From The Depths - Forum
4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com)
+-- Forum: Alpha (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: [!!] Obsolete [!!] (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=223)
+---- Forum: Suggestions (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: 4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? (/showthread.php?tid=35957)

4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - Juusoz - 2018-05-15

So, many of you probably have run into a bit of a problem when creating something remotely spherical in this game.

The game has no large area square corners. 1x1 square corner exists, but not 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 square corners.
The same goes with triangle corners and inverted triangle corners.

The satelite I'm building, Fenrir, has this problem. It's supposed to have a dome on top of it, protecting the mainframes and engines.

But...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=50498]

I know this is quite a lot of work, but maybe create a full selection of corners, 2x3, 4x4 etc... ?

Another part that would be pretty neat would be inverted wedges.
Because there are just times when you'd need 2 slopes in 1 block area.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=50500]

This one would be at least a bit easier to make, and its health and cost would be the same as a slope the same size.
No need for 3x4 things either. We have slopes for that.

RE: 4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - khaz - 2018-05-15

2x2 would be good but 4x4 is too large, you'd have people building hulls out it. Inverted wedges would be nice and beam 1m wedges and perhaps 2x2 wedges

RE: 4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - MizarLuke - 2018-05-16

Yeah, all that would be nice. I'm not so sure about 2x2 wedges, since I'm not sure quite what you mean. Another nice thing would be to add half-length (0.5m and 1.5m) wedges, since you cannot slope out a 1m-sloped hull, since the 1m wedgeis actually at the angle of a 2m slope.

Good to have you back on the forums, khaz. It'll be nice to have someone other than Gladyon who can bring game improvements.

RE: 4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - khaz - 2018-05-16

Yeah half wedges would be nice (and a beam version Smile). With the 2x2 i mean a 2m wedge that is 2high, like two of them on top of each other and the 1m wedge beam would be 4of them ontop of each other, kind of like the 1m slope beam. A 2m slope 2x2 would also be nice as I really dont like having to use 1m beams or 4m slopes for durability but sacrifice aesthetic options for it.

*edit* heh yeah back in a limited fashion, actually started because I jumped on the forum to check some mods and saw 34 reports of spambots have been jumping on to eradicate them when i get a break in the day job.
As for improvements it all has to come from Nick for the work schedule, I'm just offering my personal opinion on stuff Smile

RE: 4x4 Square Corners and Inverted Wedges? - Juusoz - 2018-05-16

(2018-05-15, 11:26 PM)khaz Wrote: 2x2 would be good but 4x4 is too large, you'd have people building hulls out it.

So, I did the math.

Quote:A square corner:
Width W: 4
Depth D: 4
Height H: 1

Area A = W * D

Volume of a pyramid = A * H / 3
Volume = 5,33 blocks.

In other words, a square corner the size of 4x4 blocks would have just a small bit bigger health than 1x4 blocks big beam.
Triangle corner would be even worse, with a 2,7 block volume.

This, combined with the fact that a larger area object usually gets hits from a larger area, would make it a pretty poor choice for a hull. Would look pretty cool though.

The strongest corner would definitely be the inverted triangle corner, with a volume for a 4x4 block would be whopping 13,3 blocks.
But that's up to you guys if you want to implement that into the game.

Here's a link to an excel cheatsheet I made to help you better understand the health and costs of the corners. It comes equipped with triangle, square and inverted triangle corner calculators. Feel free to use it whenever you want.
Which reminds me, the current corner costs and healths are incorrect in the game.