From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: "Weapons" that are really missing.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have the pistol, the SMG, the grenade launcher, the blunderbuss and the minigun (And our melee attack) but in my opinion there are a few "weapons" that are missing.

1.) Sniper
-Charges up and zooms in if you hold the LMB. You cannot jump while charging and you are limited to 60% of your movement speed.
-If you release it, the Sniper will fire a powerful laserbeam over a long distance.
-Needs a few seconds to cool down.

2.) Grappling hook
-Fires a grappling hook that will attach to everything it touches. [Range 50 meters/164 Feet]
-Press the LMB again to pull yourself towards your target or to pull it to you (this will happen automatically, if your mass is higher than your targets)
-Allows you to cover a huge distance when you combine it with your jump.
-Switching weapons will cut the rope.

3.) The shield
-Hold the LMB to create a shield in front of you.
-Works like every other shield in the game.
-Slows you down a little bit.

I've heard rumors that the NPCs will return, which is the reason why I suggested it. Not only does a wider variety of gadgets allow the player to play the game in a more tactical way, it would also make it possible to add a wider variety of NPCs with differnt tactics, since the player would be able to fight more effectively.
A few comments: the sniper will just encourage the player to do more. If I can snipe an exposed rack on an AA gun, I will, blowing it and a moderate portion of the ship up. Grappling hook would be nice, but it just further aides piracy. Shield, well, what are you gonna use it for? Maybe if we have NPCs come back, but you aren't going to stop a missile or anything higher than 18mm gauge with it. These might be good, if NPCs comeback, but until then, it just aides piracy and sabotage too much.
(2018-04-12, 03:15 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: [ -> ]A few comments: the sniper will just encourage the player to do more. If I can snipe an exposed rack on an AA gun, I will, blowing it and a moderate portion of the ship up. Grappling hook would be nice, but it just further aides piracy. Shield, well, what are you gonna use it for? Maybe if we have NPCs come back, but you aren't going to stop a missile or anything higher than 18mm gauge with it. These might be good, if NPCs comeback, but until then, it just aides piracy and sabotage too much.
Like I said, this is the exact Idea. If the NPC's come back these weapons will automatically gain use and balance.
Perhaps the heartstone block system can be reconfigured into a shield-power system.

That is to say:

1. The avatar is given very little health and will die from pretty much any attack.

2. What is currently the heartstone stuff doesn't stop you from dying (in certain game modes) any more. Instead, it gives you a rather hefty personal energy shield that can absorb much more damage than your avatar has in health. The maximum is based on the number of heartstone blocks and such (with diminishing returns and such). This actually gives reason to put heartstone blocks on ships. If you take damage from an attack, your shield takes the hit first. After a while, the lost portion will start to recharge. When you are not on a friendly ship with heartstones, the shield energy slowly decreases until its gone.

3. If NPCs or anti-boarding turrets or something get added, it can be changed so that your personal shields no longer decrease when off the ship, but instead just either don't recharge, or only recharge to a much more limited base value.

4. Anti-personel turrets. Small, all-in-one turret blocks that only attack avatars (and later, NPCs) that are within line-of-site and a certain distance of them. These turrets can detect avatars and NPCs. Once destroyed, they will no longer work until a battle ends, even when repairs (much like a nuke). Or perhaps, the "turret" actually generates the gun above only it when out of combat, and thus the important part will not regenerate in combat. Provides a defense against boarders, and would be easier to implement in the short term than NPCs.

With this, boarding will still be viable. However, you will need to build a dedicated boarding vessel to do it. Such a vessel would likely have frontal shields and a bunch of ERA, as large a heartstone cluster as you can manage to power, multiple spawn beacons, repairbots and resources, rams and/or rubber blocks to let you run right at the enemy ship and get on it. It'd require some risk and investment in exchange for your chance at capturing the enemy ship.

On which note...

5. A new part that causes your vessel to "latch on" to another vessel. Either of the vessels can still attack each other if they have weapons with LoS on the other, but their physics frames are essentially combined as if they were a single vessel. This can be used to make sure your boarding craft doesn't just either float away or keep bumping the enemy ship until it just falls apart. You can probably also creatively use it on stuff like "missile" vessels that just try to fly into an enemy flier and attach to it and screw it up by messing with its drag and thrust profiles.
Really good idea, especially for the heartstone!
May I possibly recommend a rifle that sort of works like an APS gun, but with 1mm-20mm gauge options, with sharp limits on maximum shell length (maybe like 100-150mm) and possibly the option of belt-feed or direct-feed or some such?
(2018-07-10, 05:07 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]May I possibly recommend a rifle that sort of works like an APS gun, but with 1mm-20mm gauge options, with sharp limits on maximum shell length (maybe like 100-150mm) and possibly the option of belt-feed or direct-feed or some such?

you can already direct feed Tongue
They are called clipless if you are using direct feed autoloaders
or just direct feed of you put the inputs on the firing piece
All of these sounds good - what about a simple lamp or spotlight too?
I rather enjoy if the avatar could be built together from different modules.
(2018-07-10, 09:26 AM)Skyer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-10, 05:07 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]May I possibly recommend a rifle that sort of works like an APS gun, but with 1mm-20mm gauge options, with sharp limits on maximum shell length (maybe like 100-150mm) and possibly the option of belt-feed or direct-feed or some such?

you can already direct feed Tongue
They are called clipless if you are using direct feed autoloaders
or just direct feed of you put the inputs on the firing piece

A rifle, not a cannon. A personal weapon for the player, not a shipboard weapon. Tongue
Indeed, to be honest, the current heartstone system is a little, well, meh. Its used in certain modes, though seemingly for no purpose other than to make sure you stay on your own ship or to give your ship a point of failure that can kill the avatar.

So repurposeing it as something that relates to the player's available extra health/shields (but not directly their survival) might actually make it more flexible.