From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Gunner Corvette
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two single 200mm Auto guns, LAMS, 6.9k power. Pretty sure guns aren't optimized, but they work. Shields all strength 7 reflect, runs about 10.5 m/s. Detection is a little off, does much better with manual aiming. The downwards facing props are for roll control, it floats just fine on buoyancy alone.

[attachment=52466]
Planned next moves are to move the LAMS closer in behind the second layer of armor, may drop down to only one emitter. Need to move the trackers on the turrets up, they lose track of aerial targets and may be making the turret easier to pop with their current location. Could use a bit more speed too. Might move shields around and go with a double layer of weaker ones.
Interesting little thing. Quite nice you managed to put a spaced armor on such a small craft.

For the shields: indeed, dual strength-4 will require less power than single strength-7 shielding. Extra power can go for LAMS.

The problem with direction is that rudders are located too low bellow CoM, so their steering force gives also list to the vessel. You can try to bring them 1m higher, together with the floor of the aft part. Same goes with propelers: they're too low, so the vessel is trying to put wheelies when thrust is applied. I would suggest:
-replaceing inner hull with light alloy to reduce a bit the weight
-mounting the two lower propellers and their shaft on a spinblock to adjust angle of the thurst

For the rest, your turrets are quite fine and I must say I like very much the overall look of the unit, especially that formard part. It's real war machine!
I'll look at balancing thrust and rudders with CoM.

For now I've pulled shields back to 6, extended the LAMs, lowered the emitters to keep the turret barrel from hanging on them, rearranged the props, added one more prop, and added a few small missiles. Also had to toss a helium pump in the rear for a little extra floaty after the missiles and little extra belly armor for the ammo.  Also changed up the side bulges to give a bit better turret armor up high, and gave it a paint job. I pulled the sides down some to shroud the roll thrusters too, managing 15m/s now.
(2018-12-06, 06:14 PM)Teoc Wrote: [ -> ]I'll look at balancing thrust and rudders with CoM.

For now I've pulled shields back to 6, extended the LAMs, lowered the emitters to keep the turret barrel from hanging on them, rearranged the props, added one more prop, and added a few small missiles. Also had to toss a helium pump in the rear for a little extra floaty after the missiles and little extra belly armor for the ammo.  Also changed up the side bulges to give a bit better turret armor up high, and gave it a paint job. I pulled the sides down some to shroud the roll thrusters too, managing 15m/s now.

15m/s should be a minimum, with the target being 20-30, maybe even faster with the new steam props.  Anything slower on campaign map is just painful to move, even on 10x speed.  my first units were about 6-10m/s . . . first proper ships ~20, and i've never gone back.
Would definitely be faster with a steam setup. Just hate burning those materials when I can have an efficient refinery at base. Wish we had shaft drive props from fuel engines. Or fuel boilers.

I came up with a name too. Think I'll call it 212 Hungry Chipmunk.
OK, I took the liberty to toy a bit with your design especially regarding the props. They are mounted on spinblock, and the angle is controled via ACB for pitch management (ACBs are located in the steering post, just port side of the chair). It's not exactly polished or so, just to try a few ideas and see how they work.
Cool I'll check it out.