From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Does the community want a reduction in air density?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
The purpose of this thread (and more importantly, poll) is to ascertain whether the community of this game would want a reduction in air density on Neter, and probably reduction in aerial thrust, which would mean that thrustercraft need more space and power dedicated to lift, acceleration would be different, and most movements would be smoother and less jittery, meaning better accuracy. The main downside is a reduction in the effectiveness of meta thrustercraft, and the redesign of most GT, SD, possibly DWG, a few WF, a decent bit of TG, and a few LH, thrustercraft and other various aircraft, along with the OW Eyrie.

I'm hoping to gauge support of this idea, resulting from Unhinged's thread, to see if people would want this change to FtD to help debuff the current aircraft.
NO!

There is no reason to fix something that's NOT busted.

If you want movement to be smoother and less jittery use AI, pid, and lua. If your learn what your doing and make a correct setup it will feel like your sliding on silk.
I'd like to help with retrofitting, but I never did flying gunbricks (and flyers in general).
If the same will be proposed for floaty gunbricks, I'll help
Maddog, its not the Jittery movement that is the Problem, its the extreme imbalance of Ships to Airships, Airships being totally dominant to Ship.
Increasing air drag means, airships need divide more power to Up propulsion, meaning use more Volume for engines and Propulsion units itself, making them not as powerful, compared to ships (Probably still more powerful though)
(2018-05-16, 05:18 PM)Lord Maddog Wrote: [ -> ]NO!

There is no reason to fix something that's NOT busted.

If you want movement to be smoother and less jittery use AI, pid, and lua. If your learn what your doing and make a correct setup it will feel like your sliding on silk.

Fixing the jittery movement is merely a side effect of this change. The problem is that EVERY craft would need PIDs to stabilize this, including every campaign craft. Any craft which does have jittery movement has an instant advantage over any other craft, so this will level the playing field for all, but, that said, it is a side effect of this, which is intended as a way to balance aircraft and ships.
Anything to eliminate the floating thruster fortresses of doom and spazzy bricks of unhittability.
I think reduce air drag just make flier faster. it still have the same power to keep flying.

And even so, the current SD and GT faction vehicle will move even faster.

or...reduce water drag instead?

I can't build a boat. because I don't like empty space... I was built a boat but it's submarine now. XD

btw, increase air drag just effect to speed. Any current flier can still fly and carry same weight.

If you don't like flier just set propulsion force down. and any heavy armor brick will drop from sky.
In normal, sane physics, yes, drag just decreases speed. In FTD, weird drag physics mean that more drag = more flying.
The air density is not just drag, its also the lift a wing and dedis can create as more surounding air - more air that can be moved to create a force
A high drag prevents the gravity from accelerating the craft, it provides for the most part an almost equal amount of resistance force to the 9.8m/s neter gravity (i think it might be 10m/s actually, not sure been years since I looked).

It does make going forward easier but theres the max velocity output on jets etc of 140ish m/s after which theres severe diminishing returns so top speed will only be slightly higher but you need more lift (a realistic amount) to stay airborne.

thrust amounts would probably need to be adjusted as well as the drag but for anyone who would like to see how it works then go to "game configuration" in options and override the default air drag to 0.1, you can play with the thrust values as well etc to see how it all fits together.

*edit*
Oop i forgot about the adaptive atmospheric density added in 2.0 and the thrust changes. 0.1 drag now means a good 90%+ factions fliera handle it without refit so the thrust values would almost certainly need changing as well to impliment full ship to flier balance. I'll do a full battery of tests next weekend but proper balance would probably be rather draconian to heavy armour brick thruster craft.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12