, the turrets that hover above Thanatos in the Twin Guard.

And, if im not mistaken, the Novgorod from the Steel Striders carries along the two smaller vessels with it on docking stations.

Ive gone on a bit but my point is there are balanced uses and a multitude of other uses other than what i was going to try using it for. And to be honest if all i wanted to use it for was the tactical nukes i wouldn't be asking for it to be changed because I'd set up a design spawner and a blueprint that is literally just a tactical nuke that would turn on within a certain range of the enemy. But the fighters were more important than the nukes to begin with anyway. I just think that theres probably a much better way to balance this feature after years of limiting our designs with docking stations to 30m/s.

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - PualWall - 2018-11-07

All the cool and balanced ways to use docking stations aside, being able to undock tacnukes and other extremely cheesy/exploitable subvehicles from an untrackable vehicle is why the speed limit exists.

If there's a better way to balance this, then by all means, let us know.

RE: Docking Station Speed Limit Feature - DARGON606 - 2018-11-08

(2018-11-07, 06:29 PM)PualWall Wrote: All the cool and balanced ways to use docking stations aside, being able to undock tacnukes and other extremely cheesy/exploitable subvehicles from an untrackable vehicle is why the speed limit exists.

If there's a better way to balance this, then by all means, let us know.

But why should all the cool and balanced ways be ruined by a few unbalanced methods that there are other ways to fix. For instance having the docking station consume power proportional to the mass of the vessel its pulling to prevent things like fighters pulling battleships. Or have the speed limit of the docking station be based on the mass of the object being pulled. And if you're concerned specifically about tac nukes there could be a restriction that just applies to tac nukes that makes it more difficult to use them in that way. Like for instance if they went with either of the methods i just suggested the tac nuke block could cause the vehicles speed to be lower when restricted or the power consumption to be much higher.

And those aren't the only ways. My point is that the fix for one or two unbalanced things shouldn't restrict a whole range of possibilities, most of which are fair and would be cool designs.