From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: I think I finally 'get' inline turbo's.... somewhat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Below is a recent attempt to make a pretty simplistic inline turbo engine. Don't ask what iteration of the prototype it is....

3H x 5W x Y long. Staggered flat rows of cylinders with a single carb each, exhaust piped along the bottom, wrapped around the end, and then daisy chained back through the individual turbo's one at a time.

Notes:

1) There's a gap in the bottom middle that's totally empty. That indicates to me there might be a better pattern?

2) Much in the same vein, I basically stuck Superchargers into gaps wherever they fit and stayed within the 3 x 5 dimensions, starting with the spots where more then one carb could make use of them. I know that Super's aren't THAT amazing, except at low RPM, but it's what I could fit.

All thoughts and constructive feedback/criticism welcome.

Stats, as requested: 1000 overall power.
At 100% rpm, it's getting 382 power per fuel (2.6 per second).
at 50% rpm, it's getting 450 PPF, consuming 1.1 fuel per second.
at 10% RPM, it goes to 492 PPF, at 0.2 per second fuel used
Could you please post its stats so we can evaluate it.
I see on the picture that your are using inline turbos not as inlines Big Grin
the game calls them inline when they connect to from a exhaust pipe, not the cylinder (it provides better cooling IIRC turbos only give 0.8 cooling compared to exhaust pipes)

I'm no expert in engines, so I can't help you Wink
(So far I haven't reversed engineered a single design of any type Big Grin after 1300hrs of playing, i just like figuring everything out myself Big Grin)
Actually, their all being used as inlines. Check the picture with the colored exhaust pipes and remember each inline turbo only has two 'connections' for exhaust. They just happen to be running directly next to the cylinders, without actually connecting to them.

(2018-07-09, 10:07 AM)Skyer Wrote: [ -> ]I see on the picture that your are using inline turbos not as inlines Big Grin
the game calls them inline when they connect to from a exhaust pipe, not the cylinder (it provides better cooling IIRC turbos only give 0.8 cooling compared to exhaust pipes)

I'm no expert in engines, so I can't help you Wink
(So far I haven't reversed engineered a single design of any type Big Grin after 1300hrs of playing, i just like figuring everything out myself Big Grin)
OP updated with basic stats
(2018-07-09, 11:34 AM)Greyfell Wrote: [ -> ]OP updated with basic stats

Oh I see now Big Grin
remove these Superchargers, Superchargers much worse than turbos
[Image: WpHmHeO.png]
replace them with cylinders (use adapters to connect them to crankshaft)
engine will have 300% power without noticeable drop in fuel efficiency
I'll give it a shot, but I'm also going to lose an exhaust on all the cylinders as well going that route, FYI.

(2018-07-09, 12:42 PM)killshoot Wrote: [ -> ]remove these Superchargers, Superchargers much worse than turbos
[Image: WpHmHeO.png]
replace them with cylinders (use adapters to connect them to crankshaft)
engine will have 300% power without noticeable drop in fuel efficiency
andddd apparently I've overestimated once again how much cooling an engine needs lol

(Engine BP added to OP)

after Killshoots suggested mod

base power: 2700 (in same space)
100% = 341 ppf, 7.9 fps
50% = 314 ppf, 4.3 fps
10% = 270 ppf, 1.1 fps
The cooling an engine needs is basically related to how much fuel a cylinder uses. So the higher the PPF rating, the less heat it makes. Once you get to the point of a properly piped T3 engine (that is, 3 fully gassed turbos on each carburetor), it gets to the point where you don't actually NEED to have an exhaust pipe on any given cylinder.

Oh, you would still want to have as many cylinders as you can that do have exhaust coming out, if only to provide exhaust to pipe into the turbos. They hit max efficiency when they are able to "use" 30 or more units of gas (though said gas is not ACTUALLY used and can be used by every other turbo afterwards too anyway...), so the more cylinders that have exhaust you can pipe into the turbo system the better.

I am merely saying that in a T3 engine, a cylinder with no exhausts (and no radiators on the engine) will not overheat or even get at all hot.

Conversely, if you are using something with lower efficiency (like a T1 engine i.e. one fully gassed turbo on each carburetor), then more fuel is burned due to the lower efficiency and you will most definitely need to cool them a bit (for T1, a single exhaust should at least prevent overheating).

If you are messing with an injector engine or an engine without turbos, then depending on how its built you may potentially need more than one pipe to avoid overheating, but such instances are uncommon. That said, there is nothing wrong with more then one pipe, since that will still mean a cooler cylinder which can produce more of its full power (and technically a cool cylinder is more efficient then a hot one in this game).
Pages: 1 2