From The Depths - Forum
TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - Printable Version

+- From The Depths - Forum (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com)
+-- Forum: Alpha (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Your own vehicle blueprints (https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. (/showthread.php?tid=16483)

Pages: 1 2

TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - KuramaFox - 2016-02-15

After making the Tie-Sail Freighter, I figured "Why not try to make a sail-powered fighter?"

Ludicrous as it may seem, it turned out alright. As you might guess from the name, its appearance is somewhat similar to some fighters used by some empire somewhere.

[Image: TIHjkfEl.jpg]

This fighter-bomber is equipped with a forward mounted ACC rapid fire kinetic sabot gun, and a downwards facing CRAM cannon suited for attacking larger targets.

It cruises up near the edge of the gravity well, but will come down a bit to engage enemy targets as need be (according to the settings I put into Madwad's LUA AI, it should try to maintain an altitude a couple hundred meters above its target, but I may need to muck with it some more).

Due to the fact that it never needs resupply, and the fact that it is cheap (only a bit over 85k), this vessel makes a nice unit to stick out somewhere without needing to bother with refueling or resupplying it (I am aware of the Irony of this when considering the design philosophy of the actual TIE-Fighter).

It also makes a nice early game vessel.

As for downsides? Well, it is relatively fragile (no point putting shields on something that has no engine).

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - afjklol - 2016-02-15

This is the definition of a glass cannon. The fragility and capability of long range reminds me of the A6M Zero. Also Star wars much?

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - Minecraft Zerneas - 2016-02-15

That is the exact opposite of a TIE, and it looks amazing!
No sphere cockpit? Would that be too unaerodynamic?

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - KuramaFox - 2016-02-15

It was not intended to be a proper TIE replica, to be fair. It uses a similar setup to one with its sails that the TIE does with what are apparently supposed to be solar panels. So a true spherical cockpit was passed over for the one it got (and for that matter, its "wings" are far too close together to be a proper TIE fighter).

Indeed it is fragile, but a small group of them work pretty well for earlier enemies, especially if you also have some early-game conventional fighters and small surface ships along with them.

If one were to make a "proper" TIE fighter replica for FTD, though, I suspect the "wings" might actually be best containing radiators for engines. Which actually fits with the reason I personally believe that wings in general actually make sense in sci-fi space settings: They are a perfect location to put radiator systems to disperse the waste heat of all those highly energetic futuristic power systems sci-fi ships always have.

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - Minecraft Zerneas - 2016-02-15

Yeah IK, it's really pretty cool though.

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - KuramaFox - 2016-02-19

On a side note, sails actually have reasonable potential for use in spacecraft, especially larger ones, which you want to move relatively quick without a zillion ion engines (which are very expensive RP-wise). Something to note if someone happens to run an RP-limited space tournament sometime.

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - SuperObeseNinja - 2016-02-20

sails in space O_O that seems like an idea for a tournament on its own.... Space Ships... like .... wind in space O_O

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - Jeffrey94 - 2016-02-20

So wait, sails work not only on flyers, but in space?

How in the...

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - Tallon Warhawk - 2016-02-20

Look up solar sails its a thing.

RE: TIE-Sail Fighter-Bomber: Cheap zero-fuel transatmospheric fighter. - A Lemming - 2016-02-20

(2016-02-15, 09:17 PM)KuramaFox Wrote: It was not intended to be a proper TIE replica, to be fair. It uses a similar setup to one with its sails that the TIE does with what are apparently supposed to be solar panels.

NO NO NO NO NO
I have surmised that TIE fighters must run on fusion power. The fact that the TIE is powered by 2 tiny thrusters at the back which eject red-white hot matter helps confirm this. It seems like the thrusters work by letting a small amount of the byproducts of a fusion reaction out of the back of the craft.
The exhaust is probably helium. Enyway, this means that the panels are not actually solar panels, but large passive radiators used to cool down the reactor, and possibly generate electricity through the use of thermoelectric plates.