From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: DWF Tournament: Seeking Engineers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is Vesimir Black, Grand Master of the Dark Worlds Federation
The DWF is holding a Tournament so you all may test your mettle against each other, as well as representatives of the DWF. The Prize? Recognition and any 1 Thing from the DWF.

The tournament stretches over two disciplines: Water and Air, everything is allowed, as long as the material cost stays under 250.000 and the volume under 25.000, mind you that is the combination of all sub-vehicles presented. The participants will fight in a best of 5 style, so 5 fights and the one with the most wins, also wins the round.
Rules:
1. Spin block clipping is forbidden, except if it is purely for looks.
2. The max flying altitude must be 900m (This includes spawning altitude)
3. The max range must be 5km (This includes the Spawn range and angle)
4. no BP mods
5. The total of all sub-vehicles and spawnables must total up to 25K Volume or less, and 250K Material or less
6. Infinite centralized resources.

To Clarify: Air means everything from 50M to 900M, Water means everything from 50M to -600M, in other words, Submarines are allowed, satellites are not allowed, and there is no need for Spawn Sticks, since the tournament mod will be used

You can participate, by commenting under this thread with #engineer and your Steam ID and you will be contacted. You have 3 weeks of preparation time starting now and the tournament will start on the 29.07.2018 at 11:00AM COT and will be streamed on YouTube/Twitch (Still in the works). The deadline for participating ends on the 27.07.2018, on this day all designs will be sent to me, they shall all be thoroughly checked to see if they pass regulations. The max number of participants is 32. The tournament mod will be used. Any updates will be posted here or on the Steam Discussions Thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268650/di...594599814/

If you have any questions, feel free to post them down below.

Added participants (28/32):

- ROBOCOPLAYS_KFC_EDITION

- RandomNOOBY

- TheSaltySeaMan.

- Zyme

- Arte

- MJRAHOLE

- An Ning

- DahWoogs

- trueno

- nyannokonekko

- dinotoc1

- Eprovan

- Mattyboy0066

- MizarLuke

- Lennox

- animai

- NutterChap

- Skullsploder

- Bullbul

- Gaming 19

- The Lyon king

- SS-310

- Anxiety

- Karl V

- Davv

- ECH0

- nobsniper

- Shouty Boi

Good Luck and Fair Seas Engineers!
Good to see a less limited tournament available. I noticed your post over in introductions and like the idea of it.

Here's a few questions/suggestions:

What is spawn range? I assume angle and altitude are your choice, but range definitely needs specified. Additionally, do spawn sticks count towards resource cost?
Are submarines allowed? I assume so, but it isn't fully clear.
I suggest you add something allong the lines of "avoid general cheese, if you feel like what you're doing might be overly questionable, scale it back some."
I also suggest that you ban proxy HESH and proxy EMP, as both are currently bugged and allow you to get through shields or take out shields qithout a DC head.
I recommend considering some limits on suicide craft, such as possibly no warping or no recoil cheese (you can quickly get past the speed of light that way)
You should also consider banning or limiting gravram
rudder jitter could also be subject to a ban, as well as aimpoint spoofing

Some of these are critical to getting a reasonable tournament, some just make it cleaner and funner to watch.

I myself will likely not participate, but I may assemble something with existing BPs.
(2018-07-10, 02:50 AM)MizarLuke Wrote: [ -> ]*snip*
What is spawn range? I assume angle and altitude are your choice, but range definitely needs specified. Additionally, do spawn sticks count towards resource cost?
Are submarines allowed? I assume so, but it isn't fully clear.
I suggest you add something allong the lines of "avoid general cheese, if you feel like what you're doing might be overly questionable, scale it back some."
I also suggest that you ban proxy HESH and proxy EMP, as both are currently bugged and allow you to get through shields or take out shields qithout a DC head.
I recommend considering some limits on suicide craft, such as possibly no warping or no recoil cheese (you can quickly get past the speed of light that way)
You should also consider banning or limiting gravram
rudder jitter could also be subject to a ban, as well as aimpoint spoofing
*snip*

I gotta say I agree with some of these, but not others. What seems to be the idea here is to get as close to the actual raw gameplay meta, and I think being unrestrictive is very much a part of it.
So things that are clearly not working as intended, like proxy EMP/HESH.
But I also really don't think it makes sense at all to limit suicide craft, or other moreless legitimate use of existing game mechanics, including the act of not putting all of your highly explosive eggs in one basket, or utilizing rudders.

