From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Guide to new LAMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A quick LAMS guide, to reflect the changes(higher accuracy, lower DPS, better targeting).

Optimal old LAMS was all pump no extra storage:
  • It fired indiscriminately, storage would waste too much energy on small projectiles(this was the main reason)
  • LAMS did enough damage to just overpower everything

Optimal new LAMS has lots of storage and enough recharge to fill it in maybe ~25 seconds(higher against 4m+ missiles):
  • Storage is relatively cheap
  • Old way of dealing with 10000 health worth of incoming projectiles needs ~5000-15000 DPS for the worst case, depending on situation
  • Most projectiles worth LAMS have 15+ sec reload time(2m+ missiles, CRAMs), so you can possibly use ~1000 DPS with enough storage to hold it
  • Once filled storage will never be completely empty, that's why you don't need to recharge it in ~15s
  • Old way is a gamble, you can possibly get away with 1000 DPS without storage for a dirt cheap system when you expect projectiles to trickle in
  • 500+ RPM APS bursts can't/couldn't be shot down, don't be where they hit or spam shields(APS will be brought down to sane levels)
  • Main downside is that it needs to charge at the start of the battle, same as steam/player team batteries

10K DPS pulsed laser cost estimate:
  • 500 pumps 10000
  • 63 cavities 2520
  • 50000 power ~10000 (with turbos you get 4-6 power/1 material for 10 minutes)
  • Total ~22.5K + overhead

1K DPS pulsed laser+15K damage usable storage cost estimate:
  • 1K DPS pulsed laser cost is 10% of the previous example, 2.25K
  • Needs ~50K storage(you can't use all, depending on node/destab count maybe 30% of the energy will stay in). 2.5 storage energy gives 1 damage.
  • 7 storage cavities give 56K storage, cost 2520
  • Total cost ~4800 + overhead
  • The system scales much better with projectile reload time, against 20 sec+ reload only needs some extra storage cavities with the same power
  • If you have trouble with overkill on huge systems the solution is a combination of: splitting up/less destabs/some extra storage/less nodes/node range configuration

TL;DR:
- use lines of single input+single pump against high firerate(short/small missiles, fast CRAM, APS) or when you need the 2x1 footprint
- use storage cavities+whatever pump config is most convenient otherwise
Example attached with an enemy to fire at it:
- left LAMS is ~5500 materials with power cost included, can get 3 CRAM shells
- right one is ~1800 materials with power, can get ~4x700 HP missiles

[Image: GcrFnFll.jpg]
Made a mistake in the first post, for 1 damage you only need 2.5 laser energy, not 5 with pulsed.
Storage prices decreased accordingly.

Same with pulsed cavities, you need 1/8 pumps, not 4.
Storage-based LAMS falls on its face when pitted against sustained and rapid barrages like the APS spam from the Kobold and SD FBTs. It also doesn't excel against massive barrages of high hp munitions, like from the Thunderclap. The full energy cost combines with the anemic 20% damage output and eats the LAMS' stored energy rapidly and the damage output drops accordingly. At saturation, a storage-based LAMS is about as pointless as waving your weiner at the bullets.

Relying on big reserves of energy which start empty and take dozens of seconds to fill sucks too. Have fun eating that alpha strike with an empty LAMS.

I look forward to spam APS nerfs. That would change the situation a bit.
I would advise turning off targeting of small-caliber APS--set the threshold at the largest amount that still targets small missiles. As Draba said, other solutions to APS are far preferable. If you do insist on tackling APS with LAMS, of course you should use a sustained setup.

As far as alpha strikes go--it would be nice to have lasers start full, as most other systems are heading in that direction and it would still be impractical to rely purely on storage.
Yeah, you have to set all LAMS to ignore everything smaller than approx. 150-249mm and let the shields handle that at the very least. Small missiles are 250mm, medium 500mm, and large 1000mm.

The best all-around setup is likely this:
1. An at least 6k+ (to handle damage depletion) damage 3-4Q for CRAMs and medium and big missiles. Attack only 500mm and larger rounds. This is max size APS, practically all CRAM, and medium or large missiles. >501mm might be a better setting (ignoring APS and medium missiles) depending on your continuous' performance.

2. A big continuous with no destabs or storage cavities, set to ignore rounds smaller than 249mm and larger than 501mm if your 3-4Q laser is good. This will target small missiles, 250-500mm APS, and medium missiles only. I guess it would also target awful baby CRAMs too, but those don't even matter.

3. A vehicle in the water should have some torpedo interceptors. They're stupid good now. If you add this, limit the amount of LAMS nodes that will shoot in the water to maybe one or two.
(2018-11-07, 12:09 AM)Blothorn Wrote: [ -> ]As far as alpha strikes go--it would be nice to have lasers start full, as most other systems are heading in that direction and it would still be impractical to rely purely on storage.

Yep, when the missiles are done I'll ask Nick about at least this thing for lasers.
Easy/fast enough to do and would be a huge QoL improvement.

(2018-11-07, 01:18 AM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: [ -> ]3. A vehicle in the water should have some torpedo interceptors. They're stupid good now. If you add this, limit the amount of LAMS nodes that will shoot in the water to maybe one or two.

Interceptors in general could probably use a 20-30% damage cut, will see how it plays out.
Yeah, they're really strong. I was using the little ones and they totally slaughter a Thyr's (still old design) torpedoes for a tiny fraction of the cost.
(2018-11-07, 01:33 AM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, they're really strong. I was using the little ones and they totally slaughter a Thyr's (still old design) torpedoes for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Nick likes the underwater bonus so torpedos do 50% more damage than missiles, that's deceptive when comparing prices.
Since they have no use for bodies sonar/propeller originally had 100% HP, with the underwater buff it's 50%. That's goodish on shorter torps, maybe too low on longer ones.
For now use shorter torps, for better overall durability in a given cost.
I was just using a test platform with 3 Thyr torpedo turrets as a test target because it was quick to set up. My 3 (12 actual) 3-block little interceptors totally dominated those Thyr torpedoes. I think you're justified to nerf them a bit. A 25% damage reduction seems about right.
Pages: 1 2