From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: FFG-1 Fearless (Criticism Welcome)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=52849]I've been working on a modern inspired line of ships and aircraft.  This is a (mostly) complete design I'm looking for some advice on.

The Fearless represents the 4th class of ship in the line, building up from fast-attack, patrol, corvette and now frigates.

The hull/superstructure shape is roughly based on the BMT Venator (a contender for UK next generation frigate)  I didn't add a bulbous bow, but might revise to include one for sonar mounting.

Runs on twin supercharger heavy fuel engines.  Cruises efficiently but chugs fuel when the ammo processors kick in.
Has vectored props instead of a rudder, and some forward propulsion dediblades to push the max speed up to 20ish m/s.  (Waaay faster than a real venator, but I'm playing these ships to defend themselves primarily with range and maneuver)

Weapons Loadout:

-236mm clipless rapid fire main gun firing 2m HESH (Accuracy could use some work)
-6 Medium Radar EMPFrag VLS missiles
-4 Medium Remote guided VLS HE Thumpers (replaced an attempt at VLS Torps that didn't go so well in testing)
-4 Medium HE Torpedoes (forward firing bow tubes)
-24 Small Radar Frag SAMs
-Embarked HR-1 Missile attack helicopter.  Automatically does launch/recovery based on enemy presence in 3km range

Countermeasures:
-2 x 8 Small Missile Interceptors (not great, but it fits on the ship)
-2 x 4 Self propelled radar/flare decoys
-Smoke dispensers (only on forward half of ship so far)

This ship is late in my "First generation" run through the campaign, meant more to mass fires against the late DWG and early OW/LH targets.  I purposefully do not put LAMS, Rails, Offensive Lasers, PACs or Shields on gen 1 ships.  The later generations will get those once I'm happy with my abilities with more conventional weapons.  Also, I generally avoid CRAM based on the ranges I want to play at (1km is an uncomfortably close engagement for my corvettes/frigates, 2km is ideal)

My complaints/issues that I'm looking for some advice on:

- No combination of default/pid Yaw control seems to keep this thing from fishtailing badly in fleet movement.  I can max 20-21m/s but probably get half that speed made good because of how badly the thing overshoots maneuvers to stay on course.  Any advice on smoothing out the navigation is greatly appreciated.

- Looking for advice on where to put a kinetic or flak based CIWS.  I'm thinking the aft superstructure just in front of the flight deck, but concerned it's too far from COM and the rounds will fire too far off axis from incoming missiles leading to poor accuracy.

- Would broadside torps (and possibly also counter-torps) provide a significant firepower/defense boost) or better off leaving them alone.

Profile shot and BP Posted below:

[attachment=52850]
[attachment=52849]
Here goes:

the Best CIWS location is probably the top surface which could be accomplished pretty easily with a more tightly packed VLS cell.  other prime areas are the flanks, Flanks also make for great decoy placement.

The main gun is severely hamstrung by being limited to above deck.  If a good portion of he forward section was gun it would be far more useful.  Similarly, if the ship pitches up at all that gun will fire into the bow along the forward arc, I would personally cut the walls there down considerably.

fishtailing could be one of several things: 
-A lack of tuning on the vectored thrust system
-Bad turning circle settings
-poor or non-existent yaw PID
-a kink in the current AI (there seem to be several with waypoints/yaw) though some of them also appear to simply be tuning issues.
-You specifically mention fleet move, are you fleeting this vessel with similar ships or ones with significantly different agility and speed?

I'm not a fan of broadside torps however you have plenty of space for a torp turret
(2019-04-16, 01:15 AM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]The main gun is severely hamstrung by being limited to above deck.  If a good portion of he forward section was gun it would be far more useful.  Similarly, if the ship pitches up at all that gun will fire into the bow along the forward arc, I would personally cut the walls there down considerably.

Huh? That's a 9x9 internal below decks. It's far back to have room for rotation. Combat testing hasn't shown any big problem with hitting the bow, but I was worried about that when I installed it.

As for the yaw thing...thanks for bringing up turning circle. I've always wondered about that...time to go try messin with it.

I've only used fleet move with this thing in designer by itself to follow waypoints to try to tune the pid.
(2019-04-16, 03:39 AM)krazygluon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-16, 01:15 AM)Lincrono Wrote: [ -> ]The main gun is severely hamstrung by being limited to above deck.  If a good portion of he forward section was gun it would be far more useful.  Similarly, if the ship pitches up at all that gun will fire into the bow along the forward arc, I would personally cut the walls there down considerably.

Huh? That's a 9x9 internal below decks.  It's far back to have room for rotation.  Combat testing hasn't shown any big problem with hitting the bow, but I was worried about that when I installed it.

As for the yaw thing...thanks for bringing up turning circle.  I've always wondered about that...time to go try messin with it.

I've only used fleet move with this thing in designer by itself to follow waypoints to try to tune the pid.

my bad on the 9x9, it looked like the turret was set on a 3x3 base,  if it is 9x9 below deck then some rail draw would clean up the accuracy and add some needed speed.

on ships this size a 300m turning circle is usually a safe bet, i haven't' checked yet to see if that is still the cap as some larger ships probably actually needed larger ones.