From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Bigger hitboxes for large-caliber shells.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I noticed something odd. In the real world, a projectile will almost always leave a hole in whatever it's going through that is at least as big as the projectile itself. In FTD, a 2m pure-AP CRAM shell will punch a very clean 1m hole in a target and probably not hit anything important in the process. I propose that shells have hitboxes of sizes proportionate to the shell's caliber so that larger shells can make larger holes.
Yeah, I noticed this too. It looks a bit odd if you pause and look at a pendepth that just hit but hasn't exploded yet. I think that there has maybe been some sort of talk about making low-gauge sabots deal holes rather than breaking whole beams, but I think it may remain an FS thing forever.
Before we worry about the pysics of AP CRAMs, shouldn't we give a reason to use them? Killing two blocks or even five blocks instead of one won't make them worthwhile compared to 2 meter HE that can delete half a ship.
How would you balance that? if its making a + shaped hole would it get 5x damage for the 5 Lines of blocks it destroys?
Also The 2m Shell isnt 2m thicc. Theres no way it would make a 2m diameter hole.
I think Kinetic shells with low ap should get buffed instead.
@Unhinged a good AP shell can shoot straight through a ship. I've done testing with AP bombs, and they can normally drill all the way to ammo and AI even buried deep in the hull, Use manual targeting and you can wreck turret caps and engines.

@romanaionas easy to balance, the shell will keep going until it runs out of kinetic energy, as it does now.

for low-AP shells, what do you mean? Do you mean APS? Because APS solid/sabot spam, especially at high guage, is quite strong. CRAMs almost always have high AP.
(2018-06-17, 05:00 PM)romanaionas Wrote: [ -> ]How would you balance that? if its making a + shaped hole would it get 5x damage for the 5 Lines of blocks it destroys?
Also The 2m Shell isnt 2m thicc. Theres no way it would make a 2m diameter hole.
I think Kinetic shells with low ap should get buffed instead.

It does the same amount of damage with the same AP as before. It just does it to a different arrangement of blocks.

And if you look, 2m CRAM shells are, indeed, two meters across and generally the size of a friggin' VW beetle.