Generally speaking, limitations in tournaments (beyond bans on BP mods and such) serve one of two purposes: A. enforcing a set theme, I.E. a sailship tourney not allowing jets, or B. preventing something from completely choking the meta such that there are only 1-2 different viable designs, for example a tournament with no shields also banning sabot.

But for an anything-goes-but-cheating-and-space, I don't see how either of these apply, with the possible exception of gravrams simply killing the chance of any ocean-bound ship using anything but lasers ever being viable. Perhaps require that they not have inertial fuses?

I just don't think that specific things that different people dislike personally, such as not putting in a PID for smooth movement with rudders, or not putting all of your, highly explosive eggs in one basket, or using either of two complete systems added into the game for their intended purpose... No.

And another thing in the category of outright cheating, one might consider banning aimpoint normalization exploits with LUA, which allow APS shells to be teleported directly into the target. That, I am quite certain, should absolutely be banned.

And on another note, you may want to re-format the rules, having them in a nice organized list as opposed to a run-on sentence paragraph.
Thanks for the feedback! As for the stuffzies I read, the point of this tournament is to hype up FTD more than anything, as our community grows larger, its also getting more separated between The Forums, Steam, Discord and FTD Japan.

I for one am of a firm belief that FTD has no "Meta" since everyone has their own "Meta", those who are in it to win it (Around 14, will update the list) have all got different ideas that they believe will take them to victory, we have PAC's, we have Warping Airships, We have Nukes, the point of the tournament is to show that every "Meta" is good, because can you expect a Gravram to hit a warping target? No, Can you expect a nuke to hit a fast sub? no, Can you expect a bloody Carrier, with a fighter and bomber wing, to easily defeat a proper Airship? No.

I asso agree however that there should be more restricitions, but I feel like that would take away the most important aspect of this tournament: Having Fun.

More than glory more than unison the point is to have fun, to go look at your creation and think: Is this truly good enough? Guess i'm about to find out.....
Will cheessemobiles be brought in? Most likely not, and i'll tell you why: This isn't Esports, there is no cash prize, you are fighting to have fun, and if no-one ever paid attention to you before, they will now, it's an opportunity for everyone to show each other that FTD is still kicking, and that its the 1 game where there is no true "Meta"
Oh and: There are no Spawn sticks, we are using the tournament mod for a reason, altitude cap is 900 for a reason, and rang eis angle and distance, for, a, reason.

Will now update it with the facts that are Proper Recommendations

And one last thing.....
Care to join?
(2018-07-10, 06:20 PM)Vesimir Black Wrote: [ -> ]And one last thing.....
Care to join?

Yeah, fine, why not.

I've got a few recent designs done, so I'll just group them up and go with it.

I'm hoping to get one more design done to add to the squad, but idk if I'll be able to finish it with school work and 2 weeks of camping.

As far as my sugestions themselves, I still stand by the ram for gravrams and warping, they are just too strong. The only counter to warping is hitscan, laser is too weak with smoke and laser absorb, so PACs will really rule, particularly PACs on strafing warping forward broadsiders.

"Will cheessemobiles be brought in? Most likely not, and i'll tell you why"

10/10 Th3Jimmer is definitely going to bring in a cheesmobile.

In general, people want to win. I myself don't like playing with the metas, nor do I really want to dedicate much time to a specifically tournament craft, but I know some do.
Humm humm

250k to build anything, I’m in
If I can't get something together in time I might just submit my SE:BB fleet plus a bunch of planes as a fun punching bag for everyone else. If I get the time I'll take the extra 70k and turn my BB into an absolute monster worthy of dying to the Blast Tyrant Big Grin
Great to hear that we have 3 more in, Good luck lads and lassies!
Although quick question, like me... Are your usernames your Steam ID's?
That's a good question, I don't actually know, been awhile since I've used steam.

What exactly do you need it for?

I'm unsure about the ID or whatever, but the name that shows up is MizarLuke, same as here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4