From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Idea: Internal combustion cylinders for steam cranks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw a discussion about engine mechanics changes. Why not make three sizes of internal combustion cylinders to attach to existing steam engine cranks, and using existing carbs/turbos/supers? This would let you make more powerful fuel engines with fewer parts by using the larger sizes, and unify the engines somewhat. Use same cranks/gearboxes/prop shafts and such, just choose either steam or fuel cylinders and build from there.
I think fuel engines are in a pretty good place in terms of learning curve, just challenging enough to be intriguing but simple enough that you can put one together in like three steps.

I believe making them more complex won't meaningfully improve the game and may turn more new players away from it.
More complex? I don't see how it would be more complex, It would just be hooking a cylinder to the same crank as the steam engine and have it do the same things otherwise. No changes to carb/turbo/super, no changes to what the steam crank does, just be able to choose cylinder type to make it turn. If anything it makes things simpler. No need for fuel engine generator and steam engine gearbox to both exist, no reason for two different types of cranks. Just merge those parts, simple little animated con rod on the fuel cylinder to match the steam cylinder. And since people have been wanting larger engines with fewer part counts, different sizes of cylinder could be made.
But you can't really make engine cylinders as these ones are already really big and cylinders in real engines are rarely that big so for realism sake you can't make fuel engine cylinders, that's why no big boat use fuel engines.

I like the idea of using the steam crank to be able to turn a prop directly.
Check out Wartsilla Sulzer engines. True enough they're in cargo ships, but they have a 3' diameter piston, oil burning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A4rts...er_RTA96-C
The actual outside diameter of the cylinder is much bigger than the 3' bore.
I am not sure if alternative size variant of fule engines is needed, but I am not against it.
What I'd like to see is a common shaft for steam, combustion and electric to be used to power propellers and other propulsion/power hungry applications such as paddle wheels or drills.
(2018-12-05, 09:35 AM)harnas1977 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure if alternative size variant of fule engines is needed, but I am not against it.
What I'd like to see is a common shaft for steam, combustion and electric to be used to power propellers and other propulsion/power hungry applications such as paddle wheels or drills.

That's where I was getting with fuel and steam both using the current steam crank. Get to reduce part count without losing functionality. Having that same crank mate with fuel cylinders would let it still work with steam props and the pulley generator for battery power just like they do with steam engines now, only difference would be you get to choose what sort of cylinder makes the crank spin. I mentioned the multiple sizes because I've seen people asking about this, and honestly I wouldn't mind having huge engines with fewer parts for the power. Maybe the current cylinder could be the medium, shrink it for the smaller and have lighter engines for tiny stuff with quick response times, maybe lower block health, and then the larger parts could be heavy clunkers that just gobbed power with slower responsiveness but with the sacrifice of cost and weight. Actual engine size wouldn't necessarily shrink, just fewer individual parts within a given bounding box.